A57 Snake Pass Closure February and March 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Like I said before, a good proportion of those attending would never normally dream of walking or cycling up that hill regardless of if the road was open or closed, but have only done so because they need a bit of rebellious excitement in their lives. :rolleyes:
Do you have anything other that “I reckon…” with which to back up this claim?

“Look at these people, taking advantage of accidental cycling infrastructure as though cycling is supposed to be fun or something” is a weird flex on a cycling forum.

You sound like a two-wheeled version of one of those “I liked them before they were famous” musos.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Do you have anything other that “I reckon…” with which to back up this claim?
Not really, except there is nothing to stop a similar ride being safely arranged when the road is normally open, subject to avoiding the aforementioned peak periods, and that doesn't happen.
Similarly, nothing to have stopped a ride being organised in the period between initial closure and the later publicised attempt to prevent cyclist access, or during the previous less controversial closures of recent years. Again, I'm not aware of this happening.
As soon as the story hit the news that the council were trying to fully close the road for a few weeks suddenly everyone was up in arms and determined to stand up to the civil servant bullies.....

Like I said before, it's slightly pathetic, does nobody any favours and achieves nothing, except probably incurring greater expense to the public purse that we all end up paying for.

Simple Simon

Veteran
I would have loved to have given it a go while still open to bikes and traffic free but I’ll be avoiding for the foreseeable.
If anyone wishes to come to the Peak District to ride some hills other than Snake Pass, I’d be delighted to lead a ride that involves several thousand feet of climbing over anything from 50 to 100 miles.
Living just outside Bakewell, I can promise you far more interesting, challenging and traffic free roads than the Snake Pass.
Just don’t ask to go near Winnats Pass. Looks lovely but is a horror!

Spring is in the air and it would make a great day out.

Si

Simple Simon

Veteran
Do you really have challenging and traffic-free roads?
I can string a several hour Sunday morning ride together on roads you might see a dozen cars all ride.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can string a several hour Sunday morning ride together on roads you might see a dozen cars all ride.

I 'tried' to mention something similar earlier in the thread - plenty of other far more exciting and picturesque climbs locally. I won't even mention if you do the MTB routes, you get far far better views than you'd get on a road bike (via road routes). If I mention how good The Peak is generally, these internet lot might keep coming. Us snotty locals don't want pesky outsiders :laugh::whistle:

Reactions: C R
I 'tried' to mention something similar earlier in the thread - plenty of other far more exciting and picturesque climbs locally. I won't even mention if you do the MTB routes, you get far far better views than you'd get on a road bike (via road routes). If I mention how good The Peak is generally, these internet lot might keep coming. Us snotty locals don't want pesky outsiders :laugh::whistle:
If you stick to the MTB routes, then we can come and ride on your nice (nearly) empty roads. :cheers:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Having cycled up the Snake from Glossop about 150 times, I walked up for the first time on Sunday.

It was glorious. All you could hear were the streams, the curlews, the cyclists breathing heavily as they passed. In fact a couple of cyclists were obviously not regular riders and could only manage our walking pace, but they made it to the top and that's all that matters. Probably saw about 30 cyclists in the hour it took us to walk to the top. No cars, no plant, really very nice

We then went onto the Pennine Way and headed back to Glossop down Doctor's Gate. 8 miles all in and great fun

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cycled Glossop-landslip-Glossop this morning; an update

No problem cycling, DCC staff said nothing, did nothing. Saw a couple of cars but that's it. Had a chat with the contractors at the landslip. It's still moving and until it stops moving they won't do any work on it. They are considering reopening it to <7.5 tonne traffic next week but no firm decision. Controlled my traffic lights. When it does stop moving and the work commences, they will reclose that stretch as it is now

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
One more update. Rode Glossop all the way over the Snake to Bamford. No DCC employees in Glossop and, interestingly, nobody at the landslip section. Just a set of temp lights. There was an employee at the Ladybower end presumably stopping cars

There were a few cars at the Summit which I guess came up from Glossop

Probably saw about 50 cyclists coming the other way, no cars, no plant

Top Bottom