Accident advice - help needed please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I used LD through BC after being knocked off. Apart from a few hiccups and about a 3 year timescale to settle (due to ongoing injuries), it was ok.
Unlike some no win no fee firms, BC indemnify and you’ll receive the full settlement. Other firms may take a cut of any pay out

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I used LD through BC after being knocked off. Apart from a few hiccups and about a 3 year timescale to settle (due to ongoing injuries), it was ok.
Unlike some no win no fee firms, BC indemnify and you’ll receive the full settlement. Other firms may take a cut of any pay out

Thanks. I only joined BC after it happened and it looks like I can't use it retrospectively - do you know if cycling UK allow this?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My injuries were a bit serious, mainly a fractured skull and two broken vertebra in my neck, so the claim rumbled on for a couple of years.
All I can say is be patient, no point rushing for a quick settlement if you are going to be left with long term or permanent injuries. I was lucky in that I mostly got over the big injuries relatively quickly and to look at me you would never know. But there are still some minor things that remain and probably always will as well as the risk that the head or neck injuries will come back to cause problems when I get older?
There is also the psychological damage to consider. I was desperate to get back on the bike and onto the roads as this was my 'happy place' even in an urban environment. At first I was nervous, braking everytime a vehicle looked like it might turn across me or pull out without looking. This soon gave way to terrible anger and I had a few rows with drivers that did the most stupid/reckless/dangerous things without any apparent awareness of the risks they posed to more vulnerable road users. I had to seek help for that, but in the end the best thing was that by seeking help I discussed the issue and acknowledged to myself that I couldn't change the world so the solution had to come from me.
I still get angry about the most appalling driving from time to time, but I know I can't change things so I either carry on cycling or give up..... and I ain't giving up!

Jameshow

Veteran
Sorry to hear it, it does shake you up, and robs you of confidence on the bike.

I'd suggest finding a few chaps to ride with, to regain your confidence!

Perhaps find a quite route with little traffic to regain that confidence.

Above all don't become bitter about it. As the far eastern proverb says bitterness digs two graves on for the other person and one for yourself.

C R

Guru
So I'd just need to call my own insurance and they'd be able to help me deal with it? I'm still quite sore so in the first instance I will approach a solicitor I think

The point of the legal assistance part of the policy is that they do the work of finding the solicitor for you. That's the point of paying for that part of the premium.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

The point of the legal assistance part of the policy is that they do the work of finding the solicitor for you. That's the point of paying for that part of the premium.

Right I've looked and I don't have it on my home insurance. I do have it on my car insurance though.

Sorry for the questions - if my claim is too low value for a no win no fee type to take on, I then go through the drivers insurance instead?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Sorry to hear it, it does shake you up, and robs you of confidence on the bike.

I'd suggest finding a few chaps to ride with, to regain your confidence!

Perhaps find a quite route with little traffic to regain that confidence.

Above all don't become bitter about it. As the far eastern proverb says bitterness digs two graves on for the other person and one for yourself.

Thanks, so many people have offered to come for a ride with me. I just feel really sad about it all at the moment. My mum sent me a message asking how was my bike ride and I just had to say it was fine because the last thing I need right now is her flapping about me!

classic33

Leg End Member
Get and keep a photographic record of your injuries.

If you're going to chase the case yourself the MIB links in the accident advice thread give a good idea of what is required from you. Your injuries will be harder for you to resolve to a point of value/putting a price on them.

Don't let it put you off cycling.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Get and keep a photographic record of your injuries.

If you're going to chase the case yourself the MIB links in the accident advice thread give a good idea of what is required from you. Your injuries will be harder for you to resolve to a point of value/putting a price on them.

Don't let it put you off cycling.

Thanks, I'll try not to. I've been pretty sad today about it especially with the pain being worse today. No breaks but landed on my arse and have hurt my coccyx. I had worse bruising when I had an off on some oil 18 months ago but the pain is pretty bad. I think its worse as the adrenaline and anger of the day has worn off. I've emailed a solicitor anyway and I'll see what she says. A few folks in the club have had success with this sort of thing so it's worth a go

Sharky

Guru
No breaks
Don't rule that out until the pain stops.

Following one of my spills and an x Ray, I was sent home with crutches and was told it was soft tissue damage. Took a long time before I could manage without the crutches. Had to go back for a ct scan, 3 months after the original accident, for another investigation. Got home and within an hour, got a call from the gp and was told to get straight back to A&E. They had discovered that I had a fractured pelvis! They couldn't believe that I could walk! I didn't tell them that by this time, I was already back on the bike And had ridden my first 10 of the season.

Took a lot longer though for full recovery.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks, I'll try not to. I've been pretty sad today about it especially with the pain being worse today. No breaks but landed on my arse and have hurt my coccyx. I had worse bruising when I had an off on some oil 18 months ago but the pain is pretty bad. I think its worse as the adrenaline and anger of the day has worn off. I've emailed a solicitor anyway and I'll see what she says. A few folks in the club have had success with this sort of thing so it's worth a go
I was more annoyed at the drivers attitude when I were hit. More so when I found out he'd failed the roadside breath test, that had just been carried out on the other side of the road.

I said to myself it wasn't going to put me off riding a bike. Even past the junction where it happened. Wary going past, but if anything it made me more determined to carry on.

Captainwull

I was a member of BC when I skidded on an oily road and broke a few bones. At the time BC used Digby Brown, I called them but they didnt want to know. Kinda weird as i was taken to hospital in an ambulance, a policeman confirmed the oil on the road and the council sent out a lorry to sand it!
An internet search came up with the MIB (motor insurers bureau) I contacted them and after supplying them with a few details I was awarded quite a significant sum. It was quite nice not needing to give a percentage to a lawyer firm either.

Gillstay

Über Member

Yep, I did that after an accident and got rid of the solicitor soon after as they were appalling ! Could not even sort out expenses. Best to check how many cases your solicitor is working on before you make your decision. I just chose one out of a cycle magazine and they were fine.

C R

Guru
Yep, I did that after an accident and got rid of the solicitor soon after as they were appalling ! Could not even sort out expenses. Best to check how many cases your solicitor is working on before you make your decision. I just chose one out of a cycle magazine and they were fine.

Fortunately I haven't had to use the service, so can't comment from experience, but in your situation I would have wanted a refund of the premium if the service wasn't actually provided.

Top Bottom