Accy junior pick pocketed,losing new 800 quid phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Android xx(

:whistle:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
That's the thing that riles me. So much personal data on such devices as well, they're stolen, they break if you so much as look at them wrong and some brick during the update process. I fix some such devices as part of my living. I've had people leave memory cards in, sensitive photo's and documents including on one occasion a photo of the front and back of a credit card! So, when you think your phone has been stolen, what is really being stolen!?
That looks a handy place for thieves to sell on stuff they've pinched!
Yes, and the CEX shop is a good place for thieves too.

I had to concentrate hard to make sure i got that spelling right...

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Don't these phones have tracking devices or serial numbers on them?🤔

I've asked the former Mrs Accy this,but she hasn't replied.
Yes, they have an IMEI number. Trouble is many don't even know what this is, where to find it and the fact that it exists at all...

It's normally accessed through the phone, or is on the phone box... Many throw this box away. Some Contract phones will have it located in an email or on their online account.

dodgy

Don't these phones have tracking devices or serial numbers on them?🤔

I've asked the former Mrs Accy this,but she hasn't replied.

Not sure if you've explicitly stated what kind of phone it is, I only read the first page. But if it's an iphone and 'find my iphone' is enabled, then it won't be trivial for anyone that finds it to use it again unless they know or guess the password.
I get the impression that most people who lose phones have to be reminded about the find my phone feature, and since they didn't know about it, they haven't enabled it. Anyone finding the phone will be able to reset it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Then i can't see a problem. I don't suppose it's the police's job to track it down and nick the holder of the phone though. Maybe the thief can turn off the tracking device.🤔
It's entirely possible the thief can't do anything much with the phone as hopefully your daughter had it securely locked. Has she tried to track it?

(this assumes it's an iPhone...which it may well not be as there are £800 Android phones too)

Top Bottom