Accidents waiting to happen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Actually, is this going to be an example of laws following public behaviour? If there's suddenly thousands of them in use it's effectively a fait accompli and the law may be changed to reflect the reality.
Don't tell the Critical Mass people, whatever you do.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Don't tell the Critical Mass people, whatever you do.
I steer clear of religion wherever I can.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Actually, is this going to be an example of laws following public behaviour? If there's suddenly thousands of them in use it's effectively a fait accompli and the law may be changed to reflect the reality.
If you want to control these things, just make their sale illegal. At the moment, its like cocaine being illegal to use but not to sell it with dealers saying 'don't snort it in public'. I'll see you all on another future thread when the accident stats start coming in as they have been in places like Atlanta:
Night time ban escooters
29 fatalities

I especially look forward to the emotional tales of anguish and sorrow in the tabloids as schoolkids...having 'fun' on these things...in traffic...start going under the wheels of cars and other traffic:okay:.

Plus, still with Drago on this one. Escooters appeal to the bone idle who don't like the effort of pedaling. They undermine the current Govt efforts to combat obesity.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want to control these things, just make their sale illegal. At the moment, its like cocaine being illegal to use but not to sell it with dealers saying 'don't snort it in public'. I'll see you all on another future thread when the accident stats start coming in as they have been in places like Atlanta:
Night time ban escooters
29 fatalities

I especially look forward to the emotional tales of anguish and sorrow in the tabloids as schoolkids...having 'fun' on these things...in traffic...start going under the wheels of cars and other traffic:okay:.

Plus, still with Drago on this one. Escooters appeal to the bone idle who don't like the effort of pedaling. They undermine the current Govt efforts to combat obesity.
Mostly slim young men using them around here, mid-late teens into mid 20s (maybe 1 in 15 are women of a similar age and body type). I would think many have e scooters as they are too young for the roads or e scooters simply cost far less than a petrol one or a car. I can’t recall seeing anyone obese on one
Many appear to be a liability though on the road, pavement or shared path :cursing:

Last edited:

Lozz360

Veteran
They are the future of urban travel IMO. ...

Segways...Sinclair C5 anyone?.
We should revisit this thread in two years time.

Segway the company was taken over by Ninebot who also supply Xiaomi scooters and therefore provide most of the e-scooters sold worldwide. They decided to stop production of the Segway because they saw the shift in preference to scooters over the two wheeled side-by-side vehicles.

captain nemo1701

We should revisit this thread in two years time.

Segway the company was taken over by Ninebot who also supply Xiaomi scooters and therefore provide most of the e-scooters sold worldwide. They decided to stop production of the Segway because they saw the shift in preference to scooters over the two wheeled side-by-side vehicles.

The shift in preference IMHO, is because Segways are just marginally faster than walking. I always thought they looked like the most pointless piece of tech ever designed.

captain nemo1701

Mostly slim young men using them around here, mid-late teens into mid 20s (maybe 1 in 15 are women of a similar age and body type). I would think many have e scooters as they are too young for the roads or e scooters simply cost far less than a petrol one or a car. I can’t recall seeing anyone obese on one
Many appear to be a liability though on the road, pavement or shared path :cursing:

It's not about obese people using them, and they shouldn't in the first place. It's about encouraging reliance on motor transport, while cycling makes you burn calories. Those slim young guys, when they get into their 40's, probably won't be slim for much longer:laugh:.
I feel for kids. They've got used to going everywhere by car, even short distances to school (in the 70's, I walked there all the time). Now, they've got escooters. Same thing - discouraging exercise thus contributing to obesity & poor health later on in life.

Plus with faster models being available, restricting them is utterly laughable. If folk break the law en masse now, how about 40-50mph escooters shooting along cyclepaths which have banned 30mph mopeds?.

And as posted above, how is the insurance industry dealing with crash/injury claims?. I wouldn't want to be involved in crashing into a scooter rider on the road:ohmy:. If you ride illegal transport, irrespective of how much fun it may be, the insurance industry may not pay out.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
When you're cruising into town on the bike at around 18mph and the bloke in front is pulling away from you on one of those monowheel/Ninebot thingies, while playing with his mobile...

captain nemo1701

I just think the Tory trash Govt we have is hopeless at controlling anything. If people are willing to break the law with 15-20mph scooters, others will do it with more powerful ones. For me, this is the beginning of the 'motorisation' of cycle paths. Some can't really be bothered to pedal, seems too hard yet they crave absolute convenience so use escooters. Many accidents waiting to happen.....

• Sad
Reactions: C R

captain nemo1701

When you're cruising into town on the bike at around 18mph and the bloke in front is pulling away from you on one of those monowheel/Ninebot thingies, while playing with his mobile...
..straight into something then either A&E or six foot under. It's natural selection at work. I feel for the innocent people who obey the rules of the road who may find themselves involved in an accident with one of these blasted things....:cursing:

I don't expect you to like or ever think about owning a scooter but they are far less of a problem for you to worry about when it comes to motorised traffic.
I had the impression postman was worried about the wellbeing of the folks riding these things.
If he means the things like old fashioned kids push scooters but with electric power and small wheels I share his concern.
I see a fair few of those going round london's south circular - small wheels, potholes, heavy trucks, some folk with no helmets or a somewhat casual riding style - what could possibly go wrong?

(I was extremely lucky not to be thrown (and then maybe killed) from a 700 wheel bike on the south circular last year by a relatively small hole)

captain nemo1701

I had the impression postman was worried about the wellbeing of the folks riding these things.
If he means the things like old fashioned kids push scooters but with electric power and small wheels I share his concern.
I see a fair few of those going round london's south circular - small wheels, potholes, heavy trucks, some folk with no helmets or a somewhat casual riding style - what could possibly go wrong?

(I was extremely lucky not to be thrown (and then maybe killed) from a 700 wheel bike on the south circular last year by a relatively small hole)

I'll be perfectly frank here. Escooters are an evolution of petrol 'go-peds' which are in turn an evolution from a child's toy when someone thought of adding an engine to it. Go peds were a bad idea back then....

For other motorised traffic like cars, motorbikes, HGV, buses etc, all these require training & a test, escooters don't (currently). The majority of scooter riders I've seen don't seem to have had any training whatsoever. On pavements, cyclepaths (including one I estimate doing 30mph overtaking fast roadies), people trying to balance shopping bags on them....kids in main traffic etc. And if you raise a concern, you're seen as 'stuck in the past' and 'spoiling the fun' etc, etc.

Not much fun if you go under an HGV...Or any fun for some poor innocent ped/driver who gets hit by one of these things. The Tories are also utterly useless in policing any of it.

Top Bottom