Accident - What next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad you are ok, but tbh I doubt insurance company will pay out, may even come after you for damage to car. Undertaking is a no no, filter up the outside not the inside, unless a marked cycle lane, in which case you should be ok.

Insurance companies tell you in no uncertain terms to never admit liability regardless of wether you are at fault, her doing so will only make her life difficult and will not effect the insurance decision one iota, would be interested to see the cam footage though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Glad you are ok, but tbh I doubt insurance company will pay out, may even come after you for damage to car. Undertaking is a no no, filter up the outside not the inside, unless a marked cycle lane, in which case you should be ok.

Insurance companies tell you in no uncertain terms to never admit liability regardless of wether you are at fault, her doing so will only make her life difficult and will not effect the insurance decision one iota, would be interested to see the cam footage though.

I had to check the undertaking rules myself, but apparently is considered ok in terms of filtering. Dangerous (clearly) but not illegal.

Cam footage will go up once the case is closed. Someone told me it could prejudice things.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I gave the thread a go over last night but i couldn't work out where to go without lawyering up; we're not at that stage (yet). And yes, definitely will be approaching stationary traffic near junctions on the outside now. My wife insists i take the cycle paths now. I did the first day back on the bike and nearly got taken out by a dog... you can't win!
No worries. I'm always in two minds to start nitpicking when people have incidents, but getting nailed on the inside is something that doesn't need to happen. Stay riding, but stay safe!

Last edited:
Driver has agreed to pay, out of pocket, for repairs. This one is a turn up for the books.

More as this happens.

I'd still make sure he's confirmed his insurance details to the police and make it clear (politely) that if he hasn't coughed up in a couple of weeks, you'll go through insurance. Having said that, it may be a lot quicker than insurance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good news. Case law isn't strong when filtering. Ive had to accept 90/10 in my case. Doesnt make a huge issue but case law can be 50/50 if it gets to court. The decision was to agree liability out of court. Just have to agree damages now.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Good news. Case law isn't strong when filtering. Ive had to accept 90/10 in my case. Doesnt make a huge issue but case law can be 50/50 if it gets to court. The decision was to agree liability out of court. Just have to agree damages now.

I'll take the repairs and run to be honest! I'm on my heavy singlespeed at the minute for riding so any distance stuff is out of the window until The Good Bike is back with me. I'm effectively hamstrung and it sucks.

Drago

Legendary Member
You should have an incident number from the police. If you don’t already have the insurance details of the driver, I would contact the police (using incident number) and obtain the drivers details through them. Pass these details on to your insurance company and let them do the chasing up of payment.

The driver sounds like they’re trying to avoid claiming against their insurance.

They usually won't divulge such details to other drivers to avoid post accident stabbings and kneecappings. Best to get your own insurer to contact them. Your insurer can also pay the admin fee, which was about £90 (a government mandated price) but may have changed since I left.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
They usually won't divulge such details to other drivers to avoid post accident stabbings and kneecappings. Best to get your own insurer to contact them. Your insurer can also pay the admin fee, which was about £90 (a government mandated price) but may have changed since I left.

Perhaps they do things a little differently south of the border. The process I described was exactly how I managed to contact the drivers insurance company.

No fee for the service either.

It does seem like the OP has someone willing to stump up the costs upfront. Fingers crossed.

Yikes, I'm glad its only the bike hurt/ damaged though! I hope its all resolved to your satisfaction. The cynic in me says if he's willing to pay out a reasonable amount this quick, he's got something to hide but hey ho, I don't blame you for the grab and run :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
Driver will transfer money this evening, then it's back to the shop to get the repair train out of the station. Truly a bizarre turn up for the books.
Something doesn't seem right. Sorry to say this, but all within so short a period.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given you can get the owners details with the incident number, provided by the police for short of £15, the reasons for not supplying them to the other party gets a bit thin.

Top Bottom