Accy junior pick pocketed,losing new 800 quid phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

What sort of line of work are you in if you don't mind me asking?
Telephony :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

Then i can't see a problem. I don't suppose it's the police's job to track it down and nick the holder of the phone though. Maybe the thief can turn off the tracking device.🤔
Aynoe can switch off the tracking device on any phone, there's usually a button on the side that says Off, once switched off they are untraceable.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Aynoe can switch off the tracking device on any phone, there's usually a button on the side that says Off, once switched off they are untraceable.
You'd think that wouldn't be possible. Surely only a thief would want to turn the tracking device off. If they can turn it off what's the point of having a tracking device?!🤔

D

Deleted member 26715

You'd think that wouldn't be possible. Surely only a thief would want to turn the tracking device off. If they can turn it off what's the point of having a tracking device?!🤔
You didn't read what I put, the big switch on the side is to switch the phone off, once it's switched off then it cannot be tracked, just like a car that gets stolen that has a tracker fitted with no auxillary battery, open bonnet disconnect main battery, car is invisible to tracking system.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You didn't read what I put, the big switch on the side is to switch the phone off, once it's switched off then it cannot be tracked, just like a car that gets stolen that has a tracker fitted with no auxillary battery, open bonnet disconnect main battery, car is invisible to tracking system.
Thieves are so ingenious at finding ways to defraud people- if they'd only put all that imagination and planning into legitimate work they could be really successful!

D

Deleted member 26715

Thieves are so ingenious at finding ways to defraud people- if they'd only put all that imagination and planning into legitimate work they could be really successful!
But it's their job, I do a lot with fraud within my industry & liaise with Police etc. when they arrest people they do often class the crime as their work.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Grandson had his I phone stolen on Majorca, well they actualy pinched his jeans from the beach while he was otherwise occupied, the phone was in his pocket. it was geolocated in China, he never got it back, but after a lot of hassle the insurance paid out.

Hate it when insurance companies try and wriggle their way out of their obligations.

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's the thing that riles me. So much personal data on such devices as well, they're stolen, they break if you so much as look at them wrong and some brick during the update process. I fix some such devices as part of my living. I've had people leave memory cards in, sensitive photo's and documents including on one occasion a photo of the front and back of a credit card! So, when you think your phone has been stolen, what is really being stolen!?

Yes, and the CEX shop is a good place for thieves too.

I had to concentrate hard to make sure i got that spelling right...
Yeah good thing the spell checker changed it to CEX for you. ^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
ILikeSkol, that's a great idea- may I ask which sim you use? Is it a pay as you go one or a monthly contract sim?
I get my son's old cast-offs when he gets a new one!
I use a pay monthly sim from my broadband provider. It was free for a couple of years but they eventually started charging for it, £3pcm. Only 0.5GB but that is enough for me 11 out of 12 months a year. Wife and 2 kids are also on cheap contract SIM only deals. Two with plusnet for £5.25pcm/1.5GB and the youngest has a similar deal with O2. I set a data limit on the phones so I don't ever get charged more than the base monthly amount.
It works really well, we use phones that we buy outright when we see offers or snap up older models that have been superseded only when we need them, apart from my E5 bulk advance purchase which was too good a phone at a ridiculous price to miss (actually only cost £93ea because I get a discount at Argos :laugh:).

A family of four on contract SIM only with data for less than £20 a month. Looks almost reasonable to me.

Drago

Legendary Member
As someone qualified, trained and entrusted to track mobile phones for the police to assist in locating missing persons, I can confirm it isn't always accurate, although sometimes it's spot-on - the number of variables is huge.

If the phone is switched off, it won't work. If it's been stolen and the IMEI blacklisted, it won't work.

And if it does work, then what? The tracking isn't reliable enough that courts will issue warrants on the strength of it, so there's no kicking in of doors and people being clapped in irons at the other end of the process.

Last edited:
Top Bottom