Abundance of Female Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Auntie Helen said:
I think if more women knew how great cycling is for weight loss and how it tones you up nicely, more would do it. However the fact that you really need to wear different clothes than your normal stuff is a bit irritating, and the fact that fewer women wear helmets doesn't surprise me as they don't work with lots of hairstyles (including if I put mine in a ponytail).

Why do you really need to wear different clothes than your normal stuff? Have you not seen this, in most countries where cycling is common, they just wear normal clothes. As for helmets, don't get me started they are pointless anyway so why bother?

Maz

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
in most countries where cycling is common, they just wear normal clothes.
I'm all in favour of it - as long as they get changed into a fresh set of normal clothes once they get to work.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Maz said:
I'm all in favour of it - as long as they get changed into a fresh set of normal clothes once they get to work.

Why?? Would you make them change if they walked to work?

PashleyPrincess

The number of female cyclists on my commute is increasing every week it seems. So glad as I no longer feel conspicuous cycling in normal clothes. I have just been working away in York and I loved the overwhelmingly 'Copenhagen' attitude to cycling there and the majority seemed to be female. Conversely I was in London a couple of weeks back and I had my folder with me - I disliked the aggressive attitude of cyclists - I felt that in capital cycling was a serious business and very competitive. The women dressed like men and everyone was in lycra and hi vis. Didn't like it.

Helly79

I am a female cyclist and find cycling very addictive, so much so that I took part for the first time in the Norwich 50 on 07/06/09. I always wear my helmet try to stop a red light etc and look out for other road users. I also drive a car so I understand the fustrations that car drivers have. From a female perpective I like cycling to work because I get there quicker than car/public transport, it keeps me fit, good for the enviroment, it a cheap way to travel, and I always get a space to park my bike!

I do cycle into work in different cloths but not lycra even though my hubby think i would look good it in other people may differ lol

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Hairy Jock said:
Why do you really need to wear different clothes than your normal stuff? Have you not seen this, in most countries where cycling is common, they just wear normal clothes. As for helmets, don't get me started they are pointless anyway so why bother?
I wear different clothes as otherwise I am covered in sweat when I arrive. The lycra just deals with it much better. Especially in winter, when I get chilled if I wear cotton.

I tend to wear the helmet to help keep my head warm and because people expect it of me, I don't feel it adds to my safety particularly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the problem is finding suitable normal clothes to cycle in.

My normal jeans that I wear off the bike are too big at the bottom of the leg and get caught and covered in oil - so I have a slim fit stretch pair in a dark colour so that I can pedal/not get trouser leg stuck/doesn't show the oil. Also you sometimes buy a pair of trousers thinking they will be good - only to discover the stitching in the bottom isn't cycle friendly:ohmy:

Winter time I find clothing boring.... its summer time when all the different shorts, 3/4 trousers etc can come out with strappy tops (if the weather was warm enough).

Even with the tops you have to look for ones that are long at the back knowing that you will be bending forward. And consider the cleavage area when bending forward too:biggrin:! (And not I'm not of ample proportions in that area).

And as I have said before I'm still struggling with the skirt on a bike issue. Any one got pic's of what shape of skirt is the best sort to cycle in? (Female point of view not male!!!)

Jim_Noir

My OH has worn her tartan hellbunny mini on the bike with spandex leggings under it, I have said this is a car crash waitng to happen. So she has gone out and bought a Londsdale tennis skirt for cycling, it's short black lycra, and sort of does look like it's a cycling garment.

summerdays said:
I think the problem is finding suitable normal clothes to cycle in.

My normal jeans that I wear off the bike are too big at the bottom of the leg and get caught and covered in oil - so I have a slim fit stretch pair in a dark colour so that I can pedal/not get trouser leg stuck/doesn't show the oil. Also you sometimes buy a pair of trousers thinking they will be good - only to discover the stitching in the bottom isn't cycle friendly:ohmy:

Winter time I find clothing boring.... its summer time when all the different shorts, 3/4 trousers etc can come out with strappy tops (if the weather was warm enough).

Even with the tops you have to look for ones that are long at the back knowing that you will be bending forward. And consider the cleavage area when bending forward too:biggrin:! (And not I'm not of ample proportions in that area).

And as I have said before I'm still struggling with the skirt on a bike issue. Any one got pic's of what shape of skirt is the best sort to cycle in? (Female point of view not male!!!)

Trouser clips for flared jeans, I've ripped a few in the pedals/crank arms. :smile:
And shirts/blouses done up for 'not causing an accident with cleavage' incidents(and keeping off bugs and the hi-speed chill). Although maybe this makes it safer for female cyclists, male drivers waiting at junctions etc?:smile:

PashleyPrincess

summerdays said:

Well this proves you can wear a pencil skirt :smile:. I sometimes do but it's a hassle requiring constant re-arrangement as it rides up. And of course tights rather than hold-ups are a necessity for obvious reasons. A line is best or culottes which I wear alot.

I don't think about it great deal. If I want to ride my bike I do and whatever I'm wearing that day will have to work on the bike. Simple.

gemsno4

Yeah a-line skirts all the way. I wear hold ups so I know it has ridden up too high when I can see the tops! Otherwise really short with thick tights, although you have to put up with some comments - last time I did this a man flagged me down to tell me I had magnificent thighs (I don't)....

Hey Pashley Princess, I have a Pashley too, but a Sonnet. Do you also have a brompton? I am moving soon so will have to go part way on the train, any tips for buying one?

PashleyPrincess

gemsno4 said:
Hey Pashley Princess, I have a Pashley too, but a Sonnet. Do you also have a brompton? I am moving soon so will have to go part way on the train, any tips for buying one?

Yes I have a Brommie and whilst it will never be as pretty as a Pashley I love it. I commute partly by train and that's the reason I got it; it makes life so much easier.

In terms of buying one I'd just say don't be tempted to buy anything else - nothing will fold like a Brompton and there's no point compromising. As you buy them to order in the main, you can get a bike tailored to your exact needs. I didn't choose the rack but I did go for the front pannier. Choose the puncture resist tyres but not the marathons - they don't roll as well. I chose the three speed hub as it is nice and tidy and although I have a steep climb this is all I need. In fact the gearing on the Brompton is far better than I've experienced on any other bike. You also sound like a girl after my own heart so I'd say experiment with colour - it's the only way to retain some semblance of cool/dignity on one and the 2009 range has some fab colours. I got purple haze but you can mix and match the colours- having one colour on the frame and another colour on forks and rear triangle. Co-ordinate it with your bag and shoes for sheer cycling glamour ;)

Even on a Brommie you can still pull off 'elegance over exertion'.:angry:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
summerdays said:
I think the problem is finding suitable normal clothes to cycle in...

You could try following a few of the links from Copenhagen cycle chic, not that I ken much about fashion, but there are lots of people cycling all over Europe who aren't speed obsessed Lycra freaks (unlike my self and most of the posters on here) who are happy to cycle in normal clothes. If utility cycling is ever going to become mainstream in the UK, something which I for one would very much welcome, then people need to feel that they can just cycle in ordinary clothes (and not be sneered at because they are not on a road bike and therefore not a serious cyclist, not that anyone here would do that, would they)...

Top Bottom