Accident ! Do You prosecute or Demand Driver Re-Test Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zomarzi

Veteran
A youngish lorry driver engaged me in a hit and run quite recently crashing into me 4/5 times as he overtook me on the brow of a hill where the road narrows with just enough room for two vehicles to pass eventualy railroading me off the road onto the pavement before dissapearing into the traffic.
Emergancy services were called by a lady driver who was more shook up than I, after coming home from A&E and running the video over in my head again I realised how lucky an escape I had, I digress, the policeman dealing with the accident and my solicitor were kind of not very enthusiastic about prosecuteing the, wait for it, bicycle riding lorry driver, and so far I have not .

What would you do ?

Drago

Legendary Member
An order for the driver to be re tested can only come about as part if a successful prosecution.

Straight away your evidence is weak - were you hit four or five times? Which is it? His solicitor is going to pounce on tiny pieces of vagueness like that, so careful how you phrase it.

Markymark13

Makes no difference. He either knew he was doing it or was driving without due care and attention and not using his mirrors. As someone who has been in a cycle accident with a large van, not prosecuting because I put it down as one of those things and ending up with a broken bike and damaged arm, I would not hesitate about taking action next time.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Prosecute +1. OK, he's a young family man, but 2 things spring to mind. 1st is that he may very well end up killing someone, which may deprive a family of a loved one. 2nd, he may end up killing himself as a result of his driving, depriving his own family of a loved one. He shouldn't even attempt to overtake on the brow of a hill, or on a section of road that narrows to such an extent. Those actions speak of a disregard for other road users, not just cyclists.

on the road

Über Member
I don't understand how a lorry could crash in to you 4/5 times and for you to still be here?

OP
OP
zomarzi

zomarzi

Veteran
It was a 7 tonne box lorry running along side of me bumping me at approx.10/15mph I remember having my arm out at one stage foolishly trying to push him away from me luckily it was the rear of the vehicle.

No one has picked up on the Policeman or solicitors reluctancy to prosecute, I don't know why, any ideas ?

classic33

Leg End Member
You say "running the video over in my head". Did you have a camera in use at the time or were you just running over the incident in your head?
Commit what you have to paper. It doesn't matter at this stage if anyone else is able to understand it, so long as you can put that into a format that an idiot could understand. Your actions/reactions & the same for the vehicle that hit you. State clearly in the finished format where you ended up as a result of what happenned.
What I'd consider is a bad piece of advice given is the number of times the van hit you, which was it four or five. The fact that you were hit by the van at least 4 times & by your own admission you tried to push it clear of you, is an idication of just how close it was to you. Also the fact that you ended up being forced off the road by the vehichle speaks volumes for the driver. I'll say nowt about leaving the scene of an accident.

I'd go after the driver, prosecute. I did & he regrets it to this day.

markharry66

Über Member
Adolf Hitler had a girlfriend it makes no difference family man on or not if he drives like a twat and is a danger to other road users go as far as you can. Hope you are okay good luck with prosecution

Sandra6

Veteran
If only your name was Bradley eh? There'd be no question of whether to prosecute or not.
If you have a video then you have a strong case. I'd prosecute.

Top Bottom