absolute beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@thunderlips76 what he ^^ says in a year you should be able to do it one days ride, I did my first 100 mile day with in a year and I was 49 I do quite a few 50+ miles and find them easy enough, Barnsley to York is easy enough, not sure about North of York but for the most part it should be easy, I know it starts to climb a bit, but being where you are you will get enough practise

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to CC.

As everyone else has said. Just go and ride, buy padded shorts and turn those pedals. The people at Planet X are nice folks and will give you a ton of info without pressuring you to buy a bike.
Enjoy your month on the council loaner in the meantime ^_^

MarkF

Guru
I hadn't ridden bike for 20 years either before I started again and I wish I'd had the sense to ask a question on a cycling forum. Buy the right sized bike! I thought there were kids bikes and adults bikes, two sizes.........:blush:

I'd buy a hybrid so you can mix your riding till you find what you like best, mine gets used far more than my road or MTB, trail, towpath, road, shopping etc. Good luck. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
I'm off on holiday so it'll be when I get back when I get one.....looking at a trek 14 speed road bike on eBay (used) and a Carrera from halfords for like £240 new........although people keep telling me to steer clear of halfords

I'm off on holiday so it'll be when I get back when I get one.....looking at a trek 14 speed road bike on eBay (used) and a Carrera from halfords for like £240 new........although people keep telling me to steer clear of halfords
Nothing wrong with the Carrera's by all accounts the TDF's are quite high geared the Virtuosois might be the better option. I think @numbnuts has one.
Ponty seems a good Halfords get quite a bit of stuff and the guys seem to know what they are doing and friendly.

Numbnuts hasn't got one, I ride a Thorn
Wonder who I am think of then, it will come to me some time in the next 6 months.
Sorry about that.

Sharky

Guru
If you can get it at a good price, looks like a good starter bike. I think it is from the low end of what you would expect for a decent racing bike, but good to make a start with.
Don't know, but it was probably in the mid £300's to buy new?

Size wise, very difficult to know unless you have a starting point. Some of my club mates are taller than me, but ride smaller bikes. Would be advisable to go into as many bike shops as you can, with a wooden metre rule and start measuring some of the key distances.
- saddle to pedal
- saddle to handle bar
- saddle to brake levers
- handlebar/saddle differential.

I say take a wooden rule, because it makes the dealer think that you know what you are looking for and even if you don't he will give you sensible answers. After a few shop visits, you will know what you are looking for.

When looking at different bikes, it's those key distances above that you need to look for. Frame sizes themselves are miss leading as frame geometry nowadays can be quite different. You can make lots of tweaks buy adjusting/replacing stems and seat posts, but make sure they are not already at the maximum extensions to start with.

Cheers and good luck

Keith

nicrbr

hi guys,

so I've been thinking about starting cycling for a long time ( about 4 years ), I'd really like to change my current lifestyle and include cycling for fitness and as a hobby. I'm 38 years old and probably slightly over weight although I wouldn't consider myself unfit ( I run 3k three times a week and play football once a week). problem is I haven't been a bike for 20 years.......and never rode a bike on the road with gears. Any advice how to get started?
I'm 39 and have started cycling to work and back every day for last 3 months,I would say I love it.

Like you I used to run /jog,but cycling so much more enjoyable.

So I would wholeheartedly recommend cycling.

Top Bottom