Abcde

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have no sympathy for the parents. I have every sympathy for daughter. I've seen a lot of terrible names but this must be one of the worst.

Cue the anecdotes...

ETA: Incidentally, I would be quite happy for the airline employee to be fired or otherwise disciplined, possibly even prosecuted if they've breached data protection or confidentiality.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I saw this and wondered "did her parents think for one second how the poor girl will live with this name?" *

* don't worry, I know the answer: they didn't care, they simply thought it would be fun and different. Not stupid, heartless and foolish at all. The poor girl's going to change it quickly I'd presume.

But then there's another 327 poor kids in the United States in the same boat :rolleyes:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Why do so many Mr & Mrs Birds name their sons Richard? I actually knew four at one time.

There was a Dickie Bird in one of the Luton cycling clubs. He went on later to set a Guinness world record for the number of marathons run in a year - 71!

It's challenging growing up with a name that attracts ridicule. It's just another attack vector for bullies.
Even well into adulthood I would encounter the odd person who found it hilarious to point out that I had the same name as a famous celebrity.

Honestly, why would you give your child a name like Abcde?

classic33

Leg End Member
How about Summer, daughter named Autumn. "Funny" when called out at school or anywhere the surname is used first.

Drago

Legendary Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46393501

don’t laugh, this is a real name and is not a laughing matter.

I do sympathise with the parents a little, but if you don’t want people to laugh at your daughter’s name don’t give her a stupid name in the first place.

The poor kid has to go through her whole life with that name.

Unreal. I was telling my daughter, young VWXYZ, that she should thank her lucky stars I'm a responsible parent. We then went and took our dog Eva Braun for a walk.

PK99

Legendary Member
For interest:

The Icelandic Naming Committee[1] (Icelandic: Mannanafnanefnd;[2] pronounced [ˈmanːaˌnapnaˌnɛmt])—also known in English as the Personal Names Committee[3]—maintains an official register of approved Icelandic given names and governs the introduction of new given names into Icelandic culture.

The Naming Committee was established in 1991[2] to determine whether new given names not previously used in Iceland are suitable for integration into the country's language and culture. The committee comprises three appointees who serve for four years, appointed by the Minister of Justice—one to be nominated by the Icelandic Language Committee, one by the Faculty of Philosophy of the University of Iceland, and one by the university's Faculty of Law.[3]

A name not already on the official list of approved names must be submitted to the naming committee for approval. A new name is considered for its compatibility with Icelandic tradition[4] and for the likelihood that it might cause the bearer embarrassment.[5] Under Article 5 of the Personal Names Act,[5] names must be compatible with Icelandic grammar (in which all nouns, including proper names, have grammatical gender and change their forms in an orderly fashion according to the language's case system). Names must also contain only letters occurring in the Icelandic alphabet, and with only occasional exceptions, a name's grammatical gender must match the sex of the person bearing the name.[6]

As of the end of 2012, the Personal Names Register (Mannanafnaskrá) contained 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names.[7]

Top Bottom