Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Thanks to everyone who replied - very grateful. I'm also quite pleased that I managed to "fix" my shifter all by myself!

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Road test so far so good with regards to the shifter and caliper brake - I think the rear derailleur needs attention though and its making funny noises when in certain gears. Also, when I back pedal, the chain doesn't run smoothly; it backs up on itself. I'll run it into the bike shop tomorrow and see what they say. I could kick myself but accidents happen.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.

Road test so far so good with regards to the shifter and caliper brake - I think the rear derailleur needs attention though and its making funny noises when in certain gears. Also, when I back pedal, the chain doesn't run smoothly; it backs up on itself. I'll run it into the bike shop tomorrow and see what they say. I could kick myself but accidents happen.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.
Yeah, sounds like something is off with the rear derailleur. Shop you purchased from will probably fix it for free. Worst case would be new hanger (less than £10).

Tim Hall

Yeah, sounds like something is off with the rear derailleur. Shop you purchased from will probably fix it for free. Worst case would be new hanger (less than £10).
Or could just be coincidental-cables-needing-tweaking-first-service stuff, as it sounds like the OP came down on his left side. But yes, let the shop have a look.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It is feasible that you've bent the gear hanger but unlikely as it would have been uppermost but a stray foot could have clobbered it as you fell'
Have you checked the chain is running correctly on the jockey wheels though, it may have jumped sideways off the pulley and be trapped between the teeth on that and the sideplate.

This is NOT a criticism, simply a lesson to be learnt

Do not approach the insurance companies until you are sure that you will be making a claim

Always get the item (whatever it is) assessed first and then approach them

This is because the insurance companies tend to regard these inquiries as a "claim" whether yu proceed or not as you have reported an accident to them. THey will then increase your next premium / cancel no claim bonus

There was even one reported instance on house insurance when a major accident was refused payment on the grounds that because the holder had made such an inquiry. They had not declared it on their application and stated that they had not made a claim in 5 years on the form, the information given was false and invalidated the policy - which they then they cancelled on these grounds
!

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
This is NOT a criticism, simply a lesson to be learnt

Do not approach the insurance companies until you are sure that you will be making a claim

Always get the item (whatever it is) assessed first and then approach them

This is because the insurance companies tend to regard these inquiries as a "claim" whether yu proceed or not as you have reported an accident to them. THey will then increase your next premium / cancel no claim bonus

There was even one reported instance on house insurance when a major accident was refused payment on the grounds that because the holder had made such an inquiry. They had not declared it on their application and stated that they had not made a claim in 5 years on the form, the information given was false and invalidated the policy - which they then they cancelled on these grounds
!

I know. I just panicked when I saw the shifter all bent, etc as I thought the bike was damaged and that I would need to claim my insurance. Going to go into the bike shop this morning.

Top Bottom