Accident this morning. Advice appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Got knocked off my bike on the way to work this morning; it's the first time that's happened so was a bit shook up briefly, but generally ok I think. Ironically I was on my way to a bike shop for a meeting so the bike's been checked over, bent rear hanger fixed, no other apparent damage.

The lady stopped to help and was very apologetic. She has given me her number and said to let her know if there was any damage to me or the bike. My shoulder hurts like hell so I'll get that checked out, but other than that it's just cuts and bruises. My head took a whack on the tarmac after I'd gone over her bonnet so my helmet is cracked. I'll ring her and ask if she's willing to pay for a new one.

I'm not in the business of trying to make anyone feel guilty and certainly not looking to sue etc - it was a bad junction and it's not like she was driving recklessly.

Anyway, just wanted to check with the knowledge base here if I could have made better choices this morning to inform my future riding. Situation was this -

Cycling along a busy A-road, a long line of traffic at a standstill in front of me (800-900 yards worth, maybe more) queueing for a roundabout. There is no cycle lane on the road and the cars are too far over to the left to allow filtering on the pavement side (which I tend to avoid anyway for fear of getting squeezed in). So I chose to filter along the drivers' side. I am overtaking the line of traffic but still within 'my' lane, so cars on the opposite side are not impeded and that side is flowing freely. I am doing 15-16mph at this point and being as observant as poss, but clearly not observant enough as before I know what is happening a car pulls across my path from my left, obv pulling out to turn right into the free flowing lane. As she pulled out in front of a stationary van she had not seen me coming, nor was I able to see and anticipate the junction with her car pulling out. The van has clearly done the polite and reasonable thing and stopped before the junction to allow traffic to pass between the stationary line so I have sympathy for the woman as she would feel invited to pull out and couldn't have seen me. In coming out she knocked the bike from under me and sent me over the bonnet. Thankfully, as it was clear on the opposite side of the road (hence her pulling out) no major damage was done to me or the bike, being as that's where we both ended up.

Any comments/thoughts/advice most welcome.
Anticipate gaps in the traffic ahead to represent entrances or junctions and slow right down is one learning point I've taken from this. In not doing so this morning was I essentially cycling badly and therefore essentially largely to blame?

Cheers.

Drago

Legendary Member
You've an injury, even if it's just aches and pains, report it to the Dibble.

Are you looking to claim for compo for injuries and distress/upset, or just to get the bike fixed?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
No, you are not to blame.
You could possibly have avoided this by cycling more cautiously, but in the end she pulled out in front of someone legitimately cycling along the road.

And as Drago said, any accident resulting in injury, no matter how minor, should be reported to the police.

If your shoulder 'hurts like hell' it is possible you may have damaged it more than you think, in which case you may wish to claim compensation for injuries as well as damage to the bike. Another reason for reporting it.

And GWS!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Though not with a bicycle, that happened to me once. I can't agree more with Ian, get as much evidence as possible and don't get messed around. Hopefully the person is decent and follows through, but I would take the assumption they may not (saying and doing can be two completely different things). I'm not advocating being nasty or impolite, just being well prepared.

General observation from reading/hearing of various incidents: Folk are often apologetic and helpful at the time, then change their minds later and deny responsibility. It's always worth getting camera evidence, witness details, etc., at the time.

vickster

Legendary Member
You have 3 years to start a personal injury claim so no rush. But do report it, do get checked out (I'm awaiting surgery on my shoulder which might be the result of my cycling accident 2 years ago) and write everything down and get photos of injuries. You may decide to claim later down the line so best to document everything

I certainly wouldn't filter at those speeds but still driver to blame

GWS

Keith Oates

Janner
Bad luck in being hit and I hope there is no lasting damage to you. The lady may be genuine in saying that she will pay for any damages but once her friends and family hear about it they could change her mind. The advice given above is all good and should be followed in case there are some problems in the future.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Thanks for feedback so far. Off to hospital now for a small op anyway so will see if anyone there can check out my shoulder.

I am a BC member.

The lady seemed genuine and claimed to be a cyclist herself. She rang her husband (also one of 'us' apparently) to come pick me and the bike up but I told her not to as it was still ride-able.

Not looking to make any claim for anything as things stand. I am lucky enough to be mates with the owner of the bike shop so the damage has been fixed for free already (just bent mech as I said).

I will call her later to ask if she's ok to pay for a new helmet and new saddle-bag bracket as they're the two things he can't fix. Shouldn't be more than £50 for the pair so I'm happy to take that if she's happy to pay.

Obvs is she gets difficult then my thoughts on a claim will change. Likewise if my shoulder injury turns out to be worse than it seems and keeps me off work.

I have no helmet-camera and was too dazed to think about asking any motorists (not that they seemed in the least bit interested as none got out of their vehicles) for phone numbers as witnesses, so I guess I've not done so well in terms of covering my back there.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I feel strangely emotional at the support given on here (prob fear of this op I'm on my way to as much as owt!)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think you need to be careful about accepting money at this point. Often the acceptance of payment is taken to imply acceptance that this will be the only payment. So if your shoulder does start to play up later, you may have a battle on your hands to get any compensation if you have to miss work etc. I don't know the legal case, but if you give her any kind of written receipt, best to make it plain that you are accepting it for repair to your bike and not as a final payment for any health issues that may become apparent.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not call BC and get advice? You are not obliged to start a PI claim. Damages to property and to self are separate. The only issue is her insurance will know but she's obliged to tell them regardless. You need to tell the police too

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
To my mind, you did everything right. Apart from one thing. I think you were going far too fast - don't forget that it's not always easy to spot cyclists at the best of times, but when traffic's busy motorists can already be suffering from an overload of information and can be stressed out to boot. Perhaps you could send us a Google street view link of the spot?
Definitely agree with everything else that's been said here. A few years ago, someone's dog ran across the road and I hit him at high speed. The guy was very helpful and apologetic at the time, but once I got home I realised the bike was a right off. When I phoned him about this he was very rude and refused to pay. It's only because I had a witness and was able to threaten him with a letter by our solicitor that he coughed up. As an actual matter of fact, I'd lost the witnesses' details so I wouldn't have been able to follow it up anyway - fortunately the guy didn't know that!
Hope you get better soon and it doesn't put you off cycling.

Mile195

Veteran
Sorry to hear this and hope once the bruises fade you will be ok. You should definitely report it, just in case anything happens later (including her claiming against you which probably won't happen but you should cover yourself anyway). You don't have to take any action right now or ever if you don't want to - you just fill in a form which gets filed by the police.

As for what you can do in terms of riding style, I'd agree you were probably going a bit too fast if you were close enough to the cars on your left to make the gap in front of the van hidden to you. 15+ mph is ok if you were filtering on the other side of the road (had it been clear) giving you a better view of any gaps, but not otherwise. I mistrust ANY gaps I can see, but can't tell what they're for. Always assume it's there because there's something you can't see that may pull out. And when filtering down a cycle lane on the left hand side of the traffic, as you pass large vehicles that you can't see over, ALWAYS assume a pedestrian WILL walk across your path. Sometimes this sees you slowing down to a gentle jog or walking pace, but better this than ploughing into a pedestrian or, as you've experienced, going over someone's bonnet.

Years ago I nearly took someone out on a zebra crossing with a motorbike (missed them by maybe a foot) because I was filtering too close and too fast to see that a double decker bus had stopped to let someone cross, rather than just being there because of the traffic in front. Had the woman on the crossing not been so aware (and stopped walking as she passed the front of the bus), the outcome could have been very different and I changed my approach to filtering rather drastically after that.

Top Bottom