Accidental Singlespeed Convert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan_h

So I have been thinking about converting an old frame I have in the garage into a singlespeed to find out what it is like for a while now. Basically I seem to spend a reasonable amount of time tweaking and fettling the gears on my bike and have thought the simplicity of a singlespeed would be good. However things did not quite work out like that.

On my main roadbike the chainrings needed replacing, I popped on an old set of rings and cranks I had lying around just to get the bike running for a few days with the plan of buying a new set on payday! The only thing was the crank hit the front mech. Only having a few minutes to fix it (it was late and I needed the bike for work the next day) i popped the front mech and the cable off. So down to 7 gears.

Riding in the next day in a moment of carelessness I smacked the rear mech on a low railing by the bike shed at work. it was knocked out of alignment and was shifting really badly on the way home. I stopped and locked it under the 4th cog, giving a decent straight chainline and an 18t/46t ratio. Again I thought "get it to the weekend and I will fix it properly".

So on one gear the next day I set out for work, expecting to have to push on every hill but oddly I did not, just get up and pedal!! The ride was 4 minutes QUICKER than on gears. The same thing riding home! I took the shifters off so I could not accidentally try and shift the locked rear mech (locked using the H stop) and have been riding it ever since (over 100 miles so far).

I am now thinking instead of putting the gears back on I might complete the transition properly. the bike could do with new cogs / chain anyway so I am thinking of putting a singlespeed hub in. Somehow singlespeed just seems to have put a load of fun back into riding! Or perhaps it is just insanity bought on by oxygen deprevation trying to climb hills without the aid of gears...
biggrin.gif

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I was amazed when I found out that my average speed was quicker on a singlespeed than on a geared bike (as long as I stay out of Wales!) You pay so much more attention to momentum, attacking hills and getting down out of the wind because you don't have the option of selecting a lower gear. And it's just such good fun!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I was amazed when I found out that my average speed was quicker on a singlespeed than on a geared bike (as long as I stay out of Wales!) You pay so much more attention to momentum, attacking hills and getting down out of the wind because you don't have the option of selecting a lower gear. And it's just such good fun!

I saw you yesterday, whizzing through Bronygarth !

You were dressed in black and I think that the bike was black too ! And, singlespeed . . . or fixed ?

I did wave, but you had a maniacal gleam :biggrin: in your eyes and didn't see me.

So what is the new bike ? A 'project' build or a new bike ?

You seemed to be enjoying it so much, I'm almost :whistle: considering getting one myself. Mind you, I live on the top of a hill and I've also just acquired a tandem - Mrs Pubrunner's face was a sight to behold, when I told her that I'd got yet another bike ! :biggrin:

Where did you get it from, Al ?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Hiya Andy!

I picked up an end-of-range 2011 Specialized Langster a couple of weeks ago. After about 150 miles as a single speed I flipped the rear wheel to the fixed cog yesterday and I must have done about 12 miles when I passed through Bronygarth - going downhill takes a lot of concentration at the moment! Had great fun overtaking 3 roadies on the old Gobowen/Hengoed road and then catching up the same bunch again on the climb out of Glyn Ceiriog up to Selattyn - being an old bloke on a fixie gets you a certain amount of respect. After 4 pints in the Cross Keys the hill from Selattyn down to Oswestry was bloody scary with my legs a-blur being shoved around at 30+ mph. My brain has a problem with braking while I'm still pedaling but fortunately the alcohol allowed me to bypass it.

I'll persevere with fixed for a week or two but I may flip the rear wheel back to the freewheel side after that. It amazes me how much fun single speed is - and just what you can get up if you have no choice. (All the way up through Craignant and Llechydrau for instance!) Call in and you can take it for a spin!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
After 4 pints in the Cross Keys the hill from Selattyn down to Oswestry was bloody scary with my legs a-blur being shoved around at 30+ mph.

I'd like to see you coming down the Bath Banks, towards Weston Rhyn :biggrin: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

It amazes me how much fun single speed is - and just what you can get up if you have no choice. (All the way up through Craignant and Llechydrau for instance!)

Yet, you described Blodwell Bank as 'hard' ??? - Llechrydau is tougher . . . especially on fixed or single speed ! :wacko:

Call in and you can take it for a spin!

I'll do that sometime !

Top Bottom