Accessories for a Carrera Crossfire 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well lean it against a car then. That is what I normally do when I get home, while I go round to open the garage door (it only opens from the inside). Your rake hoods should be the only bit actually touching the car, and those shouldn't scratch it.

It's a flat bar bike but the end of the bars should still be fairly soft.
Halfords isn't necessarily the best/cheapest place for accessories. A track pump without a gauge is fairly pointless IMO. You should be able to find something decent for £20

OP
OP
M

Milena

Also is it ok to remove the pannier rack often? Or am I better off only removing the pannier bags and keeping a smaller bag that goes ontop of the pannier rack designed especially for pannier racks. I do not know what these bags are called.
Because I do do longer distances such as 30 miles+. And the more weight, the worse it is for long distance.

How do I find out the weight of my current tires? They are Carrera Puncture Protect by Kenda, Hybrid, but I cannot find anything on them on Google.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Also is it ok to remove the pannier rack often? Or am I better off only removing the pannier bags and keeping a smaller bag that goes ontop of the pannier rack designed especially for pannier racks. I do not know what these bags are called.
Because I do do longer distances such as 30 miles+. And the more weight, the worse it is for long distance.

How do I find out the weight of my current tires? They are Carrera Puncture Protect by Kenda, Hybrid, but I cannot find anything on them on Google.

Leave the rack on (find a lighter one that meets needs) and get a rack pack e.g.
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zefal-Unisexs-Traveller-Pannier-Rack/dp/B0773JF5BR?th=1
Compared to the overall weight of the bike a 500g rack won't have much impact.
Chunky fat tyres will be heavy, at least a 1-1.5kg I'd think for pair plus tubes. You can get slime tubes, heavier and a bit dead feeling but if you're really scared of punctures, might be a solution

Last edited:

Dadam

Wider tyres like your 42c can be easier than narrow ones. I just fitted M+ to my hybrid bike, these were 35c and I had very little problem. I only needed a lever for the last bit of the rim. The previous set I fitted on this bike (G-one allround gravel tyres) I didn't even need to use a lever! Technique is everything though and you only get this with practice.

Your rims should be able to take a wide range of normal bike tyre widths so you're not limited to only 42c

With a normal rack which is bolted to the attachment points, you leave the rack attached all the time. You clip and unclip the bags as you need. There are some that clamp on the seatpost that are easier to remove but they won't take as much weight.

It's a very old low-res video but this is the best video I've seen on fitting a tyre. It really clicked for me when I watched this

View: https://youtu.be/-XUFVrl0UT4?si=-i_0L0gVPoloBHxw

OP
OP
M

Milena

Wider tyres like your 42c can be easier than narrow ones. I just fitted M+ to my hybrid bike, these were 35c and I had very little problem. I only needed a lever for the last bit of the rim. The previous set I fitted on this bike (G-one allround gravel tyres) I didn't even need to use a lever! Technique is everything though and you only get this with practice.

Your rims should be able to take a wide range of normal bike tyre widths so you're not limited to only 42c

With a normal rack which is bolted to the attachment points, you leave the rack attached all the time. You clip and unclip the bags as you need. There are some that clamp on the seatpost that are easier to remove but they won't take as much weight.

It's a very old low-res video but this is the best video I've seen on fitting a tyre. It really clicked for me when I watched this

View: https://youtu.be/-XUFVrl0UT4?si=-i_0L0gVPoloBHxw

I saw that video already. BTW what is that guy using at 2:33? It sounds ilke he says tow straps, but I googled that and nothing like what he uses comes up. But then its such low quality and his hand gets in the way, that I cannot see the ends of the straps in the video.

This video shows an even easier way to do it. But then you have to carry cutting pliers with you, which might be against the law as they are sharp? Plus added weight to carry.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyESOxmq67U

So what width of tires do I go for IF I replace my tires? Also I really need help on deciding as I have no idea how long the Halfords 10% off offer is running for.

I can then use that weight and compare it with other more puncture resistant tires to determine what tires I want to replace them with. Also I would like to know the level of puncture resistance the Kenda tires have. Schwable have a resistance scale chart.

Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
I saw that video already. BTW what is that guy using at 2:33? It sounds ilke he says tow straps, but I googled that and nothing like what he uses comes up. But then its such low quality and his hand gets in the way, that I cannot see the ends of the straps in the video.

This video shows an even easier way to do it. But then you have to carry cutting pliers with you, which might be against the law as they are sharp? Plus added weight to carry.

So what width of tires do I go for IF I replace my tires? Also I really need help on deciding as I have no idea how long the Halfords 10% off offer is running for.

I can then use that weight and compare it with other more puncture resistant tires to determine what tires I want to replace them with. Also I would like to know the level of puncture resistance the Kenda tires have. Schwable have a resistance scale chart.

Thanks.

Kenda puncture resistant tyres in a 40mm seek to be 600-700g each
Do you have a picture of yours? There’ll be something in the Kenda site that is the same as the Halfords special

OP
OP
M

Milena

Kenda puncture resistant tyres in a 40mm seek to be 600-700g each
Do you have a picture of yours? There’ll be something in the Kenda site that is the same as the Halfords special

What is x42c? I cannot find what this is in mm
There is only the halfords website. https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...d-bike-2020---grey---s-m-l-frames-346094.html

My cycle has gone for cleaning and repair at an LBS. I told him he can keep the bike as long as he wants, no rush.
Where did you get the weight info from?

vickster

Legendary Member
What is x42c? I cannot find what this is in mm
There is only the halfords website. https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...d-bike-2020---grey---s-m-l-frames-346094.html

My cycle has gone for cleaning and repair at an LBS. I told him he can keep the bike as long as he wants, no rush.
Where did you get the weight info from?

It’s 42mm. Google brought up some Kenda tyres in that size for sale at Amazon, the weight was in the spec.
You could just weigh the tyre (or ask the LBS too while they have it off the bike) but imo you are completely overthinking this tyre weight thing for a heavy utility bike :smile:

Alex321

Veteran

Toe straps, not tow straps. The straps used to hold old-style toe-clips to your shoes, if you don't have clipless pedals.

It is not illegal to carry cutting pliers. They don't have a sharp edge that can be used as a weapon. Even if they did, if you have a legitimate reason to carry them, then it is legal to do so.

If this Halfords offer ends, another will be along in a few weeks.

I would probably go for something between 35 and 38 width if the majority of your riding will be on road or gravel. You only really need wider than that if you are going to be riding muddy trails fairly often.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, the difference is not going to be significant when you are riding a bike like yours.

Your tyres are actually probably fairly puncture resistant, but it is difficult to be sure since they are not on general sale, only made for that range of bikes. Which is why you can't find details of them on line. The Schwalbe puncture resistance rating is only useful for comparing against other Schwalbe tyres, there is no universal measure that can be used to compare across manufacturers.

OP
OP
M

Milena

If this Halfords offer ends, another will be along in a few weeks.

I would probably go for something between 35 and 38 width if the majority of your riding will be on road or gravel. You only really need wider than that if you are going to be riding muddy trails fairly often.

I have been looking at Halfords site since June of this year and this is the first time there has been an offer on accessories and parts for cycling.
Why can't I find 42c tires? Seems there is only 38c max size?

vickster

Legendary Member
Why are you set on buying from Halfords? They're prices aren't always the best or their range the widest.

Where are you looking for 42c tyres? If you use the UK spelling you might have more luck :smile:

Can't speak to these but Google brings up lots of 700x42 tyres eg https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking-grip-hybrid-bike-tyre-700x42/_/R-p-120168
or https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/continental-travel-contact-700x42-tyre-p19686
or https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large/panaracer-cross-town-tyre-700-x-42/

There's very little difference imo between 38/40/42mm, any will fit your rims

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have been looking at Halfords site since June of this year and this is the first time there has been an offer on accessories and parts for cycling.
Why can't I find 42c tires? Seems there is only 38c max size?

It's 4mm, doesn't make much difference. Depends on stock.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Why are you set on buying from Halfords? They're prices aren't always the best or their range the widest.

Where are you looking for 42c tyres? If you use the UK spelling you might have more luck :smile:

I assumed with the 10% off they are going to be the cheapest to buy from (not saying I would buy the cheapest items they sell though) and sell mid range products too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom