Accie's fake Rolex.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Question. Will the one below have a decent selling price, as in if I bought it would I be able to sell it, providing I wanted to, for around the same price I paid, or even more than I paid? It's a bit hard to see the little card with the details, but it says Omega Constellation 2019 Box & Papers Pre-Owned £3.750.00

View attachment 688954

The Omega Constellation isn’t a model that it rare, as highly desired at the Speedmaster, or difficult to buy new in store. Prices will therefore slide from what you pay for it and dealers always sell for more than in a private sale, they have overheads after all.

in saying that, prices are softening at the moment, even in Rolex, and may continue to do so for a while longer, so if it’s something you want to buy and wear then it’s a pretty good time to do so.

Drago

Legendary Member
Who wants an Omega, common, badly made muck ;)

For example, the Speedmaster is regarded in some quarters as a starter watch for serious enthusiasts.

It also has the dubious honour of being the first watch to break in space, when the glass fell off Dave Scott's on the moon. Scott had to use his personal Bulova after that, and following the incidents many Apollo astronauts preferred to pay for a Rolex themselves and use that instead, the photos of Gene Cernan's Rolex GMT Master being taped to a velcro band for use over a spacesuit being the classic example of this.

Apollo-17-Mission-Commander-Eugene-A.-Cernan-Pepsi-GMT-Master.jpg

When you want something that has to be relied upon, and its coming out your own pocket, no man of action (or even chick of action in these enlightened modern times) chooses an Omega.

Last edited:
Who wants an Omega, common, badly made muck ;)

For example, the Speedmaster is regarded in some quarters as a starter watch for serious enthusiasts.

It also has the dubious honour of being the first watch to break in space, when the glass fell off Dave Scott's on the moon. Scott had to use his personal Bulova after that, and following the incidents many Apollo astronauts preferred to pay for a Rolex themselves and use that instead, the photos of Gene Cernan's Rolex GMT Master being taped to a velcro band for use over a spacesuit being the classic example of this.

View attachment 688959

When you want something that has to be relied upon, and its coming out your own pocket, no man of action (or even chick of action in these enlightened modern times) chooses an Omega.

The Bulova mentioned. Worn during the Apollo 15 mission.

IMG_0282.jpeg

Apparently Charlie Duke lost the crystal from his Speedmaster too during the Apollo 16 mission

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice pic @Regular.Cyclist

Ironically, that is the model that had competed against the Omega for the NASA contract and lost. Dave Scott had become friendly with the senior man at Bulova and had been given the watch as a gift, and in return been asked to take it along - albeit it was not scheduled for use on the Moon walk - and report back. Good thing hed taken ot along as the watched were used for timing processes and experiments, Note the shape of the buttons designed to be operated while wearing space suit gloves.

Bulova do quite a nice modern homage for not too much cash and I am tempted to acquire one for the collection.

The Omega Constellation isn’t a model that it rare, as highly desired at the Speedmaster, or difficult to buy new in store. Prices will therefore slide from what you pay for it and dealers always sell for more than in a private sale, they have overheads after all.

in saying that, prices are softening at the moment, even in Rolex, and may continue to do so for a while longer, so if it’s something you want to buy and wear then it’s a pretty good time to do so.

Yeah, but a Connie and a Speedmaster are two completely different kettles of fish. Might as well compare chocolate and pizza, since one's a dress watch and the other is a tool watch. That's regardless of whether you're talking modern or vintage.

I'd beg to differ about the Connie not being as desirable as the Speedie, simply down to the number of fakes for sale that the really knowledgeable peeps can point out. I'm a nerdette (admittedly not watches), but these people out-nerd me by several factors.

Not that I can wear either anyway, as they'll both look like I'm wearing dinner plates on my wrist... :blush: I have a lovely early 1970s ladies' ss Geneve tank instead.

Yeah, but a Connie and a Speedmaster are two completely different kettles of fish. Might as well compare chocolate and pizza, since one's a dress watch and the other is a tool watch. That's regardless of whether you're talking modern or vintage.

I'd beg to differ about the Connie not being as desirable as the Speedie, simply down to the number of fakes for sale that the really knowledgeable peeps can point out. I'm a nerdette (admittedly not watches), but these people out-nerd me by several factors.

Not that I can wear either anyway, as they'll both look like I'm wearing dinner plates on my wrist... :blush: I have a lovely early 1970s ladies' ss Geneve tank instead.

Constellations trade well below RRP as opposed to the Speedmaster which trades closer to RRP long with some rarer and vintage examples trading well above. Check out pri on both on Chrono24 or similar. The Speedmaster outsells the Consternation too by some way.

Replace the word ‘desirable‘ to ‘In demand’ or something similar, but the figures talk for themselves.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I spoke to my goldsmith/jeweler/minor watch repairer friend today. He said https://www.bqwatches.com/ is the best place to buy 'pre-loved' watches. He said buying from even reputable jewelers/watch sellers means you're paying the middle man, when you don't have to. He had a look at the BQ Watches site and said this Rolex is far better than the Omega I saw yesterday at the same price.

45174_1.jpg

https://www.bqwatches.com/product/rolex-air-king-40/

But the Rolex was made in 1960 making it as old as me! He said it'll have been serviced, cleaned and polished before being put up for sale. Plus they offer a 2 year warranty and 14 days free return if you're not happy with it.

Constellations trade well below RRP as opposed to the Speedmaster which trades closer to RRP long with some rarer and vintage examples trading well above. Check out pri on both on Chrono24 or similar. The Speedmaster outsells the Consternation too by some way.

Replace the word ‘desirable‘ to ‘In demand’ or something similar, but the figures talk for themselves.

The prices on Chrono24 are overinflated at best. It's not a place I'd go to look at to find out where the asking price of a particular watch should sit. The site's got its uses though, as you can learn a lot by looking at the pics. I'd much rather do my homework and go for a private sale if I can.

Mind you, I'm a vintage kind of girl, the youngest watch I've got is from 1977.

As for Connies and Speedies, fashion and market trends are definitely a factor. It seems like personal taste has gone straight out of the window in a bid to be trendy. Or appear knowledgeable. But trends in anything, not just watches, blow as the wind.

Me? I just buy what I like.

I spoke to my goldsmith/jeweler/minor watch repairer friend today. He said https://www.bqwatches.com/ is the best place to buy 'pre-loved' watches. He said buying from even reputable jewelers/watch sellers means you're paying the middle man, when you don't have to. He had a look at the BQ Watches site and said this Rolex is far better than the Omega I saw yesterday at the same price.

View attachment 689031

https://www.bqwatches.com/product/rolex-air-king-40/

But the Rolex was made in 1960 making it as old as me! He said it'll have been serviced, cleaned and polished before being put up for sale. Plus they offer a 2 year warranty and 14 days free return if you're not happy with it.

That's nice. Clean, simple, can dress up or down and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Properly cared for, it'll chunter along for another 60 years. Just please don't get the case polished as you'll end up with a "soft" looking case, and lose all the lovely brushing to boot. It's good as it is.

It's a year or two older than the cushion-cased Zitura I'm wearing today. There's something very satisfying about a lovely vintage mechanical watch.

Top Bottom