Accident and Breakdown cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have just got my renewal from the AA where I have been a member for many years mainly probably due to lazyness in not checking for better deals.
I notice that accident management applies to England,Wales and Mainland Scotland only. If I go to an English or Welsh island I am covered but since I live on an island I am not covered anywhere at home and if I go to Shetland I am not covered. Anglesey is ok because it has a bridge but Skye is not even tho' it does have a bridge.
i would be interested to know if mainland dwellers have no accident cover on any Scottish island.
Any recommendations for a better service would also be welcome.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I'm with Green Flag, always been cheaper than the others. I've had a quick look at their policy and it just states UK, it doesn't mention about any exclusions. As they are all part of the UK, I would assume they would be covered.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I cannot answer your question reference "any Scottish Island", but, we have European Breakdown Cover as one of the "perks" of our Nationwide Bank account, other perks include Mobile Phone Insurance and Travel/Health Insurance. Perhaps worth your while to read the term and conditions on the Nationwide Website?

Slick

Guru
I'm with green flag as it's fairly cheap and cheerful in the central belt but I know from bitter experience, much like yourself that all services cease at the ferry port. If I'm honest, I haven't checked and may be doing them a disservice, but I doubt it.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm with Green Flag, always been cheaper than the others. I've had a quick look at their policy and it just states UK, it doesn't mention about any exclusions. As they are all part of the UK, I would assume they would be covered.
The AA say at the bottom of the page that I am covered with the whole of the UK but sneakily on another bit for accident recovery it has mainland Scotland only. I was unable to get anybody to give a sensible reason as the call centre of course is limited in knowledge and authority.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm with green flag as it's fairly cheap and cheerful in the central belt but I know from bitter experience, much like yourself that all services cease at the ferry port. If I'm honest, I haven't checked and may be doing them a disservice, but I doubt it.
Breakdown cover is still available but the exclusion is specifically for accident recovery. It is not my intention to get involved in any accident but I had a van written off some years ago by an army sherpa minibus travelling round a blind corner so fast he could not stop in time. The police told me the council would only remove the offending vegetation after 4 accidents and I was only the 3rd at that spot that year.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm with ETA, but have never had a claim.
https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/what-we-cover/

I have not read the small print, but suspect it may be similar to Green Flag regarding ferry ports.
Just had a quick look and it seems a bit limited in some respects and also got an immediate pop up wanting to chat which puts me off.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wouldn't touch the AA with yours. Mrs D#1 broke down while she was pregnant and they refused to recognise her membership. Then it started snowing. I took them to court for components for the enormous upset and distress they had caused, for breach of contract, and for my membership fee to be refunded as they weren't providing the service I had paid for.

They contested it vigorously. I won before lunchtime on the first day and received compo. I wouldn't rely on the AA to be able to spell AA.

Were with Volvo assist, which is essentially free RAC cover (including accident recovery) that Volvo give you if you get your car serviced at a dealer. Alas, you do actually need a Volvo to be able to benefit.

Venod

Eh up
Were with Volvo assist, which is essentially free RAC cover (including accident recovery) that Volvo give you if you get your car serviced at a dealer. Alas, you do actually need a Volvo to be able to benefit.

Us too, it does take the sting out of the service price a little bit.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I wouldn't touch the AA with yours. Mrs D#1 broke down while she was pregnant and they refused to recognise her membership. Then it started snowing. I took them to court for components for the enormous upset and distress they had caused, for breach of contract, and for my membership fee to be refunded as they weren't providing the service I had paid for.

They contested it vigorously. I won before lunchtime on the first day and received compo. I wouldn't rely on the AA to be able to spell AA.

Ford have a similar offering I believe called (surprise, surprise) Ford Assist.

Top Bottom