Accident - What next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

Something doesn't seem right. Sorry to say this, but all within so short a period.
Have had a couple of people stump up cash quick when minor bump in cars has been close to excess. The other driver didnt want the hassle with insurance either.

Perhaps the driver feels bad and just wants to help out and move on?

Has to be pretty upsetting putting someone over the bonnet. (Although the lady who did the same to me didnt seem too phased)

Hope the OP gets sorted out soon.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just out of interest, you might want to stuck his reg through the MIB website see if he even has any insurance.

However, the scenario isn't unheard off. My ex BIL, a Beds Feds inspector, was knocked off his bike by a Catholic priest of all people. An hour later the god botherer was at his front door with a vast roll of cash, counting out the notes until BIL finally says "I think that'll do..."

Gary E

Veteran
Wow, so many cynics :ohmy: It may be that they're just honest and want to make amends for what they feel is their fault?

If I was the driver, and I thought that I'd caused the accident, I'd be exactly the same. Up to the point, that is, where I start getting questioned and accused of having a hidden agenda! Then the gloves are off!

I'd say that the driver has behaved fairly towards you (which isn't always the case for us non-road tax paying pests!) so take it at face value and thank them for being one of the nice guys. You have to look out for yourself sure, but always looking for the worst in a person/situation will just wear you down. Get back on the bike and let it go. If you see the driver again give them a cheery wave and a smile (while passing them on the right) :smile:

Last edited:

Gary E

Veteran
If the driver were being honest, then they would be using their insurance company to deal with the matter. Just saying...
Why? If everybody is happy and they don't have to risk their no claims or their premium going up who loses?
Having spent the better part of 18 months settling an insurance claim for a minor dink I wish I'd offered to pay out of my pocket and avoided the whole faff :smile:

Plus, had this gone through the insurance there's very little chance that it would have been resolved anywhere near as quickly as this :smile:

alicat

Legendary Member
Why? If everybody is happy and they don't have to risk their no claims or their premium going up who loses?

The driver's insurance co and indirectly all the other policy holders. The driver's risk profile is not accurate so everyone else bears an increased share of the overall risk.

vickster

Legendary Member
He is also obliged to inform his insurance company of the collision regardless of whether the company has to pay out or not.

Positive for the OP that it's got settled quickly with so little hassle :smile:

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
The driver followed through, money was in my account and now out to the shop to get repairs underway.

I am going to be lambasted and criticised for the following clip. I look forward to hearing 'You were travelling too fast', 'There wasn't enough room why would you attempt that', 'Why would you go up the inside', and even that i am at fault for this collision. To them i will say this:

The plain and simple fact is that the driver of vehicle was effectively stationary in traffic, gave zero indication of their intention to turn (although did think to indicate after i'd drawn parallel as you can see by the wing-mirror indicator) and turned without checking mirrors despite having passed me with a reasonably wide berth some minutes earlier and therefore having been aware of me on the road.

I am in one piece, the bike will be fixed, the driver has shifted the guilty conscience for not being alert. We can call this case closed.

D

Deleted member 1258

The driver followed through, money was in my account and now out to the shop to get repairs underway.

I am going to be lambasted and criticised for the following clip. I look forward to hearing 'You were travelling too fast', 'There wasn't enough room why would you attempt that', 'Why would you go up the inside', and even that i am at fault for this collision. To them i will say this:

The plain and simple fact is that the driver of vehicle was effectively stationary in traffic, gave zero indication of their intention to turn (although did think to indicate after i'd drawn parallel as you can see by the wing-mirror indicator) and turned without checking mirrors despite having passed me with a reasonably wide berth some minutes earlier and therefore having been aware of me on the road.

I am in one piece, the bike will be fixed, the driver has shifted the guilty conscience for not being alert. We can call this case closed.

Personally I wouldn't have gone up the inside, if you look at the cars position its slightly angled towards the left and even if I'd had been filtering on the left that would have been enough to set of my spider senses, it did slightly watching the film clip.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Personally I wouldn't have gone up the inside, if you look at the cars position its slightly angled towards the left and even if I'd have been filtering on the left that would have been enough to set of my spider senses, it did slightly watching the film clip.

Y'know, that's fair - in the heat of the moment i figured it was enough space, the car looked to be heading on... ech. Poor judgement which ended in me on the deck. Lessons learned all round on this i think.

Might as well have my 2p worth lol. Think you are a lucky bunny as stated, given the car in front of her was turning left and the traffic in front of that was dispersing I personally would not have been looking to undertake her and she was quite close to kerb I would have been scared I would catch her in any case. As an aside to her 'late' indication i wonder if her rear indicator was defective and the reason she as settled so easily? Is it a cig or a spliff she dispenses with when she exits the car lol

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Hmm, the gap looked tight and when the car in front turned left, I would like to think that in the situation I would have held back, partly because of fear of the left hook, but mainly just in case when she started moving after the left turning car, she drove closer to the pavement making the gap even tighter.
At least it seems to be sorted, so one of cycling's learning experiences. :okay:

Going back a couple of pages, my cut and dried case really was cut and dried compared to yours :-).
I think you've covered most of the reasons for self flagellation yourself, but the world keeps turning and you'll be back on the road properly soon :-)
BTW, good of you to put the clip up.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Inside filtering, fine, go for it. However, side roads, entrances, driveways etc exist for vehicles to turn into them, so don't be too surprised when one does just that. Either progress with great caution, or stick to the speed of traffic flow when passing such points.

Once again, no one died, so take the opportunity to learn from the experience.

Top Bottom