accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Wow Bollo, you must have been a particularly unpleasant child to cause such a reaction!:giggle:
It was not a place where difference was welcomed. But, to answer you directly, I was a little @#%^.

inkd

Born and raised in Somerset and was proud of my accent, then moved to Hampshire 8 years ago and its almost gone apart from some words although I still roll my R`s apparently.

As a Coventry kid born and bred (with Brummie parents) I always find it funny, now that I live in beautiful West Zummerzet, that the locals all remark on my funny Northern accent. Everything's relative I suppose.

With regards to centre of the country, I was always led to believe Meriden just north of where I was born, is the true centre, in being furthest from the coast than anywhere else in Great Britain. No off with you Yorks and Lancs centre of the Country mythsayers. :-)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
With regards to centre of the country, I was always led to believe Meriden just north of where I was born, is the true centre, in being furthest from the coast than anywhere else in Great Britain. No off with you Yorks and Lancs centre of the Country mythsayers. :-)
Irrefutable proof that it is Haltwhislte:

clip_image002_000.gif

MarkF

Guru
Accents are all good, apart from the Wakefield accent which is so flat and monotonous, I should know I'm from round there!

Funny that you say that, my junior football team played in Altofts yesterday, I picked up on it straightaway, only 20+ miles away but like another world. Coming from the cosmopolitan (^_^) north Bradford/Leeds border, my players found the Altofts kids accents hysterically funny, the Altofts kids were not happy.

My father was Irish and spoke with a very strong southern accent till he died, after 40+ years in the UK. My mother was born in Bradford but had elocution lessons as a child, I don't really have one, but can go all flat capped after drinking.

Leaway2

Lycrist
not a chance proud of my scottish accent and i dont tidy it up for anyone...if ye cannae understand me then tough

A Scottish colleague of mine use to talk really fast especially when he was excited. It was very difficult to understand him. I used to say "Ross your talking too fast" to which he would reply "no yurrrrrrrrrr listenin' too slowly"

Last edited:
U

User482

My family are all Londoners, but I grew up in Lancashire (Ramsbottom too @smokeysmoo). The result was my relatives thinking I'm a flat-capped ferret botherer, and my school friends thinking I was an eel-chasing pearly king. It was very odd.

Top Bottom