Accident - The Mall, London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bryce

At about 8.10 this morning at the junction between The Mall and Marlborough Road (going east), I went past a cyclist sitting in the side of a red police van with blood all down his left cheek. There was another red police car there as well.

Anyone see what happened? His steed looked like an old white singlespeed with drops.

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
seemed to be a lot of traffic on a20 today also. My ride up until then was a joy though with the lack of school traffic.

I havent been going up the side of vehicles anyway at the moment because never have enough room.

Twanger

Über Member
bryce said:
At about 8.10 this morning at the junction between The Mall and Marlborough Road (going east)........

I went through that junction about 10 minutes before that. It's not a junction where you would want to take any chances at all ...I can imagine what happened, but it would be speculation.

al78

Guru
skwerl said:
it's hard to get it wrong at that junction. If you stop at the lights that is

IIRC the Mall is three lanes wide at that point and lane 1 is left turn only so a cyclist going straight on needs to move into lane 2. A risk of being sideswiped if you are not careful.

skwerl

al78 said:
IIRC the Mall is three lanes wide at that point and lane 1 is left turn only so a cyclist going straight on needs to move into lane 2. A risk of being sideswiped if you are not careful.

yep. and a lot of cyclists leave it way too late to change lanes, then make a beeline for the middle lane, often without looking. If you wait until you're within a 100m or so of the lights you have a stream of cars, all turning left, that you need to negotiate.

I join the Mall from the south side of Buck House and head straight into the left side of the middle lane. I just sit there until I pass the Marlborough junction then I move into the left lane. Have to watch for scooters/cyclists who use the left filter lane to go straight ahead though. Twats. Possible this guy got whacked by one of them

scouserinlondon

User1314 said:
Seems to be manic on London Roads this week. There's less traffic because of hols, so drivers seem to be driving as fast as they can for a hundred metres or so then getting suddenly stuck in bottle-necks, then going fast again etc. Guess they have the sudden elation of being able to travel relatively fast in central London, then slowing to snails pace again, before putting the foot down again. All very erratic, stressful and manic.

Traffic completely stopped at the left turn from Baylis Road towards Waterloo Station today. Nothing moving. Ambulance had just disappeared up there a a few seconds earlier, lights and sirens blazing.

It has been a bit bonkers this week hasn't it?

LOGAN 5

I avoid the Mall going East (at least in part). I approach Buck House from Buckingham Gate then ride down Birdcage and turn left at Horse Guards before joining the Mall. This avoids the awfully long wait at the Buck House lights if you catch them wrong and all the lights plus the Marlborough junction. It's longer but more pleasant and less busy with fewer black cabs.

skwerl

LOGAN 5 said:
I avoid the Mall going East (at least in part). I approach Buck House from Buckingham Gate then ride down Birdcage and turn left at Horse Guards before joining the Mall. This avoids the awfully long wait at the Buck House lights if you catch them wrong and all the lights plus the Marlborough junction. It's longer but more pleasant and less busy with fewer black cabs.

might give that a try

Top Bottom