Accident detritus zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

(This has probably been done before - a bit of fun with an annoying reality).

Noticed yesterday that my local council has put another one of those zones in at the side of the road for all the detritus from accidents etc. The zone runs for some miles and is well used with lots of broken glass, stones etc all across it.

The bit I don’t understand is why they paint a picture of a bike in it every few hundred metres? Anyone got any ideas?

Noticed yesterday that my local council has put another one of those zones in at the side of the road for all the detritus from accidents etc. The zone runs for some miles and is well used with lots of broken glass, stones etc all across it.

The bit I don’t understand is why they paint a picture of a bike in it every few hundred metres? Anyone got any ideas?

That's why I rarely use them. They seem pretty tidy in London.

Drago

Legendary Member
I believe the cycle with no rider symbol signifies that prior to the implementation of these zones no bikes were permitted to ride on the highway.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

We don't have them round my way. We have bit's of tarmac that are intermingled with phone cabinets , over hanging tree, prams, people acting like Stirling moss on disabled scooters, the odd litter bin , broken bottle and a magic blue sign that makes it all go away.

and it is always delightful to see people enjoying the path 3 abreast and taking their dog(s) for a walk and I really feel for them because they seem to suffer from a crippling disease called - being completely unaware of anything but themselves!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
We don't have them round my way. We have bit's of tarmac that are intermingled with phone cabinets , over hanging tree, prams, people acting like Stirling moss on disabled scooters, the odd litter bin , broken bottle and a magic blue sign that makes it all go away.

Ah, the old early eighties Krypton Factor assault course.

pjd57

Veteran
They're useful in winter.
They need somewhere to put all the snow they clear off the roads.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Funnily enough I used one of them yesterday on my way into Cambridge. But it can't have been very well designed or maintained - the tarmac was smooth and continuous (and much better than the road) and it was swept clean.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Funnily enough I used one of them yesterday on my way into Cambridge. But it can't have been very well designed or maintained - the tarmac was smooth and continuous (and much better than the road) and it was swept clean.

Clearly you need to pay more council tax if you're not getting first rate returns.
Plenty of glass in mine, councils got its s*it together here.

Exactly why I don't use them either, or ride along the white line at the edge
Likewise, why I explain to newbies, why not to use them too

Drago

Legendary Member
Clearly you need to pay more council tax if you're not getting first rate returns.
Plenty of glass in mine, councils got its s*it together here.

Well, Northampton Brough Carncil must be very posh then. They've placed their artful detritus lane right in the death zone, so while you're admiring the litter and pieces of smashed car tail light you get to have a great game dodging car doors. It's really entertaining, keeps you on your toes!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Well, Northampton Brough Carncil must be very posh then. They've placed their artful detritus lane right in the death zone, so while you're admiring the litter and pieces of smashed car tail light you get to have a great game dodging car doors. It's really entertaining, keeps you on your toes!

Maintaining mental simulation...and keeping dementia at bay....

See they do care.

Top Bottom