ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
My nearest J is over 37 miles way, I don't have the luxury of spending all day in the saddle so I had to plan this letter blagging carefully. I bunged the bike in the car and drove to just outside Juniper Hill near Brackley, Northamptonshire and planned to get in J, K L, M, N, according to my planning the ride was going to be about 30 miles, which quite frankly in my present state of cycling attitude did not really appeal, but I knuckled down and got on with.

May I present to you today's sign posts.

View attachment 452050

Famous for being the birthplace of Flora Thompson

View attachment 452051
In 1926 Hubert Budgett founded the polo club here.

View attachment 452052
When I was planning the ride I could not see the sign on Google Street View, so wasn't sure if I was going to get 'L' today. I was pleased to see it otherwise it would have been another 6 miles to get 'L'. This must be the biggest sign for the smallest place I've been to so far.

View attachment 452053
There's a Manor and Castle here somewhere.
View attachment 452054

Dirty sign so I tagged it innit.

View attachment 452055

From what I can see there is the square root of Feck All in Newton Morrell.

Over half way through the challenge.
Very nice ride and at least four of those signs I recognise - well, maybe not the signs themselves, but certainly the villages they belong to! They are all at the very western limit of my riding range at the moment (if I'm doing a round trip from home anyway), so I have been through most of them at least once.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Very nice ride and at least four of those signs I recognise - well, maybe not the signs themselves, but certainly the villages they belong to! They are all at the very western limit of my riding range at the moment (if I'm doing a round trip from home anyway), so I have been through most of them at least once.

My next four are probably going to be in Buckinghamshire.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
[QUOTE 5534255, member: 9609"]Did you do them all in strict alphabetical order in one ride ? if so then I think you have the record with 9
very impressed

Daglingworth is a great name too.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely, yes. I needed a few convolutions to get it right:

AtoI.jpg

Like most, I suspect, I thought it was going to be easier than it is! Even the common letters have a habit of not appearing in the areas you want them.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well as you've just done N, then O-P-Q is VERY easy in Bucks, as there are three villages quite near me all in a line, no more than 3 miles between them - Oving, Pitchcott, Quainton - and I can confirm they all have signs!

Yep, they're the ones I checked out yesterday, and not that far away there's an R as well if I want it, but there's another R and S very near me. There's a Quarrenden too, but I couldn't see a sign for that.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5534503, member: 9609"]V is going to be a big problem for me - there is a farm that begins with V (its on OS maps) but he doesn't have a sign - can I make a paper one for him?[/QUOTE]
Hey, it’s your game you can make up the rules. But no!

steverob

Guru
Yep, they're the ones I checked out yesterday, and not that far away there's an R as well if I want it, but there's another R and S very near me. There's a Quarrenden too, but I couldn't see a sign for that.
Yeah, Quarrendon is just regarded as a part of Aylesbury, so it won't be separately signposted.

For the R, I'm guessing at Rowsham? That's the one I was probably going to go for, but while it is signed, it's a very busy A-road and there's not really any verge to speak of from my recollection, so it'd be difficult to stop, park the bike and take a photo without running the risk of being flattened by a lorry.

EDIT - actually having just looked on Google StreetView, it's not too bad in one direction, so I'll make sure I do the sign on that side of the village and not the other one!

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Hey don't forget your passport especially with Brexit just around he corner

I’ll be all in black, I’ll go Stealth mode, got away with it yesterday when I nudged into Northamptonshire.

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5534503, member: 9609"]V is going to be a big problem for me - there is a farm that begins with V (its on OS maps) but he doesn't have a sign - can I make a paper one for him?[/QUOTE]

Hawick Golf club? Usually referred to as Vertish Hill.

Top Bottom