Accident on London Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalog

Über Member
Hi,

London Bridge Northbound is closed this morning due to an accident involving a cyclist. Anyone knows what happened? I hope he/she is OK..

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
Thanks for the link, sorry I didn't mean to start another thread I just didnt see the one posted earlier.

SurreyQuays

Accident on London Bridge yesterday

manalog said:
Hi,

London Bridge Northbound is closed this morning due to an accident involving a cyclist. Anyone knows what happened? I hope he/she is OK..

I gave first aid to the cyclist John until the ambulance arrived. His girlfiend texted me at lunchtime to say he was given a check over at hospital and besides some scrapes, bruises and stiches he's fine.

My husband and I was cycling not too far behind the accident as it happened. I did not see the exact impact moment; we just looked behind us to change lanes, but we did see the motorbike fly through the air, hit the bus on the south bound side of the bridge and fly back to the north bound side of the bridge.

When I asked the cyclist John how it happened, he said the motorbike and the bus hit each other and the bike hit him on the way back. Guess he must have just nicked him as his bicycle looked ok from what I could make out with everyone standing around.

Two people attended the motorbike driver - he was conscious and they kept him still the whole time. When the ambulance arrived and they took over he started shouting with pain. Poor guy. I hope he's ok.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
ComedyPilot said:
What's the speed limit at the scene of the collision?

Blackandblue said:
I would guess its 30mph.

Origamist said:

SurreyQuays said:
My husband and I was cycling not too far behind the accident as it happened. I did not see the exact impact moment; we just looked behind us to change lanes, but we did see the motorbike fly through the air, hit the bus on the south bound side of the bridge and fly back to the north bound side of the bridge.

When I asked the cyclist John how it happened, he said the motorbike and the bus hit each other and the bike hit him on the way back. Guess he must have just nicked him as his bicycle looked ok from what I could make out with everyone standing around.

Two people attended the motorbike driver - he was conscious and they kept him still the whole time. When the ambulance arrived and they took over he started shouting with pain. Poor guy. I hope he's ok.

Quite a lot of kinetic energy expelled in a crash at 30mph, isn't there?

Blackandblue

I read, I think on another forum, that a witness reported the motorcyclist as accelerating like the clappers on to the bridge and achieving a speed of approx 70mph at the point of impact. All hearsay of course.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I didn't mean the bus or motorcycle were speeding, just as a general indicator as to what forces are involved when two moving vehicles collide, and just how unprepared the human body is to experience such forces.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
I'm glad there was no fatalities, it looks prety serious and I didn't reealised the southbound was closed too. There was a lot of hearsays and speculations regarding this accident including a black cyclist who was coverd up and taken by ambulance. So don't beleive everything on the Net!

User3143 said:
Well I've done all the calculations and necessary physics and have come to the conclusion that.......this was a simple accident and hope everyone gets better.

even though the biker was doing 70mph;)

I thought you held a full bike license lee, and more importantly you knew your vehicle lengths. A double decker bus is approx 10 metres (33ft) long

The distance between the bus and the resting point of the m/cycle is about the same so we can figure that can be worked out fairly easily.

ZM3FA.jpg

Now use the calculator and figure out how close to what you think he was doing and actually what the numbers work out at

http://www.accidenttech.com/speed.asp?a=s

CALCULATED MINIMUM SPEED:

26 MPH

It is a rough guide, but the pic and the data supports a lower (legal) speed, and the actions of a bus driver who didn't look before he moved off.

The evidence in this pic simply doesn't support the warp speed which people claim.

Top Bottom