Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

A few months ago I got my first road bike (Giant Defy 2) - I got clipless pedals put onto the bike which have taken a bit of getting used to and I've covered a fair amount of miles without too much incident (the odd minor fall, etc). However, tonight, I was out on the bike on a cycle path (downhill between two roads) and I was turning the bend and oversteered on myself - the result was I fell off the bike. No major injuries to me except a cut to my elbow and my pride. My bike however has come off worst - I was able to ride it home no bother. The left shifter and hood is all bent in (although it still manages to function with gears and brake) and when I was wheeling the bike into the house, it felt a bit "draggy", so I don't know if I've maybe buckled a wheel or wheels of something. The rear derailleur at the bottom I think is damaged too. Pics to follow if I can figure out how to put them on from my phone (I'm not very technology minded).

I've got this bike through Cyclescheme (NHS) and it is insured through my home insurance. I phoned my insurance company as soon as I came in but I got through to the general enquiry line and the very helpful lady advised me to phone the claims department first thing in the morning. I have an excess of £50 and I think the work involved will probably cost much more than £50. I just hope that my insurance company allow me to use the bike shop where I purchased the bike for the repair.

This is the first time I've had an accident on a bike whereby I have potentially had to make a claim through my insurers. Can anyone give me their experiences - good and/or bad? Thanks J

Broadside

Guru
Put some photos up, I bet you can fix it yourself for free.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sure it'll all be fine as long as it's insured for accidental damage too? Just stay calm, explain what happened and get a couple of quotes for repairs from shops you'd like to use

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Pics:

Attachments

• 20160511_210458.jpg
    20160511_210458.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 20160511_210438.jpg
    20160511_210438.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 1462997245068.jpg
    1462997245068.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 201

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sounds like no more than a slide, as nasty as they can be. You will be unlucky to have done any major damage and nothing a bit of straightening out will cure.

EDIT: Just seen the pictures and as Ian says, the shifter/brake will just push back into position. The "Draggy" feeling could just be a brake block rubbing on the rim.

vickster

Legendary Member
Those should be simple to straighten, there's a bolt under the hood cover, twist to the right position and retighten. I am sure your shop will do for free or a couple of beer tokens. Take it to them before calling the insurance, so as to protect your premium and excess

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
You can just push/whack the brifter back into position.
Forcefully pull the shifter back in to line, if it won't budge fold the rubber hood up from the rear and use a 6mm Allen key to loosen the bolt, pull the shifter back in to line and then tighten the bolt.

The dragging on the wheel will probably just be where the brake caliper needs to be recentered, you can nearly always do this bit without tools.

Tim Hall

You can just push/whack the brifter back into position.
But for a more fulfilling life, don't call it a brifter.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Forcefully pull the shifter back in to line, if it won't budge fold the rubber hood up from the rear and use a 6mm Allen key to loosen the bolt, pull the shifter back in to line and then tighten the bolt.

The dragging on the wheel will probably just be where the brake caliper needs to be recentered, you can nearly always do this bit without tools.

Hi there - I've managed to push the shifter back into line by loosening and then re-tightening the bolt. How do I re-centre the brake caliper at the front?

Thanks very much so far for your help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi there - I've managed to push the shifter back into line by loosening and then re-tightening the bolt. How do I re-centre the brake caliper at the front?

Thanks very much so far for your help.
You should just be able to push it gently into the right position. I'd turn the bike upside down, remove and reseat the wheel as well :smile:

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
This is what the front brake caliper looks like (pics below as they are coming from my phone) - how do I adjust the caliper to stop it rubbing?

Attachments

• 20160511_213346.jpg
    20160511_213346.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 142

vickster

Legendary Member
Take it to the shop in the morning :smile: I can't imagine they'll charge if you're a regular :smile: ask to watch while they do the fix

You just need to push the arm gently to the appropriate side to centre it. The little lever then needs to be pushed down

Top Bottom