Accessories for a Carrera Crossfire 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
The second figure is the width, ignore the C
It appears that C means it's the inside width of the tyre, which is presumably why it's slightly less than the equivalent ETRTO width:
"The letter at the end of a tire size is a throwback to an old French system when the letters a, b and c designated different inner tire diameters"
Unless you read Schwalbe, in which case:
1698323144417.png

No one explained that C is the same as millimeter
I don't think it is, but I've managed to get through the last 65 years without knowing what it means.

There is NO mention of tire width
1698323558369.png

But there's no point in carping about the last millimetre on tyre width because:
1698323444937.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It appears that C means it's the inside width of the tyre, which is presumably why it's slightly less than the equivalent ETRTO width:
"The letter at the end of a tire size is a throwback to an old French system when the letters a, b and c designated different inner tire diameters"
Unless you read Schwalbe, in which case:
View attachment 711296

I don't think it is, but I've managed to get through the last 65 years without knowing what it means.

View attachment 711298

But there's no point in carping about the last millimetre on tyre width because:
View attachment 711297

Don't confuse the young lad. Best ignored at the moment.

vickster

Legendary Member
oh, why does my Hybrid come with 42mm as standard? What tire size should I replace with IF I change the tires? Is it worth buying sets of tires for different scenarios, such as winter tires, tires better suited to gravel, tires better suited to asphalt etc?

Am I right in saying that only ''700'' will fit my wheels? That no other size will?

Because that’s the tyre the manufacturer decided to fit. Choose a tyre based on where you will spend most of your time riding, road, off road.
If you plan to ride on ice, go wide and a studded.
Most regular cyclists have more than one bike suited to different uses, rather than multiple tyres (or wheels)!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The document seems very useful. Reading it right now.
No one explained that C is the same as millimeter, nor is there any explanation WHY. It was not explained in a clear way with words.

Welcome to the whacky world of cycling ! There is a mix of imperial and metric measurements all through cycling. A 29'er MTB is a MTB with 700 sized rims, although a bit wider.

presta

Guru
The only number that needs to be exactly right is the ETRTO rim diameter (622 in your case), because that has to fit the rim. The 700 is only nominal, because if you increase the tyre cross section on the same rim that will increase overall wheel diameter as well. Tyre width needs to be suitable for your rim width (see below), and not so wide that it jams under the fork crown (or mudguard).

1698324263978.png

Alex321

Veteran
oh, why does my Hybrid come with 42mm as standard? What tire size should I replace with IF I change the tires? Is it worth buying sets of tires for different scenarios, such as winter tires, tires better suited to gravel, tires better suited to asphalt etc?

I would go for something in the 35-38mm range - I have 38 on my hybrid, although I rarely ride that currently.

There is always a trade off between comfort and grip, against rolling resistance. 42 is wide enough that the roling resistance will be rather high, and unless you are riding in mud a lot, really isn't necessary. 38 will give you all the grip and comfort you need if riding mainly on road or gravel.

35 would be a little faster, but you would lose some comnfort, and the difference in speed won't be that much.

Am I right in saying that only ''700'' will fit my wheels? That no other size will?

In metric sizes, yes. You might still find some tyres sold as 28 inch which would also fit, though I can't recall seeing any listed that way since I was a teenager. For some reason, MTB tyres are more commonly sold in imperial sizes than road bike or hybrid tyres are.

Alex321

Veteran
Welcome to the whacky world of cycling ! There is a mix of imperial and metric measurements all through cycling. A 29'er MTB is a MTB with 700 sized rims, although a bit wider.

Not just cycling. The standard way of describing car tyres in the UK has three numbers, two of which are mm, while the third is inches.

vickster

Legendary Member
He's not going to let it drop though is he, because he's preoccupied with it. As I said, I've gone through the last 65 years without knowing what it means.

He’d be better off spending the time learning some bike maintenance :smile: or if not, earning some cash to pay for it (my preferred option :whistle:)

OP
OP
M

Milena

You are putting 'your thinking' in the way of a solution. I have a manual garage door, I lean my bike against the house wall, open door and put bike in garage - it then either leans against shelving or goes into an upright bike stand. Same when getting it out - and I've five bikes and only one has a rack - same process. You have a saddle and handle bars - you don't lean the frame against a wall. It's even easier with panniers as they cushion the bike. You'll also have a rack, which protects the bike too.

You've had lots of sensible suggestions but are poo poo'ing them - listen to those of us doing this every day - my commuter bike loaded weighs much over a kickstand weight limit - never needed one.

Look how big the cars are. That's a massive van and the lexus is, I think, even LONGER than the van. The third car isn't there at the moment.

The garage door JUST misses the front of the van or the lexus depending on which car is parked in front of the garage at the time.

My hoody got damaged a little yesterday from getting 'caught' on the brick wall. Bricks are very very grippy. Even brushing past them, with certain clothing materials, causes the material to 'grip' on to the bricks.

I didn't put my cycle down behind the lexus and go that way because the space isn't much wider, and the cycle would be far away from me. Someone walking by could easily steal it.

My parents won't let me lean my bike against their cars.

They also refuse to park them in a way where I could then easily access the garage.

Also, I have to open the garage door from an angle from the side as obviously there's not enough clearance to stand in front of the garage door and open it from the center. This I'm pretty sure is damaging the garage door, as I think it's meant to be opened from the center. It's weighted.

Both walls need to be removed so it's easy for the cars to get in and out. But my stupid stepmother wanted the walls in place when we got the driveway redone in some years ago.
Look at the floor ether side of the walls. Black tarmac is there between the pavement and driveway.
That's because the walls extended all that way, but my dad had those parts removed. But not the rest. He's getting the rest removed 'soon'. The walls were removed and the black tar, used to fill in the gaps.

My parents are pretty dumb, and very abusive.

None of my stuff is safe from my dad in the garage. And he's a liar. He's likely the reason why my rear brake is contaminated.

Once, I opened the garage to find my cycle laying right in front on the garage door on the ground drivechain side down.

All accessories I buy, I'll need a secure, strong storage box, as he damages everything as he doesn't look where he's going, what he's doing etc. He becomes frustrated and angry very very rapidly over anything and everything.

So I'm also trying to find a heavy duty storage box with a lock for my cycling accessories. Ideally with compartments. I'm also trying to figure out how to store my bike safely in the garage. Safe from him. I'll post photos of the inside of the crappy garaged later today. Maybe everyone here can help me think of solutions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_070504_Ring.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_070504_Ring.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20231027_070554_Ring.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_070554_Ring.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom