About to pull the trigger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
So yesterday I kind of had the go ahead for n+1! We had a trip to Decathlon to grab some bits n pieces and I was eyeing up a Mach 740 they had in. Looked a really smart piece of kit. Mrs MBE came strolling over and simply said "get one if you want one"... WOW! :hyper:If I was an impulsive person I would of bought it there and then but something told me to hang on and have a bit of 'net research time.

Out came the laptop when we got back home and I settled down for a few hours of searching and boy it's hard work! My mind is now spread all over the place, looked at lots of bikes but the only one that I would go and get straight away was an S Works that was just bootiful, unfortunately it was a smidge over budget. Today I've got my eye on a Scott Addict 10..... This could be a tough few weeks! I have a feeling my life will now be taken over until I decide.

One thing that does keep niggling me is, do I really need one... :wacko:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Want to swap wifes?
I get the third degree if i buy a tyre.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you have a lump of disposable with no bills etc to pay, then you need it more than if you did have those commitments.

Must say your wife is like mine, she likes me to treat myself more than I do myself.

mustang1

Guru
So yesterday I kind of had the go ahead for n+1! We had a trip to Decathlon to grab some bits n pieces and I was eyeing up a Mach 740 they had in. Looked a really smart piece of kit. Mrs MBE came strolling over and simply said "get one if you want one"... WOW! :hyper:If I was an impulsive person I would of bought it there and then but something told me to hang on and have a bit of 'net research time.

Out came the laptop when we got back home and I settled down for a few hours of searching and boy it's hard work! My mind is now spread all over the place, looked at lots of bikes but the only one that I would go and get straight away was an S Works that was just bootiful, unfortunately it was a smidge over budget. Today I've got my eye on a Scott Addict 10..... This could be a tough few weeks! I have a feeling my life will now be taken over until I decide.

One thing that does keep niggling me is, do I really need one... :wacko:

This. I was the same way with some camera purchases earlier in the year. So I bought three of them. Two of them just sit around looking vaguely pretty but the third one gets plenty of use. I also convinced myself I needed a bike. But its too expensive for me so it just kinda sits around in pieces.

You don't own the bike. The bike owns you.

I mentioned the OP`s post to my missus and the reply was I don't stop you buying anything just make sure you have the money and make sure you have paid this & this........... Ok I surrender.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've got the Mach 720 with the original campagnolo spec (it's since been downgraded a bit). It has same wheels as the 740, my campagnolo is Centaur v Athena with the 740

Very happy with it. Done 3000 miles since getting it this Spring and its still running well

OP
OP
MickeyBlueEyes

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
IMG_0764.JPG

This was the machine in question originally. It was the wheel reflectors that did it for me! Never rode or maintained Campag before, always been a Shimano kid but part of me would kinda like to give it a go. It's kitted out with Athena throughout so a decent level.
Don't get me wrong, I think Mrs MBE was having a hot flush with the suggestion, she really surprised me to be honest. She knows cycling is my passion and lets me get on with it but she doesn't push me to it if that makes sense.
Just been looking at my bestie in the kitchen after it's had a spruce up. New bar tape would make it look much nicer I must say, and it's pretty much specced how I'd buy a new one too, although I think I'd go to 11 spd from 10.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yeah the frame is the same I'm sure. Did you get yours with black bar tape and hoods? I reckon it looks even better out of the shop in ride mode!

Yes, that is exactly as it came out of the shop (minus spoke reflectors!). At the time it was £1299 (it's £1099 now as they have downspecced it somewhat) and I couldn't find anything similar spec for less than £1500

Top Bottom