Accessories for a Carrera Crossfire 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Milena

Things aren't adding up here. Working from both threads.
Wednesday you had a puncture.
Two days later, Friday(today) you took the bike to your LBS for repair.
The morning after, tomorrow!, you went back with a gear issue.

I've taken bikes back to the bike shop for the free first service. And just as you say replacement parts cost money. You tend only to pay for what is used/replaced, not the time spent on the service. I've also given the instruction to replace what they feel requires replacing, without having to contact me to tell me, then me saying yes to that, no to that.
Saved them time and me money.
Bike was in regular use, four times a day at the time.

Alright. Here's the timeline for you Sherlock.

Friday, 20th, October, 2023. I cycled to the Canterbury bike project for my brake pads issue.
Bike got covered in grit that day.
I put bike into garage after I got back that same day. Obviously.

Monday 23rd October 2023, I go into my garage to take the bike, to the local bike shop for a bike wash. I then discover the rear tire is flat.
I walk the bike to my local bike shop and let him know I SUSPECT there might be a puncture.
The floor pump I have doesn't work it turns out. It's binned now. So I couldn't TRY to inflate my tire, nor did I know HOW to with a presta valve. Turns out I wasn't pushing the pump head far enough along the valve. Not that the pump at my house worked anyway.

My local bike shop was done with my cycle on Thursday 26th October 2023.
I collected the bike close to closing time and spent some time asking him questions and browsing his wares.
When I left he closed.

Today, Friday 27th October 2023, I went back to the local bike shop at around 12.30pm to tell him about these issues with the gears that have appeared ONLY AFTER he had my cycle.

OP
OP
M

Milena

There is an actual requirement, under health and safety at work, that requires the bike be clean when repairs are carried out. If that means they clean it, they can charge you for doing it.

The £20 for the replacement tube is around what they charge up here. It isn't cost effective for them to fix a puncture. Which is why so many riders learn to do this.

What are you talking about? I AM THE ONE THAT BOOKED IN FOR A BIKE WASH. THE PUNCTURE I DISCOVERED WHEN I WENT INTO THE GARAGE TO TAKE MY BIKE TO HIM FOR THE WASH. .

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
What are you talking about? I AM THE ONE THAT BOOKED IN FOR A BIKE WASH. THE PUNCTURE I DISCOVERED WHEN I WENT INTO THE GARAGE TO TAKE MY BIKE TO HIM FOR THE WASH.
And you complain about others on here not engaging with you.

From your own post...
"Took it to my local bike shop for a wash and possibly puncture repair. Likely it's a puncture. He doesn't do puncture repairs, he replaces the inner tube. £20."

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mod Note: abusive language removed

I think it's time you stopped being abusive to other people pointing a few things out.

The fact is, you took the bike away then found gear issues - the shop isn't to know it could have happened after it left - did you cycle home. Gears aren't hard to adjust, I assume it's not shifting. It could have been the wheel may not have been in place properly before the puncture fix, wheel removed, then put back in correctly, but gears were out.

I'd check that if I was a mechanic, but given your attitude on here, do you use the same with someone at a bike shop as you've called them all srts of names. Not sure how old you are, but it's about time you learnt to fix a bike. I was fixing my own as a teenager - I couldn't afford a bike shop at £5 a week paper round money - it used to cost me a fair bit in batteries to do my paper round in winter for my old bike lights.

There is no was I would pay £32 for a bike wash and a new tube, even now, but a shop has standard labour rates and overheads. Even on minimum wage, that's over £10 an hour, add in rent etc etc, easily gets to £30-£40 - you pay about £100 an hour for a local garage to fix a car.

Dadam

Mate, calm down. People are trying to help, but as mentioned, it’s the internet. There’s no shortage of different and conflicting opinions. Sometimes what people write sounds more argumentative when read back.

However this
Mod Note: abusive language deleted.

is rude.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ah - I thought I recognised the OP's style - aka SummitFreedom and Paddling556 from a nearby parish that many of us also frequent.
Be prepared for these threads to run and run for pages without feeling like anything will get resolved.
That thought crossed my mind on the other thread. Unable to work out who though.

OP
OP
M

Milena

I think it's time you stopped being abusive to other people pointing a few things out.

The fact is, you took the bike away then found gear issues - the shop isn't to know it could have happened after it left - did you cycle home. Gears aren't hard to adjust, I assume it's not shifting. It could have been the wheel may not have been in place properly before the puncture fix, wheel removed, then put back in correctly, but gears were out.

I'd check that if I was a mechanic, but given your attitude on here, do you use the same with someone at a bike shop as you've called them all srts of names. Not sure how old you are, but it's about time you learnt to fix a bike. I was fixing my own as a teenager - I couldn't afford a bike shop at £5 a week paper round money - it used to cost me a fair bit in batteries to do my paper round in winter for my old bike lights.

There is no was I would pay £32 for a bike wash and a new tube, even now, but a shop has standard labour rates and overheads. Even on minimum wage, that's over £10 an hour, add in rent etc etc, easily gets to £30-£40 - you pay about £100 an hour for a local garage to fix a car.

PLENTY of people clearly get their punctures repaired. While I was there that day, 2 people came in for puncture repairs. However, read my last post.

classic33

Leg End Member
PLENTY of people clearly get their punctures repaired. While I was there that day, 2 people came in for puncture repairs. However, read my last post.
And quite possibly the same way you did, replacement innertube.

It's simply not cost effective for a shop, a business, to repair a simple puncture.

The health and safety regulations around the substances used in the workplace have to be considered.

Corrected sho to shop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Milena

And quite possibly the same way you did, replacement innertube.

It's simply not cost effective for a sho, a business, to repair a simple puncture.

The health and safety regulations around the substances used in the workplace have to be considered.

OK? When did I say they would fix the puncture a different way?

vickster

Legendary Member
OK? When did I say they would fix the puncture a different way?

In your other post you said…
He doesn't do puncture repairs, he replaces the inner tube. £20.
There are two main ways to resolve a puncture, patch the existing tube or put a new one in. Personally I’ve only ever done the latter. I get few punctures but the tube has always been shagged beyond repair.
I’ve also bust a few valves due to my hamfistedness though and lost a couple of flying cores from those awful Continental branded tubes!!

OP
OP
M

Milena

In your other post you said…
He doesn't do puncture repairs, he replaces the inner tube. £20.
There are two main ways to resolve a puncture, patch the existing tube or put a new one in. Personally I’ve only ever done the latter. I get few punctures but the tube has always been shagged beyond repair.
I’ve also bust a few valves due to my hamfistedness though and lost a couple of flying cores from those awful Continental branded tubes!!

Wdym busted a few valves? How?

How long are your inner tubes lasting?

freiston

Veteran
Mod Note: abusive language deleted
It's you coming to the places that I've been coming to for years - you only joined here 4 days ago - seems more like you stalking me.

Yeah, old people eh? Should be shot at birth.

Lost my SMV? That's a bit rich coming from someone who identified themself as "incel" in the other place - I can't give the link as your posts got deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom