ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
10021F4D-B337-41B9-B537-8E875FD9B8D4.jpeg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
046F1E13-EB50-489D-933E-7AB946F36CF4.jpeg
1321C023-45A9-4EEE-B249-38255BE8E12F.jpeg
1449B987-46A7-49CE-84AE-B136BD2D86B6.jpeg
D34CBEF7-73E3-4039-A5D1-C8D2A507212B.jpeg

Yes the Syston sign is the other side of the Queniborough sign. Yes I went and got the Rearsby photo and went back^_^

steverob

Guru
I've found a V and it's only a 200km round trip

View attachment 451159

Verney Junction is the "V" I was planning to use.

I'm only 15 or so miles from it and was so glad when I saw on Google that it had a sign, as it's not even a village - I'd barely say it even qualifies as a hamlet! It's the site of a junction of two disused railways that was quite important back in the day, until Beeching came along (one line might be reinstated in future, but the other is long since gone and built over I believe). Basically the former station-master's house and I think one other building are there and that's about it.

Last edited:

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Six years ago I changed my job to one only two miles away and started cycling to work.

Around four years ago, approaching Forty, I admitted to myself that the middle age spread was spread too thickly and had arrived a little too early. Changing my diet worked for the first few weeks then there was a plateau. I knew I had to increase my metabolism to continue to lose weight so I started extending my journey (two miles is hardly a commute) home.

Four years, six bikes and four stone lighter I'm happy with my weight, I'd love to lose one more stone and I might get there eventually but I am happier now.

Anyway, when I started to cycle further the first route I used to take was down the cycle path next to the river Exe and back. No hills, no cars, it was perfect for me at that time. Regularly rode 20km down to a pub called Turf Hotel and back, I didn't partake it was just a good distance. After becoming proficient at this I started looking further afield. Still not looking for hills or too much traffic I extended further down the river. This route is about 2/3 cycle path and 1/3 quiet roads. A distance of 37km with a whopping 73m of elevation!

'D' is for Dawlish Warren.

IMG_20190208_173604747.jpg

I still enjoy the route from time to time and I still remember being fairly chuffed with myself the first time I accomplished it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom