Abcde

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Summer Numbnuts?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Actually that's not her first name but her initials.

Her full name is [to be read in the voice of Eric Morecambe]:
A You're adorable B You're so beautiful C You're a cutie full of charms D You're a darling and E You're exciting and F You're a feather in my arms Redford.

Sixmile

Veteran
The mother may well get used to the ridicule the name receives. You can be sure it'll be a life long lesson. If she thinks Abcde is going normalise itself well. One of my nephews has a name that every time I use it, changes whatever the conversation was instantly to 'sorry, what was that name?' and then it's normally followed by a conversation purely about the name then.

classic33

Leg End Member
Son of Andrew :smile:
No Andrew, or RN connection, in the family of the one I mentioned.

If you think about how the names are called surname first, then first name at school, you'll see why it sounds odd. Funny to the parents though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The mother may well get used to the ridicule the name receives. You can be sure it'll be a life long lesson. If she thinks Abcde is going normalise itself well. One of my nephews has a name that every time I use it, changes whatever the conversation was instantly to 'sorry, what was that name?' and then it's normally followed by a conversation purely about the name then.
I cycletoured with a friend once who, when asked where we came from (in my case: London), started out by saying 'outside Ramsgate?' This invariably led to a lot of 'Near Dover'...'Dover...? Boats from Calais?', with a lot of Manuelesque 'que?' in response. After a few days he came from London too...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I cycletoured with a friend once who, when asked where we came from (in my case: London), started out by saying 'outside Ramsgate?' This invariably led to a lot of 'Near Dover'...'Dover...? Boats from Calais?', with a lot of Manuelesque 'que?' in response. After a few days he came from London too...
He could probably have described it successfully with reference to that London. I never tire of explaining where Lynn is: about 100 miles north of London and 50 north of Cambridge, in the notch in England's east coast, capital of West Norfolk. I can do that in several languages. Anything to avoid being thought of as a Londoner and potentially mistaken for @Markymark :smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
He could probably have described it successfully with reference to that London. I never tire of explaining where Lynn is: about 100 miles north of London and 50 north of Cambridge, in the notch in England's east coast, capital of West Norfolk. I can do that in several languages. Anything to avoid being thought of as a Londoner and potentially mistaken for @Markymark :smile:

.... until you go to Nepal, where you will all end up coming from Aldershot, it being, as we all know, the biggest most important city in Europe.
(And the location of the Gurkah garrison)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Visiting a maternity ward in a west of Scotland hospital, a friend of mine was talking to someone who was the proud mother of a newly born baby girl. She asked if they had a name for her yet. "Aye", was the reply, in a very heavy Glaswegian accent. "Wur gonnae ca' her "YESSATTISS"."
Errrrm, says my friend, that's a nice name; where does that come from?

"It's efter the perfume, intit".....
w140876y.jpg

Top Bottom