accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No, but I find I have to speak slower for the English, the Welsh are fine as are the Scots

:angel:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Sorry but nothing like far enough North. Try Haltwhistle in Northumberland.
from wikipedia:

For centuries Meriden, to the west of Coventry, West Midlands, held the claim to be the geographical centre of England, and there has been a stone cross there commemorating the claim for at least 500 years. The justification is that the point farthest from the sea is in the vicinity of Meriden. A rival claim for the true location of the centre of England is made by the site of a tree, the Midland Oak, situated on the boundary between Lillington and Leamington Spa, Warwickshire. Morton, Derbyshire also claims to be the centre of England as it is not only midway along England's longest north - south axis but also midway between the East Coast and the Welsh border. The town of Haltwhistle in Northumberland (NY706640) sports banners stating that it is the 'Centre of Britain'. By another calculation the centre can also be said to be Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire (previously in the West Riding of Yorkshire), 71 miles (114 km) to the south.

Schiehallion, a mountain in Perthshire, is sometimes described as the centre of Scotland.

However, 2002 studies by the Ordnance Survey pinpointed the centres more precisely, and it is their results that are quoted here.

Great Britain

• Whitendale Hanging Stones, near Brennand Farm, outside Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire in the Forest of Bowland.(
    17px-WMA_button2b.png
    54°0′13.176″N 2°32′52.278″W; grid reference SD6418856541) [2]
Great Britain (excluding islands)

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Attachments

• 17px-WMA_button2b.png
    17px-WMA_button2b.png
    698 bytes · Views: 31

RedRider

Pulling through
Yup :thumbsup:

If you go over t'hill from me and into Darwen and Blackburn it becomes a T Cake, freaks! :tongue:
I made a big fuss in a Leeds chippy one time over trying this exotic local delicacy, 'bread cake'. Imagine my disappointment!

London Female

Über Member
Not at all, i thought i had a London accent (born and bought up in Blackheath ) but somebody last week said i had a sussex accent !! strange as i lived in Kent LOL

I was born not far from you, Forest Hill, lived there until I was 25. Recently I was told I had an Australian accent :wacko:

Top Bottom