Accessories for a Carrera Crossfire 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The front door has a big step. I'm not being difficult. I'm not going to scratch and scuff my bike by not placing it correctly. Or it getting stolen due to where I put it while opening the garage.

I was told never to use car shampoo as usually they have wax in them which will be dangerous with regards to the disc brakes.

Rubbish, use car shampoo all the time on disc braked and normal braked bikes. Washing up liquid will do, but it does remove wax from the frame - assuming you've waxed it, but not even going there.

Well, given you are putting barriers into every suggestion about where you can put your bike, and we've all said lean it against a car, wall fence etc - it's a cheap bike and it will get scratched - I've pedals that cost more than your bike, and they are scratched.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Rubbish, use car shampoo all the time on disc braked and normal braked bikes. Washing up liquid will do, but it does remove wax from the frame - assuming you've waxed it, but not even going there.

Well, given you are putting barriers into every suggestion about where you can put your bike, and we've all said lean it against a car, wall fence etc - it's a cheap bike and it will get scratched - I've pedals that cost more than your bike, and they are scratched.

You have pedals that cost more than £400!?

£400 is a lot of money for me. Maybe not for you.

Alex321

Veteran
You have pedals that cost more than £400!?
I wouldn't spend that much, but they certainly exist
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Crank-Brothers-Candy-11-Clipless-MTB-Pedals_210099.htm
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Time-XPro-15-Road-Pedals_125939.htm

£400 is a lot of money for me. Maybe not for you.

£400 seems like a lot of money, but it is very much bottom end for a new bike.

Mine cost £2000 two years ago, and is very much a mid-range bike. While quite a few on here will have bikes similar to yours in price, many others will have bikes whose original price was £3000+. The majority of people on here who have only spent £400 on a bike will have done so by buying 2nd hand a bike that would have been over £1000 new.

But regardless of value, you really need to accept that your bike WILL get scratched and scuffed if gets significant use, particularly if it is used in a variety of weathers.

It is an unavoidable part of riding it, unless you only ever ride on good roads, in perfectly dry conditions, and never fall off.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Do you use car poo WITH wax built into it?

classic33

Leg End Member
From the list drawn up on the first post, how far have you got with regards working out what you want and what is actually required at this point?

OP
OP
M

Milena

From the list drawn up on the first post, how far have you got with regards working out what you want and what is actually required at this point?

No ones working with me to tell me what to get. Everyone's just arguing. I asked about mudguards and no one has answered that post. Everyone here seems to just want to argue, harass and belittle.

I need mudguards. It's wet. Most of the time in the UK it's wet.

I thought people would help me go through my list of what I need, one item at a time, till we had, together, created a list of items suitable for my budget and needs.

I'm also symptomatic today and have mostly been bedridden as a result.

classic33

Leg End Member
No ones working with me to tell me what to get. Everyone's just arguing. I asked about mudguards and no one has answered that post. Everyone here seems to just want to argue, harass and belittle.

I need mudguards. It's wet. Most of the time in the UK it's wet.

I thought people would help me go through my list of what I need, one item at a time, till we had, together, created a list of items suitable for my budget and needs.

I'm also symptomatic today and have mostly been bedridden as a result.
We can, and most will try, help but you've to be willing to accept that not every answer is going to suit.

Different people ride different cycles, so their answers will not be agreeing with what you want. Take those as a starting point and work from there. If you were to go into a shop looking for parts, you'd see items similar to those suggested. Possibly even look at them as an alternative.

You need to work out what you want, from there whittle it down to what's actually required and then to what you can actually afford at present.
You've not given a spend limit yet for any item, but have picked some expensive items when cheaper options have been given. The cheaper options are what the person recommending them will have used at some point.

vickster

Legendary Member
A bike shop with your bike in front of them is much better placed to confirm what you need like mudguards than people who don't have the same bike

OP
OP
M

Milena

We can, and most will try, help but you've to be willing to accept that not every answer is going to suit.

Different people ride different cycles, so their answers will not be agreeing with what you want. Take those as a starting point and work from there. If you were to go into a shop looking for parts, you'd see items similar to those suggested. Possibly even look at them as an alternative.

You need to work out what you want, from there whittle it down to what's actually required and then to what you can actually afford at present.
You've not given a spend limit yet for any item, but have picked some expensive items when cheaper options have been given. The cheaper options are what the person recommending them will have used at some point.

Most replies have not been constructive going through what I need from each item and what options I have. I don't have a budget, but I can say 'that's too much for me' or 'that's too cheap so I fear it won't be very good quality or last long' etc, once options are presented to me.

OP
OP
M

Milena

A bike shop with your bike in front of them is much better placed to confirm what you need like mudguards than people who don't have the same bike

I went to my lbs and I told you what he told me. Please refer to my post about mudguard from lbs where I asked if it's a good one etc.

My plan now is to just go to Steve at the Canterbury bike project after arranging time to sit with him and discuss and I now need my gears serviced too.

vickster

Legendary Member
I went to my lbs and I told you what he told me. Please refer to my post about mudguard from lbs where I asked if it's a good one etc.

If he says it is, then I'd go with that. Can't see a link but I don't know anything about MTB / suspension mudguards, only proper fixed ones on roadbikes

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Milena

If he says it is, then I'd go with that

It is what?

Also after I gave my bike to my lbs for a wash and puncture repair, the bike now makes noise in gears 1 and 2 on both front gear settings.
I went back to him today to tell him, and he said he hasn't touched the gears so it's not his fault, and that it would be £20 for a gear service.

The gears also don't change as smooth as before and they sometimes they don't change at all unless I change back to the gear I was in, then the one I want.

All this straight away after I rode it out from his bike shop.

OP
OP
M

Milena

a good one

OK. His incentive is to sell. Make money. The Canterbury Bike project doesn't have that incentive. They're a charity. I'm going to them again. Steve is the main guy there.

I don't trust my lbs after what has now happened after I gave my bike to him.

Also Steve had told me that new bikes needing a service because cables stretch and things settle is total bs he said, that bike stores say to get you to give them money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom