Accident with London bus and cyclist - advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluepeds

Hi all,

I'm looking at some advice on how to proceed with my case against a London bus driver who from the information given to me by witnesses, was intending to cause harm whilst I was cycling home from work on Wednesday evening (12th November).

I won't fully explain what happened as it'll be too long winded, but in short, the bus driver cut me up on approaching a bus stop on the A23 in Oval, London and stopped the bus, whereby I nearly fell off due to a pothole having been squeezed towards the kerbside. I cycled to the front of the bus and placed my bike in front of the bus so to get his details. He refused and when asked why he didn't allow me to go ahead, he responded that "I was too small". When asked again he replied "because I don't give a f*ck". I was standing in front of the bus so I can get my phone to take evidence but he instead reversed and proceeded to go towards me to mow me down, whereby I had to jump out of the way to the middle of the road with oncoming traffic.

I was determined to get the drivers details so followed the bus and ended up 2 miles away in Herne Hill. The bus arrived at the bus stop and I had my phone recording. I asked him again, he flipped the birdie whilst I was panning towards him. He started coming towards me to mow me down yet again, and when driving off he said "it's because I don't give a f*ck". Again I had to jump out of the way.

On continuing cycling, I ended up along side the driver and said that I've got his details then proceeded in front to get to the left hand lane. He sped up as I could hear from behind and from the reflection of the headlights on the road getting brighter. I had to gain speed as he was now raging, then suddenly as I approached the traffic lights, he's either clipped me or forced me into another cyclist and we've both hit the ground. The bus driver then deliberately drives over my bike which is now a write off.

I've received injuries which include lacerations/grazes/cuts/bruises to my left arm, legs, ankle, hip, hands, shoulder and face. Later that night I was given stitches in A&E.

The police turned up 30mins after the incident and took statements from the driver and myself. The witnesses had dispersed by then although some have been in touch and I've a main witness who was at the front of the bus by the driver cab where she screamed at him to slow down and was he trying to kill me.

I've contacted TFL and the bus company to which I'm waiting on a response to also include CCTV footage from the bus as well as the street cameras of where the two incidents occurred. The bus driver gave me his details at the scene although I later found out that he's provided me with false information when the police officer cross checked the info.

So my queries are:
- Should I involve a solicitor immediately?
- Should I chase the police or await for their contact? I've been told it will take 2 weeks.
- The police officer who queried the information given to me by the driver didn't note that the information provided to me was false. Should I track down the officer down so that this is recorded in his notes?
- The bike is a write off, cycle clothing ripped, mobile phone smashed and other accessories destroyed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peds

vickster

Legendary Member
Nasty! Are you a member of British Cycling, LCC, CTC? If so, I'd get onto their legal team asap. Otherwise you may need to wait before trying a no win no fee type claim (if you have legal cover on car/home insurance, you could try contacting them, or any sort of support through your job)

You'll need to wait for the police I expect - did you get an incident number, officer details etc as the legal folks will need that info.

Take photos of your injuries and damage to bike, accessories etc. Don't throw anything away

Hope you get a good resolution

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You wait for the police to contact you. Yours is not the only case he is dealing with. If they decide not to proceed you can take civil action but you have a much better chance if the bus driver is found guilty in court.

Personally, I would contact an accident solicitor now but they can be expensive but you may be able to get a free consultation somewhere. Hopefully someone on here will advise you.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The solicitors that CTC use (Slater & Gordon) will probably take your case on a no-win-no-fee basis even if you're not a member. I found them very helpful.

Keep logs and receipts of all expenses, take photos of your injuries.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a feeling you can join the CTC retrospectively - phone them Telephone: 0844 736 8451 or 01483 238301 (local rate)

As above you could try S&G directly or perhaps LeighDay (who British Cycling use)

You can join CTC retrospectively and their solicitors will help.
Sounds terrifying and glad you survived it.
Please keep us updated and good luck.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unfortunately not. I'm guessing it would be too late to do this now if I need advice.
Search Accident Advice in title only, under my username, for details on what you may need to consider.
Also see Statement Template, in commuting for an idea of how to word it.

The daft part is you'll need a bikeshop to give a quote on repair or to say thats its a write-off. Your words aren't good enough as you may be biased & unqualified to make such a statement.

DMOOCOW

Having my 1 day old race bike wrote off by a car several weeks ago. It was caught on CCTV by a bus. Not involved in the accident but Cost £10. Lots of angles and sound. Should be available Good luck with case.

Crankarm

Guru
^^^^ Wot the others have said. Sounds really terrifying. But I would have just let it go. No way I would have got in front of a huge red double decker bus with a raging maniac at the wheel.

The passenger witness on board sounds like they will be the driver's worst nightmare as testimony from them that they thought the driver was trying to kill you will mean the driver loses their job as no employer could take the risk of employing a pyscho to take charge of one of their huge London double decker buses unless they have a policy to employ psychopaths. Beggar's belief really. If the police aren't taking this seriously then you need to make sure they are. Those who ride in London @gaz or @Tynan will know the right authorities to contact to get this nutter off the roads.

Glad you are ok, but next time, let it go. He could have killed you and then where would you be?

This sounds horrific, and I don't blame you for being determined to get his details, I would have likely reacted the same in the heat of it. I hope with hindsight your realise that making a note of his number plate, the time and date would have been enough to make a complaint with the bus operator and you needn't have chased him down (for two miles!) and ended up in a worse state because of it.

I'm just glad you were not too seriously injured.

Sara_H

Guru
I was recently the victim of a deliberate hit and run. I'm a CTC member and as such am using their legal service to claim against the driver for my financial losses, however they offered me no support whatsoever with regard to the criminal proceedings.

Can one ride a written-off bike two miles in pursuit of a bus?

I'm not being awkward, but it's a question you may be asked.
Think you have misread the post, according to the OP it wasn't damaged until the bus driver had driven too close, resulting in him colliding with another rider and falling from the bike, the bus driver then allegedly drove over the bike.

Top Bottom