Abundance of Female Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Yesterday for the first time ever I think there was a much higher proportion of female cyclists on my commute in to work in the morning. I would say 80 to 90 % female, I was amazed.
Quite a few students but otherwise a real mix of old and young, slim and not.

I thought it was fantastic, I recon the key to getting more people on bikes is if more women took to it so its not seen as something middle aged white males do.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Glad to be doing my bit!

I think I only saw one female cyclist this morning; I overtook her then she undertook me as I waited behind a Bus to draft at the lights, promptly overtook her again. To be fair though it was a male cyclist who done similar at the next juction (and the next) where the road is being altered for the tram works and buses have to swerve left then right. This seemed like a stupid place to undertake to me.

Jim_Noir

It was a girl at work that got me into comuting by bike, which in turn has caused an addiction to two wheel pedal power! But yes I do see a lot of females out on bikes.

ChrisKH

Guru
Loads where I work. And they're as good /bad as the men when it comes to road craft, RLJ, etc. Noticably fewer helmet wearers.

I noticed this last night, it was 50/50, old and young couples, solo females and solo males. In the 6 miles between villages and towns where there is quieter roads and cycle routes, people use them!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I don't see that many other female cyclists (apart from pootlers with baskets in front getting their veg at the farm shop, which is fine). I cycle on Thursday evenings with the Colchester cycling group and there are usually 9-10 of us, with usually one other woman apart from me.

I think if more women knew how great cycling is for weight loss and how it tones you up nicely, more would do it. However the fact that you really need to wear different clothes than your normal stuff is a bit irritating, and the fact that fewer women wear helmets doesn't surprise me as they don't work with lots of hairstyles (including if I put mine in a ponytail).

Maz

Guru
It would be great to see some women cyclists, but I've never see any on my commute. A couple of blokes, but that's about it, to be honest.

CatVert

but more than a couple of womens' bottoms used as profile pictures on this forum. Is this to compensate for the lack on the road do you think??

Top Bottom