Accident - What next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Summary: Came up inside of stationary traffic, parallel to car that suddenly indicated and turned left across me. Over the bonnet to meet the ground. Police attended for sake of recording incident. I am fine nothing more than scrapes and bruises. Front wheel is goosed, handlebars too - bike shop currently processing for insurance quote as potential for forks requiring replacement too. All caught on helmet cam, driver admitted liability verbally and then further in writing (text message) and has offered to pay for all repairs.

In previous incidents i have engaged personal injury solicitors but i am not injured and, genuinely, have no inclination to pursue damages to that effect. All i require is my bike fixed and i am wholly content with this outcome.

Likelihood is the damage will run into the hundreds of quid for parts and labour; i am due to hear from shop today but guesstimate for parts alone is ~£300. Factor labour and any other parts that may need replaced due to the accident and it's suddenly ~£500+.

I doubt the driver will have the money to pay up for the damage (who the hell has that kind of cash lying around?) and i am pretty sure we will have to proceed to claiming from her insurance. This is where i am unclear of the formalities. Can someone here advise on how we get the insurance ball rolling?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Glad you’re ok! I would get in touch with the driver informing them of the cost, and after their sharp intake of breath, ask for her insurance details and contact them directly, unless you’re bike/personal insured, in which case, get them onto it.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Glad you’re ok! I would get in touch with the driver informing them of the cost, and after their sharp intake of breath, ask for her insurance details and contact them directly, unless you’re bike/personal insured, in which case, get them onto it.

Is that the way you do it? Get in touch, tell them what's happened and wait for them to cough up?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Whether it’s the best way, I don’t know, but it’s what I’d do. Give her the opportunity to pay up, and if she won’t/can’t, go down the insurance route.
I’ve been fortunate enough to not have the problem.
As in other threads, many people don’t realise the price of bikes!

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
You should have an incident number from the police. If you don’t already have the insurance details of the driver, I would contact the police (using incident number) and obtain the drivers details through them. Pass these details on to your insurance company and let them do the chasing up of payment.

The driver sounds like they’re trying to avoid claiming against their insurance.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
You should have an incident number from the police. If you don’t already have the insurance details of the driver, I would contact the police (using incident number) and obtain the drivers details through them. Pass these details on to your insurance company and let them do the chasing up of payment.

The driver sounds like they’re trying to avoid claiming against their insurance.

The interim call from the bike shop is "The wheelset is worth £550. Handlebars at £30-40. Forks are ok. Chainring looks to have taken a beating, £50 or so." - we're looking at £600-700 with labour. I will make the call over lunch and probably arrange to have a stiff gin with the driver to hash it out.

Incident number is on paper from the coppers @User , will refer to it if required. My bike is insured through my home insurance, do I pit the insurance companies against each other?

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Yep. I would. The driver should have reported it to their insurers anyway.

Oh they will have to. Final bill (just off the phone) is £790 including labour. Fulcrum Racing 44's will be replaced with Fulcrum Racing 3's. Seems a fair swap.

As above .... for getting insurace details off police / quotes from bike shop.

I've had two similar accidents in the past 3 years. First one, the driver wanted to pay (and told the police as such). Second, I claimed on his insurance as he was being a bit of an idiot at the scene. Both drivers were at fault (police). By far, the first one was a lot easier and quicker. Going through their insurance was only finally sorted out 8 months after the incident after I had to complain to the ombudsman. There were no injury claims, just the bike and lost transport. The insurance company was extremely poor, not responding to communication and "forgetting" details.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
As above .... for getting insurace details off police / quotes from bike shop.

I've had two similar accidents in the past 3 years. First one, the driver wanted to pay (and told the police as such). Second, I claimed on his insurance as he was being a bit of an idiot at the scene. Both drivers were at fault (police). By far, the first one was a lot easier and quicker. Going through their insurance was only finally sorted out 8 months after the incident after I had to complain to the ombudsman. There were no injury claims, just the bike and lost transport. The insurance company was extremely poor, not responding to communication and "forgetting" details.

Quite a few people quote the insurance companies as being utter bar-stewards but with any luck this should really be open and shut - it's on video, the driver has said verbally and now in writing they will pay for repairs which puts liability squarely on the driver (AFAIK). Even if the collision could be considered 50/50 the former fact, i'm sure, levels the playing ground here.

Quite a few people quote the insurance companies as being utter bar-stewards but with any luck this should really be open and shut - it's on video, the driver has said verbally and now in writing they will pay for repairs which puts liability squarely on the driver (AFAIK). Even if the collision could be considered 50/50 the former fact, i'm sure, levels the playing ground here.

Possibly :-). Mine was an open and shut case as well. It was simply the insurance company being rubbish. In the first case (when the driver offered to pay), I made it clear that I would go through insurance if there was any delay/disagreements and there wasn't. Despite what they advertise, the (2nd) insurance company wasn't filled with LOVE. Hope its smoother for you, the hassle is generally the last thing you need.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Just fair warning, but going up the left side of vehicles at a junction is a VERY BAD IDEA for exactly the reason you just found out.

I gave the thread a go over last night but i couldn't work out where to go without lawyering up; we're not at that stage (yet). And yes, definitely will be approaching stationary traffic near junctions on the outside now. My wife insists i take the cycle paths now. I did the first day back on the bike and nearly got taken out by a dog... you can't win!

alicat

Legendary Member

Possibly, until the driver has gone home and thought about it and spoken to a few mates. Proceed up the inside of traffic very cautiously. What if the traffic leaves a gap and someone comes from the other direction and turns right across your path.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Possibly, until the driver has gone home and thought about it and spoken to a few mates. Proceed up the inside of traffic very cautiously. What if the traffic leaves a gap and someone comes from the other direction and turns right across your path.

I absolutely agree. I've had incidents filtering on the outside and the inside. I can't say i'm entirely blameless in my riding style but this one is definitely on the driver. For me, y'know, it's a lesson learned.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Glad to hear you are not too damaged. As others have said, the story of the driver may well change in the future and also they may not want to pay up when they see the bill. Be prepared to go to the insurance sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom