Abcde

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I knew a lad at school called Victor Duck - an unfortunate pair of initials.
Not great as a spoonerism, either.

Venod

Eh up
There was a Dickie Bird in one of the Luton cycling clubs. He went on later to set a Guinness world record for the number of marathons run in a year - 71!

If he had set the record nowadays I wondered if he would have Tweeted about it.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
If he had set the record nowadays I wondered if he would have Tweeted about it.
Oh he would... he was quite a character! lol

He has a website and its posted on there... http://richardbird.me.uk/component/content/article/8-local-news/49-marathon-man

For those who don't like opening links, some details:

Of the 71 marathons, only four were outside the 4 hour mark.
The fastest was 3hrs 10 minutes, which he did twice.
He even took a break part way through to fly home because his father in law had died.
Before this challenge he had never run a marathon.
The record when he started was 53 marathons in a year but he later found an Italian had beaten that with 63.

PaulB

Legendary Member
No names of kids hold any surprise to my wife. She's the boss of the disabled children's services in our part of the world and has come across so many unusual names, they don't register any more. She used to tell me real humdingers like twin boy and girl called Blue and Pink. She's also seen a girl called Chlamydia, loads called after wines like Chardonnay and she's started to see the name Prosecco become increasingly popular. The most ridiculous one though is a girl whose name looks perfectly normal but the pronunciation of it just cracked her up. On the information sheet, the child's name is written Yvonne. All straightforward there then but when the mother said the name, my wife did not know what the hell she was on about. She pronounces it Wah-Vor-neh and no recommendations to the contrary will change her mind.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I used to work with a guy called Bob Don.
Not all that funny but he took great pride in signing his name as R.Don. (If it was on an office birthday card etc he'd sign it "Best wishes, from the finest R. Don in the country")

winjim

Smash the cistern
No names of kids hold any surprise to my wife. She's the boss of the disabled children's services in our part of the world and has come across so many unusual names, they don't register any more. She used to tell me real humdingers like twin boy and girl called Blue and Pink. She's also seen a girl called Chlamydia, loads called after wines like Chardonnay and she's started to see the name Prosecco become increasingly popular. The most ridiculous one though is a girl whose name looks perfectly normal but the pronunciation of it just cracked her up. On the information sheet, the child's name is written Yvonne. All straightforward there then but when the mother said the name, my wife did not know what the hell she was on about. She pronounces it Wah-Vor-neh and no recommendations to the contrary will change her mind.
I've heard stories like that but with English phonetic pronunciation of Irish names, such as Siobhan.

Top Bottom