accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Not at all, i thought i had a London accent (born and bought up in Blackheath ) but somebody last week said i had a sussex accent !! strange as i lived in Kent LOL

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
actually, Brum is far south of centre... the true midlands of Britain and the UK is up here in Lancashire... sorry.

the 'bath/barth' thing apparently comes from the aristocracy of London wanting to set themselves apart from and above the common man, so pronounced words like 'bath' as 'barth'... the further one travels from London, the closer to the original pronunciations one gets, tha knows :smile:

but yes, be proud of your regional accent... putting on some faux posh/english accent is denying who you are.

When i was in America a couple of years ago, i apparently had a Swedish accent :eek:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I wish I had more of an accent but like most kids growing up in the Forces, you move around enough that there's not enough time for one to stick. I spent long enough in the North East as a kid to do Geordie (strictly Northumbrian - slower and roll the r's) like a native and I used to be able to do a convincing Norwich, but I can't summon it up now.

I've lived in Hampshire for 20 years now and occasionally knock out a foyve instead of five, but although you can still hear the Pompey/Southampton accent out an about, the proper Hants countryside accent is dying out. Andover is probably it's last stronghold, but that's no excuse to go there!

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
not a chance proud of my scottish accent and i dont tidy it up for anyone...if ye cannae understand me then tough

RedRider

Pulling through
I love accents. Mine gets influenced by those around me but not always in the same way. I've moved around the UK from Liverpool (18 years) to Scotland (6 years) back to Liverpool (4 years) and then London (15 years).
When I lived in Scotland just about everyone I knew was Scottish and I really picked up the accent. Even Scots thought I was one of them! It disappeared after I moved back to Liverpool and I've stayed 'Scouse' in London even after 15 years (softer tho), possibly because there's such a variety of accents in the people I know here. I suppose the odd 'innit' creeps in and a bit of Yorkshire from my partner but I'm even more Liverpool after taking a drink.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Raised in scotland until I was 21 then moved around the country due to my nursing career; Norfolk, Manchester and Essex.
My kids all have non-specific english accents (even the youngest who was born in Scotland after I moved home)....I'm married to an American, and everyone here in Scotland thinks I have a posh accent :laugh:

Top Bottom