Accy junior pick pocketed,losing new 800 quid phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Do phones have geolocating counter theft features so you know where they are

Grandson had his I phone stolen on Majorca, well they actualy pinched his jeans from the beach while he was otherwise occupied, the phone was in his pocket. it was geolocated in China, he never got it back, but after a lot of hassle the insurance paid out.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Presumably she’s followed all the steps to ensure that the thieves cannot use it! Here the advice from Apple
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201472

None of those steps appears to render a phone unusable. If there was a foolproof way to achieve that, then there would be no point in thieves stealing phones.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
She's got a job, she can replace her own phone, and maybe learn a lesson.
My Moto E5+ was reduced to £100 recently so I bought two. Passed my broken screen one onto my youngest as his first smart phone. I got a new one and the other is in a drawer just in case. They are great phones, no need to spend £800!!!

1st world problems.....
ILikeSkol, that's a great idea- may I ask which sim you use? Is it a pay as you go one or a monthly contract sim?
I get my son's old cast-offs when he gets a new one!

D

Deleted member 26715

No that's simply not the case, unfortunately, have a look at the spec of your £100 phone & then compare it to Apple.
No, how about you advise what you can do on your Apple that I cannot do on my £100 Chinese Android.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm surprised any estate agent company expects their representatives to use their own personal phone for business?
Im not an estate agent but all my jobs have required the use of a phone. If my company needs me to do emails and calls on the road, they provide the phone and they pay the bill. If the phone is lost, they replace it. I thought that was pretty standard. 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 26715

I thought that was pretty standard. 🤷‍♂️
I've never had a phone provided in the last 20 years,

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've never had a phone provided in the last 20 years,
Conversely I haven’t own my own phone since 1999.
Every phone I have had since then has been fully funded by my various employers.
I must have saved £1000s over 20 years on contracts, calls and phones.

vickster

Legendary Member
My limited company paid for my phone, the companies I contract for don't (usually) provide a phone

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have used estate agents a good few times, what does a expensive phone look like? All the flash and none of the cash does not impress a large percentage of people out there in my humble.
Agree. A £180 Motorolla looks as smart as an £880 iphone. In fact all modern phones look posh these days, big screens and all that. If someone is impressed by someone using an £800 phone, then I think that says more about the onlooker than it does the phone user.

She's working, she'll get another (cheaper) phone and hopefully insure it this time

+1. It's not just the technical features of the phone, but it could be the impression one makes. Those Android phones (like the one I have) are just not in the same cache league as an iPhone.

An estate agent does not need to take clients to various locations in a newish Volvo SUV, an old Ford Focus, as long as it's clean, does teh same job. Only, it does NOT do the same job as you are more likely to show your success with the newer Volvo (or iPhone). You can wear jeans and a t-shirt to show clients around, or a professional looking suit.

An iPhone could be considered as part of an unwritten-rule-uniform kind of thing to set favourable impressions.

If one is a geek, one does not care about impressions too much. Outside of that domain, iPhones and the like matter.

But what is Accy to do about it? Uhm, well, nothing I guess. If this is her first job, maybe you can pay a few hundred towards the cost of a reasonably good phone and if daughter wants iPhone, she can pay the remainder. That way you look like a good dad which I'm sure you are, and daughter learns a thing or two about school of life by having to stump up some cash.

Pffft. My wife's iPhone is rubbish compared to my Android. iPhones are for the gullible.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm considering a Moto e5 plus too I have a e4 plus and it's ok but the os is getting a bit behind.
I use gift gaff rolling 1 month contract which I can change or cancel anytime

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Presumably she traced her steps backwards via all the shops she went in to find out if she had inadvertently left it on the counter & had not been pickpocketed in the first place.
Like this... :whistle:
I found an iPhone in a local pub a couple of months ago so I handed it in at the bar in case anybody came looking for it.

About 10 minutes later an old man and a boy walked in and started looking around about the table where I'd found the phone. I asked the old fella if he'd lost something and he said he thought he might have dropped his phone there earlier in the day. He was pretty happy when I said the bar staff had it by the till.

He'd been on a day trip from Leeds with his grandson and was just about to get on the train home when he'd noticed that the phone was missing.

Top Bottom