Abundance of Female Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Auntie Helen said:
I
However the fact that you really need to wear different clothes than your normal stuff is a bit irritating,

I think that depends on what your normal stuff is. I commute in the same jeans I wear daily, and if I'm going out on a longer ride, then cycling gear is my normal stuff, if you see what I mean.

It's perfectly possible, if you want to, with the right bike and the right kind of cycling, to wear whatever you like. Padded shorts or underwear is probably the only essential item - and even then, I don't wear padding for my local about town trips. None of my female friends who cycle for utillity wear anything but normal clothes.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Tharg2007 said:
Yesterday for the first time ever I think there was a much higher proportion of female cyclists on my commute in to work in the morning. I would say 80 to 90 % female, I was amazed.
Quite a few students but otherwise a real mix of old and young, slim and not.

I thought it was fantastic, I recon the key to getting more people on bikes is if more women took to it so its not seen as something middle aged white males do.
Typical, my eldest has bad stomach pains and doesn't eat all day Monday so I have to look after her and take her to the Docs, instead of joining Tharg on our commute route.... just my luck to miss all the lovely totty young females on their bikes. ;):sad:;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would say definitely more men than women on my routes but I don't mind that:biggrin:

However I did see one today that I did think the male members of CC might appreciate - long knee high boots, little flappy skirt and nice top, on a purple sit up and beg bike. She turned off the hill before I could see if she could make it to the top in a lazy style.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
RedBike said:
I obviously live in the wrong place :sad:

You and me both Red! :laugh:

summerdays said:
I would say definitely more men than women on my routes but I don't mind that:biggrin:

However I did see one today that I did think the male members of CC might appreciate - long knee high boots, little flappy skirt and nice top, on a purple sit up and beg bike. She turned off the hill before I could see if she could make it to the top in a lazy style.

To re-itterate what Magnatom said, that is useless without some sort of up skirt spy shot evidence. ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was going to take a photo once I got to the top of the hill as I liked the stylish way she was dressed - that's how I would like appear on a bike.

(I actually figured that for once I could beat someone up that hill!!)

CatVert

;) nothing like a bit of stalking... you could have carried her coat and hand bag as she struggled up the hill i suppose, she may not have turned off and everyone's a winner.

redjedi

Über Member
summerdays said:

After that teaser, the least you could do is wait at the same junction until you see her again, and take a few piccies ;)

All for research purposes you understand.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
redjedi said:
After that teaser, the least you could do is wait at the same junction until you see her again, and take a few piccies ;)

yes, then follow her taking more pictures, follow her to work then take pictures of that too then wait until she finishes and take more pics before following her home :sad:

gemsno4

summerdays said:
I was going to take a photo once I got to the top of the hill as I liked the stylish way she was dressed - that's how I would like appear on a bike.

(I actually figured that for once I could beat someone up that hill!!)

I wouldn't necessarily be sure you could beat her! I ride a pashley and if i am feeling lazy wear my work clothes (skirt & heels). I can hear people puffing away behind me trying to overtake and always want to point out I am doing about 15-17 mph and am 25 years younger than most of them so don't feel too bad. I think that would make it worse though ;)

Note - I am still really slow and get overtaken all of the time so I have to take pleasure on the rare occassions I can manage it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
redjedi said:

I had to get to school to pick up my youngest:biggrin: but I'll be going through that junction for the next 3 weeks yet I think.

gemsno4 said:
I wouldn't necessarily be sure you could beat her! I ride a pashley and if i am feeling lazy wear my work clothes (skirt & heels). I can hear people puffing away behind me trying to overtake and always want to point out I am doing about 15-17 mph and am 25 years younger than most of them so don't feel too bad. I think that would make it worse though :sad:

Note - I am still really slow and get overtaken all of the time so I have to take pleasure on the rare occassions I can manage it.

It wasn't the bike so much as the way she rode it ... I usually find if I wear a skirt it rides up all the time .. I haven't mastered that yet... so stick to trousers and shorts mostly if I'm going somewhere on the bike.

gemsno4

summerdays said:
It wasn't the bike so much as the way she rode it ... I usually find if I wear a skirt it rides up all the time .. I haven't mastered that yet... so stick to trousers and shorts mostly if I'm going somewhere on the bike.

I can help with that. It depends on the skirt, the tighter the more it rides up I find. A-line are better but you need to keep an eye out for the wind catching it then. The risks of trying to cycle whilst looking cool and not causing crashes by giving everyone an eyeful!:bravo:

purplepolly

This has made me think and I can safely say that apart from a colleague leaving the car park and the odd granny out shopping in the evenings I've never seen another woman on a bike when I've been commuting.

Top Bottom