About time too! Action against Nigerian fraudsters...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fresh from this morning's inbox:

"I am Mrs. Farida Waziri the Present chairman of ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC). EFCC in alliance with economic community of West African states (ECOWAS) with head Office here in Nigeria.

We have been working towards the eradication of fraudsters and scam Artists in Western part of Africa With the help of United States Government and the United Nations.

We have been able to track down so many of this scam artist in various parts of west African countries which includes (NIGERIA, REPUBLIC OF BENIN, TOGO, GHANA CAMEROON AND SENEGAL) and they are all in our custody here in Lagos Nigeria.

We have been able to recover so much money from these scam artists. The United Nation Anti-crime commission and the United State Government have ordered the money recovered from the Spammers to be shared among 100 Lucky people around the globe.

This email is being directed to you because your email address was found in one of the scam Artists file and computer hard disk in our custody here in Nigeria and with the information gathered from this Scam artist, we notice that you have been scammed of so much money and have decided to compensate you you with a little token to recover the lost of your fund.

You are therefore being compensated with the total sum $2.5 Million Dollars. We have also arrested all those who claim that they are barristers, bank officials, Lottery Agents who has money for transfer or want you to be the next of kin of such funds which does not exist."

It's all the more decent of them given that I haven't actually been scammed. Now if you'll excuse me...

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
They must think people are stupid

nigelb

Scary thing is that if there was no money to be made from scamming, people wouldn't bother.

So, some people must I guess still be falling for a "Nigerian scam" derivitive - "you send me $100 and I'll send you a pack to get rich quick scamming others" sort of thing.

Personally, I'd like to see each scam traced back to source, I'd like to see ISP's taken to task for the activities of their customers, we should remember that gratuitously trying to rip people off isn't acceptable "just because its a scam email". Make the person whose machine sent the email responsible, and we'd see people tightening up their security.

Nige

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
nigelb said:
Scary thing is that if there was no money to be made from scamming, people wouldn't bother.
Quite!

Someone I know once phoned me up in great excitement saying that they had won £25,000 on a lottery that they hadn't taken part in! Well, actually, they just said that they'd won but when I pointed out that I'd received a copy of a similar letter that morning and I hadn't entered the lottery, they admitted that they hadn't either... Even then, they refused to believe that it was a scam and accused me of being "too cynical"!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This site is great fun for the 419 enthusiasts...

http://www.419baiter.com/

Enjoy.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It would be impossible to stamp it out; internet cafes all over Nigeria and Africa are full of people doing 419 all day. They know that it would only take one small success to make what, to them, is a fortune. I have a Lebanese customer in Lagos who says his sales and marketing staff do it all through their lunch break. He doesn't care.

It's beginning to dawn on me that Nigerians do it to the rest of the world because it's an incredibly successful scam within Nigeria. In big cities like Lagos you have massive populations of people who have recently arrived from their village in the hope of making a fortune. There are hundreds of different frauds that can be perpetrated on them. It's very common as you go around Nigerian cities to see big hand-painted letters on the fronts of houses saying "This house is not for sale - beware 419" because so many people have been sold properties that don't actually belong to the seller. Just about every Nigerian you meet can tell you a heart rending story about how their savings were taken or somebody cheated or short-changed them.

Top Bottom