Accy junior pick pocketed,losing new 800 quid phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Difficult to tell really. Your argument is pretty confrontational and just seems to challenge other peoples posts rather than contributing anything positive to the discussion.
My argument is that smartphones are useful, particularly for someone in a job such as an estate agent, a very expensive one is probably unnecessary but a very cheap one is probably not that useful for that particular application.

🤷‍♂️

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Glad we cleared that up. See, it isn't actually hard to say what you mean in a clear manner that isn't open to misinterpretation after all.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Honestly, genuinely and truly I have no idea what's not clear about:

I know people are scoffing at the requirement for an £800 phone, but for an estate agent I would think that maps, photos, email and web browsing would be necessary. Doesn't mean you need a top of the range phone, but something better than a five pound el cheapo.

which I seem to have posted about five hours ago.

screenman

Legendary Member
It's very simple. If your daughter needs a phone for work her employer should provide it, pay all costs and ensure it is covered by the business insurance. Your daughter should not be in anyway responsible for supplying the tools required for her job. If the employer does expect employees to supply their own equipment suggest she looks for a new job with a decent company.

As the father in the situation you describe you are not supporting your daughter but you are supporting the dodgy estate agency she works for!

Do nothing. It's not your problem.

Err! She part owns the agency.

D

Deleted member 26715

So at the age of 23 she has amassed enough money by doing whatever prior to this to buy a 25% share in an estate agency, in which case she should be handing the money the other way, she will be claiming the £40 a month as a benefit, adding an extra receipt for another phone will not been noticed by HMRC.

I'm intrigued as to what she did prior to buying her way in, last time I heard you mention her a couple of years ago she was still at school, she seems to have aged & got wealthy very quickly.

vickster

Legendary Member
So at the age of 23 she has amassed enough money by doing whatever prior to this to buy a 25% share in an estate agency, in which case she should be handing the money the other way, she will be claiming the £40 a month as a benefit, adding an extra receipt for another phone will not been noticed by HMRC.

I'm intrigued as to what she did prior to buying her way in, last time I heard you mention her a couple of years ago she was still at school, she seems to have aged & got wealthy very quickly.
Maybe she wasn’t doing anything else prior, but working for the agency for the last 5 or 7 years and has been invited to invest and become a partner? It’s not necessarily a sign of wealth?

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member

Maybe she borrowed the money, often the case. Unless you are like my very careful (tight) kids they often do not have much in thier bank accounts, I could of course be very wrong as Accy might have installed some caniness with money into her at an early age.

I retract my previous reply upon reading she is a partner in the agency, if she is then as noted above in my oppinion shes taking the urine, it should all be covered by the firm

Chromatic

Legendary Member
The money i have is sat there in a bank account. I don't touch it,it's just there doing nothing. Not even accruing interest! To give her say a grand would give me pleasure and that's saying something coming from a tight wad! My mum and dad bailed me out many times,so why not bail my offspring out like they did. I don't want to phone her mum and say i'm thinking about it as if i then decide not to that'll make things worse. I'm going to sleep on this one and decided tomorrow.🤔

This is reason enough for doing it, let alone the fact you will be helping her out.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Maybe she wasn’t doing anything else prior, but working for the agency for the last 5 or 7 years and has been invited to invest and become a partner? It’s not necessarily a sign of wealth?
Maybe she borrowed the money, often the case. Unless you are like my very careful (tight) kids they often do not have much in thier bank accounts, I could of course be very wrong as Accy might have installed some caniness with money into her at an early age.

She received quite a few thousand from her grandma's (my mother) will,after she died 2 years ago. Her other grandma has been putting money into an account for her since she was born and i think her living grandma might've chipped in another few thousand as well. She's been saving up since,albeit not a lot,as up till her buying into the firm she's always been on the minimum wage. This is the main reason she's become a partner rather than an employee as if she was still an employee she'd have another 17 months before she reaches adult rate (25) minimum wage and even then,it's not a great hourly rate. The rest of the money she needed to buy a 25% share has come from a bank loan. Yes,it'll take quite a few years to pay it back,but at least the interest rate on her loan is quite reasonable.

Last edited:
Well, having had a daughter, who for many years blamed me for the marriage break up, eventually realised not everything her mother told her about me was true. So in answer to the original question then no I wouldn't buy her a phone.
Depending how skint she was I'd offer a loan but on agreement it would be paid back. Would this be £800 ? Certainly not, a £100 phone does all the same things but may not have the appeal of iphones.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
After thinking it over the last few days i've offered to buy her another phone. I offered to buy her the same one as she had stolen,but on a monthly contract. She thanked me and said that maybe the 800 quid one was a bit extravagant, She said last year's model does everything the £800 one does,so i'm buying her that one outright for £500. Oh and she's paying the £8 a month insurance which i insisted on her getting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
According to the former Mrs Accy, daughter keeps getting a message from Apple saying her phone's been found and she has to click on a provided link to find it,but it's a scam from the thieves. How would the thieves gain anything from doing this?🤔

Top Bottom