Accidents waiting to happen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Well, the trial is going well. Not.

It seems that it never occured to the company involved that people might actually misuse the scooters. Is it one of those companies being run by Government advisors?

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Saturday E-Scooter Stupidity:

Waiting for the bus in Old Market, spotted two young kids, probably abound 12-13, riding escooters in the middle of heavy traffic going around here:
old market.jpg

Irresponsible parenting bought them the scooters they were riding on the road. Kids should not be out on the in the middle of traffic. Even kids on bike usually have an adult with them but these two didn't and appeared to be trying to race cars!:ohmy:

G3CWI

Veteran
Saturday E-Scooter Stupidity

There is another take on e-scooters. If they arer widely adopted, and driven (ridden?) incautiously, motorists will need to be far more aware of what is going on around them - to the benefit of all road users. I have noticed this effect myself. Here in Macclesfield there are relatively few (and all impecably behaved) cyclists. When I drive my wife's car I feel confident. However, when we visit friends in Cambridge in the car, I constantly feel on edge and wishing that I had eight pairs of eyes to look out for cyclists and negotiate alien "cycling infrastructure". I am far more alert.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
There is another take on e-scooters. If they arer widely adopted, and driven (ridden?) incautiously, motorists will need to be far more aware of what is going on around them - to the benefit of all road users. I have noticed this effect myself. Here in Macclesfield there are relatively few (and all impecably behaved) cyclists. When I drive my wife's car I feel confident. However, when we visit friends in Cambridge in the car, I constantly feel on edge and wishing that I had eight pairs of eyes to look out for cyclists and negotiate alien "cycling infrastructure". I am far more alert.
Last time I drove in That London, I felt my eyes were on stalks trying to keep track of the cyclists weaving around me to left and right. Marble Arch was a complete free for all.

captain nemo1701

The two kids I saw in the middle of traffic seemed to have no sense of road craft at all. In fact, at that age, 'fun' is more important than rules and they probably have no training to be on the road at all. So I feel for an innocent driver who gets involved in a collision with some child on a scooter in an environment where they really should not be until they've had enough road training. Then, you'll have all the emotion of it when little 'Johnny' goes under the wheels of an HGV....

Reactions: C R

Milzy

Guru
I am with Postman on this.
In Majorca last year they were flying down the cycle/pedestrian lane.......can only guess at the speeds but very fast.
Someone will get seriously hurt soon.
You must be off your rocker man.

captain nemo1701

It seems that it never occured to the company involved that people might actually misuse the scooters. Is it one of those companies being run by Government advisors?
Of course its' never 'occurred' to them. They're only interested in sales. Lime/Bird have thrust these things on various cities around the globe, mainly with little forethought. Plus daft politicians jump on the bandwagon not wishing to be seen as the 'nanny sate' interfering.

Remember, pesky safety gets in the way of all-dominating 'fun'.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Saturday E-Scooter Stupidity:

Waiting for the bus in Old Market, spotted two young kids, probably abound 12-13, riding escooters in the middle of heavy traffic going around here:
View attachment 540815
Irresponsible parenting bought them the scooters they were riding on the road. Kids should not be out on the in the middle of traffic. Even kids on bike usually have an adult with them but these two didn't and appeared to be trying to race cars!:ohmy:
Perhaps if the people causing the heavy traffic switched to scooters then there would be no heavy traffic.
You see trouble, I see that in 5 years time these kids may still be on scooters and thus there will be two less cars in which they could cause a huge amount of damage. There is no reason why kids on bicycles should not be allowed on the road and perhaps in the future legislation will catch up a e-scooters will be allowed too.

captain nemo1701

Perhaps if the people causing the heavy traffic switched to scooters then there would be no heavy traffic.
You see trouble, I see that in 5 years time these kids may still be on scooters and thus there will be two less cars in which they could cause a huge amount of damage. There is no reason why kids on bicycles should not be allowed on the road and perhaps in the future legislation will catch up a e-scooters will be allowed too.

I think you may have missed my point. They were, IMHO, too young to be out on (currently) illegal machines in the middle of traffic. They are a risk to themselves and other road users due to their age an inexperience.

Do they know the rules of the road?....unlikely.
Do they have training to safely use motorised transport and do they have adequate insurance?...again, unliklely.
Have the scooters been checked to see if they are mechanically up to the task of riding in 30 mph traffic?.....ditto

So they are high risk, in my opinion.

You see trouble, I see that in 5 years time these kids may still be on scooters and thus there will be two less cars in which they could cause a huge amount of damage....

I see inexperienced accidents waiting to happen. I also see two potential bike riders that, if they switched to cycling, may not become obese in the future and would be healthier for it. I see to young people that, once used to using motorised transport, will be more reluctant to change in the future. After all, that cycling lark is effort:okay:.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think you may have missed my point. They were, IMHO, too young to be out on (currently) illegal machines in the middle of traffic. They are a risk to themselves and other road users due to their age an inexperience.

Do they know the rules of the road?....unlikely.
Do they have training to safely use motorised transport and do they have adequate insurance?...again, unliklely.
Have the scooters been checked to see if they are mechanically up to the task of riding in 30 mph traffic?.....ditto

So they are high risk, in my opinion.

You see trouble, I see that in 5 years time these kids may still be on scooters and thus there will be two less cars in which they could cause a huge amount of damage....

I see inexperienced accidents waiting to happen. I also see two potential bike riders that, if they switched to cycling, may not become obese in the future and would be healthier for it. I see to young people that, once used to using motorised transport, will be more reluctant to change in the future. After all, that cycling lark is effort:okay:.
I would quite happily let my child ride around that junction on their own, at age 14 they could have an e-bike. Your arguments about kids being on the road on scooters is the same as those made by motorists towards cyclists, basically licensing, insurance and MOTs, there is little difference between a e-scooter and an e-bike, sooner or later the legislation will catch up.

C R

Guru
Of course its' never 'occurred' to them. They're only interested in sales. Lime/Bird have thrust these things on various cities around the globe, mainly with little forethought. Plus daft politicians jump on the bandwagon not wishing to be seen as the 'nanny sate' interfering.

Remember, pesky safety gets in the way of all-dominating 'fun'.
And profit, don't forget profit.

Top Bottom