ABC, Towns and Villages

Aravis

Here for the ride.
There's also Quebec in Co Durham, and Jersey Marine near Swansea.

Both have suitable signs. Travel plans for next year could be strongly influenced.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going off topic a bit, how about "Your bike in a place that is mentioned in a song" ?Might be worth a thread, but it would be too much of a push to expect them to be in alphabetical order.

burntoutbanger

Über Member
Got my 'Q' today.

Wimped out a bit, going from home, Exeter, would have been a minimum of 165km round trip with around 1800m of climbing (flatter but longer routes were an option). Starting and finishing from Taunton (£12.50 train, half an hour each way) got it down to 94km with 603m of climbing, much more achievable. There was a brisk westerly wind, I didn't realise how brisk until the return leg. I'd routed through a fair amount of lanes though so got some protection from the hedgerows. The forecast light rain didn't materialise barring a decent shower just outside Taunton again on the return leg. Not usually one to take shelter but with a train to catch I did take ten minutes in a bus shelter while the worst of it passed. The route was very flat and I'd made good time so a couple of laps around the town centre took my distance over 100km which was a hoped for bonus.

The rest of the alphabet should be easy pickings, I even have a fairly local 'Z'.

Last edited:

Aravis

Here for the ride.
New York has the traditional village sign and this snazzy one. The letters are cut out and it took a few goes to get the light right so you can see them

View attachment 488764
Intuitively I'd expect places with a big-sounding name to want to make something of it, and this looks like good evidence! All too often hamlets have nothing to identify them at all; it'll be good to improve the odds a bit.

The namesakes-themed A-Z is going to take a long time, and I don't intend to get too legalistic about precise matches. For example, anything called simply "Newcastle" is deemed to be a namesake of the Tyneside version. There's one of these near Monmouth, up a hill which I'd usually avoid. I know it's good for me. :okay:

Aravis

Here for the ride.
Another step on the second run through. It was every bit as gloomy as it looks:

Arlington, Barnsley, Cambridge, Dunkirk.

Top Bottom