accents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

That sort of thing seriously creeps me out!
I was in London earlier in the year and found myself speaking to a few people who had started the conversation in a London accent and ended it in a Scottish accent. I'm sorry, who are you trying to be? Do you think you are trying to make me feel more welcome? Are you trying to be my friend or something? Do you really think I wont notice you putting a fake accent on? I even heard when your voice changed! Stop it, just stop it and speak as you normally do and stop trying too hard you patronising git! I mean, who are you??!!

I change my accent for nobody by the way.

Well my house is about 335 miles from Lands end, and 337 miles from John O Groats. So East Yorksire is actually the midlands.

:whistle:

:popcorn:

Ahh, but you forget to take into consideration the (albeit) small adjustments for Lizard Point and Dunnet Head.

Besides what about places like Muckle Flugga? :whistle:

Last edited:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
That sort of thing seriously freaks me out!
I was in London earlier in the year and found myself speaking to a few people who had started the conversation in a London accent and ended it in a Scottish accent. I'm sorry, do you think you are trying to make me feel more welcome? Are you trying to be my friend or something? Do you really think I wont notice you putting a fake accent on? I even heard when your voice changed! Stop it, just stop it and speak as you normally do and stop trying too hard you patronising git!

I change my accent for nobody by the way.

Ahh, but you forget to take into consideration the (albeit) small adjustments for Lizard Point and Dunnet Head.

Besides what about places like Muckle Flugga? :whistle:

And of course as cyclists, we're more than aware of the much-heralded ride LIPDUH......

Nah....I'll stick with LeJoG thanks

gbb

Legendary Member
As gorra Not'num akcent, an am pra'd orit :smile:
Raised in Nottingham in my formative years, despite not having lived there for 35 years, i still think i have retained the accent...till i read that, or go back visiting. Then i come back with a much stronger accent. Love it and pra'd ovit (as i tend to say )

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Wikipedia ,,, I would not trust it as far as could throw it (and my monitor is verrryy heavy)
But on this occasion I do know there is a plaque in the phone box in Dunsop Bridge that says Centre of Britain

Oh and Joey Barton is just a proper knobber

[Philip]

I'm from Birkenhead! everyone here where I live in Londinium can hear the bit of a scouse accent, but family up north think I sound "dead posh" and southern.

Others think I'm from brum, which makes me cry.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Wikipedia ,,, I would not trust it as far as could throw it (and my monitor is verrryy heavy)
But on this occasion I do know there is a plaque in the phone box in Dunsop Bridge that says Centre of Britain

that'll be about 4 miles out of place... you just can't trust a plaque :tongue:

anyway... OP is insisting we concentrate on England now :sad:

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I was born and raised in Plymouth and moved to Kent at the age of 23,
I'm told you can still hear my accent, and sometimes get called Farmer Rhys at work.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Accents are all good, apart from the Wakefield accent which is so flat and monotonous, I should know I'm from round there!
Some people pick up accents because they unconsciously mimic what they hear or want to fit in, others steadfastly hold on to their original childhood accent for life.
I'll never forget phoning a friend up now in Ayrshire who was born and raised in Barnsley... I nearly apologised and put the phone down thinking I had the wrong number when a Scottish person answered the phone!!

Top Bottom