Aching legs after 30 miles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Outright pain ("torture"), as opposed to just heavy weariness sounds more like cramp than just exhaustion to me. If you've eaten well and had a good drink beforehand I wouldn't have thought you need more than a quick nibble and regular sips from your bottle, esp in current temperatures.

All I can suggest is lowering your effort level a bit, slowing down and enjoying the view (misty fields can be quite pretty). But I'm not an expert of any kind, so it's best to ignore me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But I'm not an expert of any kind, so it's best to ignore me.

In the same spirit, your nutrition looks plenty to me, although 30 miles in Northumberland could require the same effort as 50 or more in less demanding conditions.

It would be interesting - and might encourage you a bit - to try a longer flat ride.

I think you'd chalk off 50 miles no bother.

My suggestion would be put the bike in the back of the car, nip down the A1/A19 and do a loop in the Vale of York.

Johnno260

Veteran
It's just after the festive period so you may of lost a little fitness also the weather has been awful so maybe you haven't rode that much in the past few weeks.

It may of just been an off day? if the weather is bad that won't help, if you had something to drink the night before you may of been dehydrated a little that really won't help, and could be the reason your legs hurt, if I am a little dehydrated I suffer from awful leg cramps.

Maybe find a LBS and get them to check your riding position?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you fit enough for what you are trying to do? I doubt it. In honesty we have old biddies around the village that do more miles per year than that just going to the shops.

What I would say is well done for completing such a distance, most of the UK population could get nowhere near that mileage in one month let alone one go.
Do you reckon? It's less than one daily round trip to the village shop or school.

Doing it in one go is a bit different, though. I suspect low saddle (the braking comment makes me wonder if the bike needs some fixup) or insufficient food or drink for how the rider is feeling that day, but who knows?

OP
OP
iancity

iancity

Veteran
Hi all, thanks for the comments and advice (especially annedonnely who even managed to guess the correct bank!!!, well impressed :-)
There are no problems with the bike or set up I dont think, had a professional fit 2 years ago and feel extremely comfortable on it. And no, I dont have a cold and touch wood I'm not getting one.

For those asking, I'm 48, 6" and 14st 6.

The pain didnt feel like cramp to be honest. It did go after 30 mins in the bath and have had no effects since so it may have been ?. I sometimes get cramps in my calf's and the pain was definitely different tho , hard to explain :-(

S-express and ColinJ I think nail it, just need to do more, and with less gaps between the riding. FWIW I dont enjoy group rides, very much a solo cyclist (mainly because I cant keep up with anyone and like to stop often tho!).

Again, thanks for all the replies :-)

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Funny I know quite a few members of our cycling club that also struggle to keep up and like to stop often, you need never be alone as a cyclist unless you want to be.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
FWIW I dont enjoy group rides, very much a solo cyclist (mainly because I cant keep up with anyone and like to stop often tho!).
A friend went out with the local CTC group a few times. He said he liked the people but stopped going because they often called in at 2 or 3 cafes in a 30 mile ride and they only averaged about 10 mph. It was not really his style of riding, but maybe something like that would suit you?

ayceejay

Guru
Although there is not universal agreement on pre ride (static) stretching most trainers would agree that someone at your level of fitness and age (maybe everyone) should warm up by riding easy before making any real effort and since you tackled your hill at only 2 miles I doubt that you did this. Furthermore since heat (your warm bath) was the fix it seems likely that cold was the cause. Embrocation does not have the cache amongst cyclists it once had but you might want to look at that or try leg warmers that you can take off should you overheat.

Johnno260

Veteran
If it's coldness try investing in some decent tights, mine are doubled layered around the knees as if my knees get cold its game over, would warm compression tights help?

Dreamer21

Hi I'm similar too you when I went on my 1st big ride I was going up a few hills and got hit with calve pains it felt like knives where going through them as I was pedalling. When I got home I put ice on for 10 mins and then I rolled my legs out with a foam roller but if you don't have one use a ball or bottle it really helped.

Just wondering how long dose it take you to complete let's say a 25 mile ride?

si_c

Guru
I think others have nailed it above. I'd guess that it's most likely a combination of it being cold (went for a 8 mile ride the other day, came back with sore quads, and I'm quite comfortable doing significantly further), plus needing to get out and ride more often. I'm also going to guess that last time you did a 40 mile ride, or the problem hill, it was much warmer.

If you are doing a 20-30 mile ride once a week, I'd suggest trying to throw in a couple of 10milers during the week if you have the time, if you have good lights then even at this time of year an evening ride is perfectly doable.

Top Bottom