ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Small hamlet South of Harrington

View attachment 452501
West of Kettering
View attachment 452502
Thanks - don't often get out that way on my bike.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
As I had the bike still in the car from the other day, I took the opportunity this morning to drive to Buckinghamshire and about 8/9 miles from Oving parked up and rode to blag O,P & Q. What a lovely day for a ride.

So, ladies and lads here are some photos for your perusal.

Oving
O.JPG

The village is host to one of the oldest football cups the Oving Villages Cup, which started in 1889.

Pitchcott
P.JPG

A datestone records that the Manor Farmhouse was built in 1657.

Quainton.

Q.JPG

At the George & Dragon pub its got a lovely coffee/tea shop, and of course THIS

R & S next are quite easy, but after that my progress is going to be slow, those idiots offered me that job today. Twats.

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
As I had the bike still in the car from the other day, I took the opportunity this morning to drive to Buckinghamshire and about 8/9 miles from Oving parked up and rode to blag O,P & Q. What a lovely day for a ride.

Oving
View attachment 452520
The village is host to one of the oldest football cups the Oving Villages Cup, which started in 1889.

Pitchcott
View attachment 452521

Quainton.

View attachment 452523

At the George pub its got a lovely coffee/tea shop, and of course THIS

R & S next are quite easy, but after that my progress is going to be slow, those idiots offered me that job today. Twats.
Congratulations on your new job ? I hope it does not get in the way of your cycling too much !!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Oving
View attachment 452520

Pitchcott
View attachment 452521

Quainton.

View attachment 452523

At the George pub its got a lovely coffee/tea shop, and of course THIS

It is a nice ridge along there.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Drove to Dunsop Bridge this morning, parked and extricated the bike.
I wanted to ride the Trough of Bowland. I’ve only done it once before, 3 years ago, and couldn’t get up it without a stop halfway up. This was on one of @ColinJ rides.
This morning the old Rotrax and me made it all the way! :bicycle::hyper::wahhey:
Combined age of me and the bike 136 years :becool:
Reward of this was to bag my Q.

5B25806B-69AD-45A1-AD4B-2912BB397F8E.jpeg

More attractive sign at the crossroads:
29720FC3-426C-440B-A53C-4362A9CC3A09.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Drove to Dunsop Bridge this morning, parked and extricated the bike.
I wanted to ride the Trough of Bowland. I’ve only done it once before, 3 years ago, and couldn’t get up it without a stop halfway up. This was on one of @ColinJ rides.
This morning the old Rotrax and me made it all the way! :bicycle::hyper::wahhey:
Combined age of me and the bike 136 years :becool:
Reward of this was to bag my Q.

View attachment 452527

More attractive sign at the crossroads:
View attachment 452528

Your bike is 36?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Aravis

Putrid Donut
[QUOTE 5537314, member: 9609"]sounds good to me[/QUOTE]
I don't know, @User9609. I think this challenge is one of the best ideas I've ever seen on the forum. The subject of the River Jordan sign is a physical feature, not a human settlement, and the target letter isn't at the start. If that's OK there's hardly any of the original challenge left.

I was pondering today what might happen when this challenge has run it's course. I'd hope it would continue for another round, perhaps with a different subject. River crossing signs was one of the ideas I was thinking about. It could also be farm signs, encouraging us to tackle some of those steep roads to nowhere in particular that everyone else avoids (cough). Church signs might work (St. Andrew, St Barnabas, St Catharine, etc.), or perhaps locations on brown tourist signs.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I don't know, @User9609. I think this challenge is one of the best ideas I've ever seen on the forum. The subject of the River Jordan sign is a physical feature, not a human settlement, and the target letter isn't at the start. If that's OK there's hardly any of the original challenge left.

I was pondering today what might happen when this challenge has run it's course. I'd hope it would continue for another round, perhaps with a different subject. River crossing signs was one of the ideas I was thinking about. It could also be farm signs, encouraging us to tackle some of those steep roads to nowhere in particular that everyone else avoids (cough). Church signs might work (St. Andrew, St Barnabas, St Catharine, etc.), or perhaps locations on brown tourist signs.

Some good ideas here, how about Twin Towns visit the town then visit the twin in another country. That’d be hard.

lane

Veteran
Yes that would be good. One probelm I have explained the challenge to my wife and she was distinctly underwhelmed but accepting. If it involved frequent trips oversees I can see more objections.

Top Bottom