About turbo trainers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
In theory I like the idea of a Smart one, but cost and space are the issues mean I can't really justify one at the moment, especially as I've never used one at all - I'd be happy enough leaving a fluid or mag on in my bike shed I think, and I think the best place to use it on a dry day would be outside the house next to the bike shed - I can see straight into the dining room from there, so I can set my laptop up so I can see it and the sensors communicate (hopefully) Pair of cordless headphones and I'm set I think.

My thoughts are to get a second-hand one and see how I get on. If I love it, maybe I'll rethink the smart trainer and I can always re-sell the second-hand one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was avoiding a 'smart' trainer for this reason. Also because I don't really know if I'll get on with it, so I'm getting a cheap one first. Perhaps if I have a garage one dat I'll get a 'smart' one. I think I'm right in saying that some transmitters fitted to the bike frame and an HR monitor on me will send useable data to Golden Cheetah - which might not be very well callibrated, but will at least be consistent.

I've no idea what Golden Cheetah is, but I assume it's some open source programme. If you have Garmin sensors and similar Ant+ HR monitors then they can be picked up by an Ant+ dongle for your laptop/computer. One slight spanner in your works is that the range isn't great. I run a 2m USB extension lead to the Ant+ sensor which is tied to the leg of the turbo. You'll have to get that wire out to near your sensors. If the computer is in the house, you may have a problem.

I've used Golden Cheetah and was quite happy with it for doing workouts with intervals; as it controls the resistance automatically on my trainer - without a workout to focus on I found I got bored too easily (and have subscribed to Zwift).

Incidentally, providing you're not looking to do much sprint training (since it has a max wattage around 700W) then this is not much more than a non-smart trainer sensors: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

As far as I know this is the cheapest controllable trainer (ANT+ FE-C) you can buy. I've been using mine twice a week; although I did break the first one somehow and returned it for a refund then bought again...

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
The whole point of a turbo is you can use it if you don't fancy getting soaked in bad weather. I.e nice days you go for a real ride.
There is that - thing is by the time I get in from work, eat, do parenting, do bedtime and then do adulting (tidying, dishwasher-loading, packed lunch making etc) it's gone 9 o'clock, and often nearer 10. I don't mind getting wet really, but I don't really like the idea of heading out for a ride at that time. The idea of the turbo is that I can get some decent exercise done in quite a concentrated way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is that - thing is by the time I get in from work, eat, do parenting, do bedtime and then do adulting (tidying, dishwasher-loading, packed lunch making etc) it's gone 9 o'clock, and often nearer 10. I don't mind getting wet really, but I don't really like the idea of heading out for a ride at that time. The idea of the turbo is that I can get some decent exercise done in quite a concentrated way.

Similar to myself. If the weather is bad, consider where indoors you could use it.

Yorksman

There is no noise from the magnetic brake on a turbo trainer as there is no contact at that point. The point of contact that generates any noise is that between the bike wheel and the roller. Using even hybrid road tyres will cause some vibration and noise. You really need a turbo trainer tyre which is very smooth. Some people use a special mat underneath, but it's not as good as having a TT tyre. This does cause a problem for those who want to use the bike both on a turbo and on the road. The best solution is have two wheels, each with the relevant tyre. It is much more convenient though just to use a cheap 2nd hand bike on the turbo. Weight doesn't matter and it doesn't need lots of gears. It saves you a lot of problems.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
There is no noise from the magnetic brake on a turbo trainer as there is no contact at that point. The point of contact that generates any noise is that between the bike wheel and the roller. Using even hybrid road tyres will cause some vibration and noise. You really need a turbo trainer tyre which is very smooth. Some people use a special mat underneath, but it's not as good as having a TT tyre. This does cause a problem for those who want to use the bike both on a turbo and on the road. The best solution is have two wheels, each with the relevant tyre. It is much more convenient though just to use a cheap 2nd hand bike on the turbo. Weight doesn't matter and it doesn't need lots of gears. It saves you a lot of problems.
On the other hand direct drive trainers save you having two wheels, tyres don't matter and in general the noise levels are unrivalled quiet

BILL S

Guru
The whole point of a turbo is you can use it if you don't fancy getting soaked in bad weather. I.e nice days you go for a real ride.

The trouble with smart trainers is that you may start out as you suggested but they can turn you into a 100% indoor cyclist as has happened to me. They are great for satisfying your competitive instincts.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/team-bkool-cyclechat.144689/page-2191

Top Bottom