A57 Snake Pass Closure February and March 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One more update. Rode Glossop all the way over the Snake to Bamford. No DCC employees in Glossop and, interestingly, nobody at the landslip section. Just a set of temp lights. There was an employee at the Ladybower end presumably stopping cars

There were a few cars at the Summit which I guess came up from Glossop

Probably saw about 50 cyclists coming the other way, no cars, no plant

SNAP - I was about 10 minutes in front of Nicky this morning. One motorbike and a few cars, one at the summit. To me, it looks like it will be closed for ages. Virtually no progress with the works.

Simple Simon

Veteran
And if the Snake Pass is just too much of a faff, you are welcome to come and join me on some of these busy roads😎
55D0E623-037F-42DA-A203-074FCE556CB2.jpeg

Binka

Über Member
I fancy it tomorrow, probably from the east as I can’t be bothered to drive over Woodhead to Glossop. Where is the best place to park and will there be officials trying to head cyclists off? 😁

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Snake Pass will reopen to all traffic except >7.5tonnes tomorrow (Tuesday).

What is happening is an extended monitoring period where the engineers will assess continuing movement of the landslip sections. When it's stopped moving they will reclose the road and commence work

So, it will be pretty well back to normal. But when the work starts we will have to see whether the landslip sections are passable by bike, as they have been for the past few weeks. They may not be. But in any case the run Glossop-landslip-Glossop is very nice (about 20 miles with 2,400ft of climbing)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So ... First it was closed and a few locals were riding up and down it. Then it was shut down by bureaucrats warning of the huge perils involved. Then it was going to be the site of a mass trespass that could spark a revolution with webels pouring in from all directions to the dismay of the grumpy locals, who said that anyway it wasn't a very interesting place after all. Then the webels lost interest. And the grumpy locals carried on riding up and down with renewed interest. And now officialdom has lost interest in the huge peril, which isn't such a big deal after all, so they have just opened it again. The End.

Is that about the size of it?

Last edited:
  • Laugh
Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
So ... First it was closed and a few locals were riding up and down it. Then it was shut down by bureaucrats warning of the huge perils involved. Then it was going to be the site of a mass trespass that could spark a revolution with webels pouring in from all directions to the dismay of the grumpy locals, who said that anyway it wasn't a very interesting place after all. Then the webels lost interest. And the grumpy locals carried on riding up and down with renewed interest. And now officialdom has lost interest in the huge peril, which isn't such a big deal after all, so they have just opened it again. The End.

Aside from further landslips, that's about it.

Well .. sort of ...

The "webels" turned up in some numbers from several directions and legally rode up a piece of road that was quite nice due to the (almost total) lack of motorised traffic. The bureaucrats realised they were on a sticky wicket, and decided not to stop them.
Some people are still (legally) riding up and down. All the noisy internet people that said they shouldn't - and they were mainly motorists who said cyclists should stick to The Rulez - have gone very quiet. This is perhaps good; you tell us!

The grumpy locals seem to be at least two flavours - keen cyclists and keen drivists - so I can't be bothered to analyse both groups' behaviours post-webellion.

Top Bottom