Accy junior pick pocketed,losing new 800 quid phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I just can't see anyone turning down a 250k house because the estate agent had the wrong phone :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Try, you've nowt to lose.

Put #31# before her number and they'll not get yours.
I tried #31#,but it didn't work. I then put 141 before her number and rang,but that also didn't work. Then i just phoned her number out of my directory and it rang. Then it went onto her answer phone. I didn't say anything. Why haven't they taken her SIM card out i wonder?🤔

classic33

Leg End Member
I tried #31#,but it didn't work. I then put 141 before her number and rang,but that also didn't work. Then i just phoned her number out of my directory and it rang. Then it went onto her answer phone. I didn't say anything. Why haven't they taken her SIM card out i wonder?🤔
They may well have done, the number is live until she notifies her provider of the loss.

It's the same as calling a phone that's switched off.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
For those who seem to think being an estate agent is somewhat a 'non entity' job,i'd just like to say that she's a junior partner in the firm. She spent her own savings on buying a 25% interest in the firm. I think that was a pretty good yet risky decision. At least she isn't pushing a pram around at 23,with a ciggie hanging out her mouth,living off benefits, like many i see around here!

I'm still thinking about buying her a replacement. We've had our ups and downs,far more downs than ups since me and her mother separated. Yes, i know you can't buy love/affection,but maybe if i did buy her one she'd stop thinking of me as some kind of monster.🤔

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I know people are scoffing at the requirement for an £800 phone, but for an estate agent I would think that maps, photos, email and web browsing would be necessary. Doesn't mean you need a top of the range phone, but something better than a five pound el cheapo.

All of which are on the £4.99 phone. The idea that an estate agent needs a £800 phone to do their job is laughable. But the idea that an estate agent is accessing email or using the phone whilst out and about is scary.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I didn't realise until reading this thread that estate agents are in prestige positions*.

* whatever that is
Which is what makes it so important for them to appear to be.

See also People, Cars.

Etc

Sorry to hear of your daughter's experience, Accy. Horrible thing to happen to her, but this is how we learn: by bruising our knees. This is where we start to learn the grown up stuff like being careful with things that matter, and insurance, and how £40 a month for two years with nothing to show for it feels.

I have never owned a phone that says more about me than cash ever can. My current phone is by a margin the fanciest one I've ever owned, and it was £130 off eBay. Samsung S7 Edge, in perfect nick. After a year I really can't fault it in any way. I suppose the truth is, if everyone in her office has one (assuming it was an iPhone), she has to have one too. It has nothing to do with function. It's about what it supposedly says about you. And in some jobs it certainly does matter, however plastic others might find it.

See what the network operator has to say first. Depending on that, reality check. No-one can afford repeated £800 hits. I suspect, too, that insurance for an £800 mobile doesn't come cheap. Check eBay, do some research. Buy the phone that was winning awards three years ago, well rated for things that are important to you. (In my case photography - the S7 Edge was one generation on from Samsung's 'iPhone-beater'.) Unless, as I say, everyone else in her office is Apple, in which case I'm afraid she's farked.

Oh, sorry, should you bail her out? No. I wouldn't. Help out, maybe, but bail out? No. This will hurt; it should. An important life lesson, probably good value at £800, in the great scheme of things. Even if it probably doesn't look that way right now...

*beats me

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
All of which are on the £4.99 phone. The idea that an estate agent needs a £800 phone to do their job is laughable. But the idea that an estate agent is accessing email or using the phone whilst out and about is scary.
I literally said an £800 phone was unnecessary. But why wouldn't an estate agent access email while out and about? Surely it's in the nature of the job that they need to be able to work while away from the office. And if you have trouble even texting on your £5 el cheapo then I wouldn't want to rely on it for other functions. Sure it's probably ideal for when you're out on the bike but that's a different situation.

Edit: I also wouldn't want to show clients any photos or other info on that £5 phone, simply because the screen is small and likely to be a bit crap. And I bet the camera itself is not really good enough for photos which will potentially be shown to clients either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No. I wouldn't. Help out, maybe, but bail out?
The money i have is sat there in a bank account. I don't touch it,it's just there doing nothing. Not even accruing interest! To give her say a grand would give me pleasure and that's saying something coming from a tight wad! My mum and dad bailed me out many times,so why not bail my offspring out like they did. I don't want to phone her mum and say i'm thinking about it as if i then decide not to that'll make things worse. I'm going to sleep on this one and decided tomorrow.🤔

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It happened in Manchester yesterday. According to her mum,she was outside a cake shop when she reached into her pocket to find it'd been stolen. She's distraught as she's only had it for 22 days and again according to her mum it cost over £800 and it wasn't insured. It wasn't an unnecessary expense as she needs it for her job(estate agent),like many do these days. Daughter said there wasn't any cctv around. She's reported it to the police,but i don't hold out much hope of it being recovered. I don't have any hate feelings for the thieves,i just want her to get her new phone back,but like i said,i can't see it happening.:sad:
It's very simple. If your daughter needs a phone for work her employer should provide it, pay all costs and ensure it is covered by the business insurance. Your daughter should not be in anyway responsible for supplying the tools required for her job. If the employer does expect employees to supply their own equipment suggest she looks for a new job with a decent company.

As the father in the situation you describe you are not supporting your daughter but you are supporting the dodgy estate agency she works for!

Do nothing. It's not your problem.

classic33

Leg End Member
The money i have is sat there in a bank account. I don't touch it,it's just there doing nothing. Not even accruing interest! To give her say a grand would give me pleasure and that's saying something coming from a tight wad! My mum and dad bailed me out many times,so why not bail my offspring out like they did. I don't want to phone her mum and say i'm thinking about it as if i then decide not to that'll make things worse. I'm going to sleep on this one and decided tomorrow.🤔
Wait until you hear that the provider has been told, and what their response was, before deciding anything.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I literally said an £800 phone was unnecessary. But why wouldn't an estate agent access email while out and about? Surely it's in the nature of the job that they need to be able to work while away from the office. And if you have trouble even texting on your £5 el cheapo then I wouldn't want to rely on it for other functions. Sure it's probably ideal for when you're out on the bike but that's a different situation.

Edit: I also wouldn't want to show clients any photos or other info on that £5 phone, simply because the screen is small and likely to be a bit crap. And I bet the camera itself is not really good enough for photos which will potentially be shown to clients either.

When they are out an out out they are with a client. I’d be very rude to be doing email whilst with them. There would be nothing that could not wait till back in the office or dealt with by someone else.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
She doesn't work for them,she's a partner in the firm. Surely as a part owner of the firm it's partly up to her to provide work equipment,so yes,she provided herself with a phone.
Nope. Partner, employee, director or whatever it's the company's responsibility to provide the equipment required to do the job.

Your daughter is a partner in a company and you want to give the company £800?? It's utterly ridiculous. Throughout my entire working life I had a mobile phone - from brick size upwards. In 40+ years I never paid a penny towards the cost. The day I retired I bought a phone -£150.

I hate to tell you this but someone is taking advantage of you and having a laugh at your expense.

You're the father not the employer/company.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
She doesn't work for them,she's a partner in the firm. Surely as a part owner of the firm it's partly up to her to provide work equipment,so yes,she provided herself with a phone.
Accy, you're digging a big hole even deeper... if she's a partner in her own firm then she should have a business contract and have a back-up plan with business interruption insurance for just this sort of situation... it's getting worse. Bail out while you can!

Top Bottom