Accy junior pick pocketed,losing new 800 quid phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It happened in Manchester yesterday. According to her mum,she was outside a cake shop when she reached into her pocket to find it'd been stolen. She's distraught as she's only had it for 22 days and again according to her mum it cost over £800 and it wasn't insured. It wasn't an unnecessary expense as she needs it for her job(estate agent),like many do these days. Daughter said there wasn't any cctv around. She's reported it to the police,but i don't hold out much hope of it being recovered. I don't have any hate feelings for the thieves,i just want her to get her new phone back,but like i said,i can't see it happening.:sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been thinking since being told about it. Should i buy her another one and try and put the theft down to "another lesson in the school of life",as my dad used to say.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nobody 'needs' a phone that costs £800... They 'want' an £800 phone! There are plenty of excellent phones for £250-500 and a 2 year old phone would be available for a fraction of what it cost new.

I bought my phone on ebay a few years ago for about £80. It was over £400 when it was new a couple of years before that.

Should i buy her another one and try and put the theft down to "another lesson in the school of life",as my dad used to say.
What's the lesson there... 'Be careless, don't worry, dad will foot the bill'? :whistle:

I think the lesson should be - look after your expensive phone and insure it just-in-case, because it will cost a lot of money to replace!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What's the lesson there... 'Be careless, don't worry, dad will foot the bill'? :whistle:

I think the lesson should be - look after your expensive phone and insure it just-in-case, because it will cost a lot of money to replace!
Yes,i'm not too happy she didn't get it insured! I'm not a 'I'll bail you out' dad,so i don't think she'd have been thinking if it gets stolen he'll buy me another one. If i'd spent 800 pounds (no way would that happen) on a phone i'd have kept the thing in an inside pocket.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
She's got a job, she can replace her own phone, and maybe learn a lesson.
My Moto E5+ was reduced to £100 recently so I bought two. Passed my broken screen one onto my youngest as his first smart phone. I got a new one and the other is in a drawer just in case. They are great phones, no need to spend £800!!!

1st world problems.....

Chris S

Legendary Member
Nobody 'needs' a phone that costs £800...
If she's an estate agent then she needs to make the right impression.

mustang1

Guru
If she's an estate agent then she needs to make the right impression.
+1. It's not just the technical features of the phone, but it could be the impression one makes. Those Android phones (like the one I have) are just not in the same cache league as an iPhone.

An estate agent does not need to take clients to various locations in a newish Volvo SUV, an old Ford Focus, as long as it's clean, does teh same job. Only, it does NOT do the same job as you are more likely to show your success with the newer Volvo (or iPhone). You can wear jeans and a t-shirt to show clients around, or a professional looking suit.

An iPhone could be considered as part of an unwritten-rule-uniform kind of thing to set favourable impressions.

If one is a geek, one does not care about impressions too much. Outside of that domain, iPhones and the like matter.

But what is Accy to do about it? Uhm, well, nothing I guess. If this is her first job, maybe you can pay a few hundred towards the cost of a reasonably good phone and if daughter wants iPhone, she can pay the remainder. That way you look like a good dad which I'm sure you are, and daughter learns a thing or two about school of life by having to stump up some cash.

screenman

Legendary Member
+1. It's not just the technical features of the phone, but it could be the impression one makes. Those Android phones (like the one I have) are just not in the same cache league as an iPhone.

An estate agent does not need to take clients to various locations in a newish Volvo SUV, an old Ford Focus, as long as it's clean, does teh same job. Only, it does NOT do the same job as you are more likely to show your success with the newer Volvo (or iPhone). You can wear jeans and a t-shirt to show clients around, or a professional looking suit.

An iPhone could be considered as part of an unwritten-rule-uniform kind of thing to set favourable impressions.

If one is a geek, one does not care about impressions too much. Outside of that domain, iPhones and the like matter.

But what is Accy to do about it? Uhm, well, nothing I guess. If this is her first job, maybe you can pay a few hundred towards the cost of a reasonably good phone and if daughter wants iPhone, she can pay the remainder. That way you look like a good dad which I'm sure you are, and daughter learns a thing or two about school of life by having to stump up some cash.

I have used estate agents a good few times, what does a expensive phone look like? All the flash and none of the cash does not impress a large percentage of people out there in my humble.

screenman

Legendary Member
As for what Accy should do, nothing is my answer, life is tough and the faster people learn that the better. There are many things worth being rewarded for being slack with £800 worth of phone is not.

Reactions: mjr

Absolute rubbish.

mustang1

Guru
I have used estate agents a good few times, what does a expensive phone look like? All the flash and none of the cash does not impress a large percentage of people out there in my humble.

Shrugs. I could be wrong but I thought image counted for a lot in that line of business.

Top Bottom