Accidental damage on a newly purchased bike... arrgghhh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Win

I recently purchased a Specialized Sirrus Sport 2012 from an independent retailer, and noticed after a couple of rides that one of the back brake pads was slightly rubbing against the wheel trim. I tried to rectify the situation by turning one of the brake-alignment screws, but being a novice I ended up turning it too much and cracking the plastic casing... :cry:

I only just purchased the bike about a week ago and I'm not sure where I stand in relation to the warranty, as the LBS doesn't appear to have the details on their online site at the moment. Would I have to pay for a replacement part or might the damage be covered under the warranty?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
take it back and say "I bought this last week and have just noticed that 'this' is cracked." then plead ignorance.

Cyclist33

do you mean the twister on the cable end near the brake lever, the tiny screw sticking out the side of the brake arm, the big screw that holds the cable in place at the brake arm, the screw that holds the brake pad on the arm, or the screw that holds the arm onto the frame??

Stu

OP
OP
W

Win

I
take it back and say "I bought this last week and have just noticed that 'this' is cracked." then plead ignorance.
Thanks MontyVeda. I had thought about doing that but wasn't sure if they'd buy that as there are very small indentations on the screw head, caused by the screwdriver that I used.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I
Thanks MontyVeda. I had thought about doing that but wasn't sure if they'd buy that as there are very small indentations on the screw head, caused by the screwdriver that I used.
you are within your rights to adjust your bike... it's not like dismantling a DVD player.

OP
OP
W

Win

do you mean the twister on the cable end near the brake lever, the tiny screw sticking out the side of the brake arm, the big screw that holds the cable in place at the brake arm, the screw that holds the brake pad on the arm, or the screw that holds the arm onto the frame??

Stu
I'm not sure, but it's referred to within this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_117887_tighten-loosen-bicycle.html

ushills

Veteran
Just go back to the LBS and explain what happened.

They may just repair it for free as goodwill or charge you, however, it sounds like they will do a better job and your going to have to have it fixed in any event.

They may even give you some tips for next time.

OP
OP
W

Win

you are within your rights to adjust your bike... it's not like dismantling a DVD player.
I'd be inclined to agree with you there. I didn't think I put too much pressure on when turning the screw, and was surprised that it cracked so easily. Mind you, I probably did a few too many rotations when doing it.

OP
OP
W

Win

No, in this case the customer has made an error, and any good LBS will probably fix it gratis. however, it is NOT right to lie and attempt to say that the problem existed when the bike was bought !
Thanks cisamcgu, I'm more inclined to follow your (as well as other members) advice on coming clean and hoping for the best. And I did purposefully choose to buy the bike from an independent retailer, whereas I'd be more likely to be dishonest if it was a big retailer like 'Hellfords' :thumbsdown:

[Edit: Made some minor changes.]

Top Bottom