Aching backside after being on the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and hope your all well.
I've been cycling regularly for the past 5 years and cover around 70/100 miles a week.In all this time I've never suffered from an aching backside apart from when I first started cycling.I have not altered anything on my bike,but this week my backside is really feeling the pain.Its notably the sit bones that's causing me discomfort.Its that bad I'm finding it painful to sit down the next day after a ride and it's now putting me off going out on the bike.
Any ideas and thoughts as to why I'm suddenly suffering a sore Arris whilst I've not changed a thing on my bike or my regular routine of cycling.
Many thanks for any replys from a rather bruised Cycle Chat member 😵

Check the saddle - has it broken or the rails snapped ? Or possibly the seatpost slipped down a bit ?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for the reply @cougie uk . Everything seems fine with the saddle apart from it's starting to look worse for wear after it's 15000 miles of use. I've been reluctant to change it as it's been so comfortable over the years

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've put a little bit of weight on @ColinJ but not massive amounts. Clothing wise I have recently purchased some cycling tights with a padded undercarriage. I wonder if it's these that may be causing me issues 🤔

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Without going into to much gory details, but after examining myself I can feel hard lumps in the fleshy part of my Arris where my sit bones are.🧐

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've put a little bit of weight on @ColinJ but not massive amounts. Clothing wise I have recently purchased some cycling tights with a padded undercarriage. I wonder if it's these that may be causing me issues 🤔

I few ounces of extra fat there and padding in places that you are not used to... It might be enough to make the difference!

Pros who ride tens of thousands of kms a year still get caught out and develop saddle sores from time to time.

I don't get the problem anywhere near as much as I did when I was really BIG, but still suffer from time to time.

I make sure that I have the same type of saddle on all of my bikes.

Sharky

Guru
Without going into to much gory details, but after examining myself I can feel hard lumps in the fleshy part of my Arris where my sit bones are.🧐

Google "lump on sit bones cycling".
Returns a few good articles on similar sounding issues.
You may have to rest the bike until the lumps disburse.
Good luck

Thanks for the reply @cougie uk . Everything seems fine with the saddle apart from it's starting to look worse for wear after it's 15000 miles of use. I've been reluctant to change it as it's been so comfortable over the years

Modern gel saddles do eventually degrade invisibly; I've been caught out by this, even in the middle of mega-mileage multi-year periods! When you compare old-with-new the simple Thumb Test shows how things change.
(I've found the cheap saddles go really soft, the better ones tend to harden up. \anecdata )

Could also be the padded tights - but decent clothing tends not to create new problems. Note "tends" ...

Have you tried a Brooks. Just had a problem with my Brooks and after the advice received on this forum all is now well. I am 78 years old and have adjusted my saddle fit as advised. Very pleased with the outcome. Basically you have to get your weight into the right place on the saddle. Tiny movements can make a big difference.

iluvmybike

Über Member
It sounds very much like sit-bone bursitis - the little sacs where the hamstring attaches swell up with fluid due to irritation. They are there to protect the bone ( you have these in knees, elbows etc as well). Don't try to keep riding - go and see a good sports physio. If left untreated it will take months to improve. I know as I'm just on the recovery path from this problem. Since January I have been having weekly physio sessions of ultrasound and hamstring massage. I have now improved but have been very restricted on mileage - starting off with 5 mile rides for a few weeks then building up to 10 and hen to 15. It's very frustrating but you can't risk pushing it as it might flare up again. At its worst I could not sit down for any length of time but am now mostly pain free. Anti-inflammatory tablets can be presribed by your gp as well to help with reducing the irritation. Patience is required...

Top Bottom